• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having spent 27 years south of Buffalo, NY and 37 years just south of the adirondacks, I ignored the weather also, when shooting called. Lotsa “old fools” out here.
i have to contest you making claim to this particular group! I see you live on Hilton Head. no "Old Fool" there!:D
two weeks into snow season here and i am tired of it already!

i have to contest you making claim to this particular group! I see you live on Hilton Head. no "Old Fool" there!:D
two weeks into snow season here and i am tired of it already!
Yep, 64 years of NY snows and crippling politics, drove me south. Now I’m just a73 year old BP Fool and enjoying it!i

Ground up some venison and pork for burgers this afternoon and Cooked some this evening. The kids loved them and I think it was really one of the best hamburgers I have had.
Life is good 👍🏻

Attachments

• 5B1EAAF4-CDD5-4237-A0B2-D8CDAF16A7E9.jpeg
    5B1EAAF4-CDD5-4237-A0B2-D8CDAF16A7E9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E6AF1839-DE70-4B1F-A0FB-46D02777CC5E.jpeg
    E6AF1839-DE70-4B1F-A0FB-46D02777CC5E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I bought a gun online.
I pondered ways to use my Snider as a muzzle loader. I came up with a few ideas.
I debated buying a cheap (thin) chamois leather to use to try leather bound balls. They are quite large and quite cheap
I also considered the purchase of an ottoman rifle. But it would be a wall hanger. They are so beautiful I would not dare to shoot it in case of damage.

Last edited:
After shooting cap and ball revolvers for a while, at 77, I decided to try and learn some new tricks and get a percussion rifle. Not too much available right now. Shopping on line takes far more energy than shooting. I ended up ordering a 50 cal. Investarms Hawken from Dixie Gun works. Invested about $700 in the gun and necessary stuff to get started, taxes and shipping. I'm planning on using the fffg black powder I have on hand rather than shop for ffg. Is that a problem?

After shooting cap and ball revolvers for a while, at 77, I decided to try and learn some new tricks and get a percussion rifle. Not too much available right now. Shopping on line takes far more energy than shooting. I ended up ordering a 50 cal. Investarms Hawken from Dixie Gun works. Invested about $700 in the gun and necessary stuff to get started, taxes and shipping. I'm planning on using the fffg black powder I have on hand rather than shop for ffg. Is that a problem?

I shoot 3Fg in my .50s, one of which is an Investarm Hawken.

FWIW, I found that my rifle doesn't shoot as accurately with light loads as with 60 - 70 grains of powder. I shoot a .490 ball and use .018 pillow ticking for patches.

no problem. you are set to rock and roll!

Nope, I prefer 3F in all my guns including 58 cal. Muskets. In my 50 cal Hatfield, I use 30 gr at 25 yds., 35 gr at 50 yds and 45 grains at 100yds. .490 ball, .018 ticking and dawn (10-20%) solution for lube at range. Bore butter for hunting. I think 3F burns cleaner and is fouls less. Also, Ive taken to seating my PRB with a moistened patch. A bit of fouling is removed and your barrel condition is consistent in doing so. Good luck with the new toy!

I’m actually getting to where I prefer 3F in my .50’s. A .50 can use either successfully.

Worked on the little Traditions rifle I bought for the grandkids. Finished smoothing out the lock and trigger and have them back together. Stripped the barrel to reblue and did the worst job I’ve ever done. Looks terrible. Not sure what happened but I’ll try again tomorrow. My SMR kit is supposed to arrive Thursday, looking forward to that.

Back