• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intended on shooting a bunny so Max, my new Bassett puppy would get the idea of why he came to live here. Dug out my original 12 ga. single barrel smooth bore ( Adams from Ilion with a Spies lock) unshot nor fooled with since 2004. Re-discovered nipple takes #12 caps - of which I own seven total in an antique "Goldmark" tin. Remembered at that point why it was stashed away in the first place. Oh, well.

Chucked nipple into a cordless drill, applied a fine-tooth file, and ground down the nipple. Mission accomplished, Management (wife) implored replacement of outside floodlights a necessary task outweighing Max's first bunny hunt. Dogs, cats, and I ate leftover turkey. No bunnies were bothered today.

cut and did the layout on hree wood blocks to make cartridge boxes for .36 caliber my paper cartridges.
Drilling holes in a day or two when my shop warms up.
Did some bench cleaning up and found a tin of CCI#11 caps! That was a nice. surprise
Bunk

Was at a small local gun show with a buddy. Not looking for anything specific, just wanted to get out of the house.

Fellow had a 1st edition Lyman Black Powder handbook from 1975 and a Black Powder Gun Digest from 1972 - both for $5. That Lyman is the one that has FFFFg load data for Ruger Old Army's.

As a side bonus another exhibitor saw me carrying those two books and wanted to know if I wanted some more. He had about a dozen various reloading manuals he was tired of moving from show to show and gave them to me for free.

Works for me.....

Started to do an inventory of all my BP stuff. I had a knee surgery Monday so I can't get around to well. My choices were have surgery before PA opening for rifle or wait until Christmas time frame. I didnt want to miss muzzleloader season so the choice was easy.

Dragged a couple pistols out of the vault and cleaned them up, in preparation for taking them to the range tommorow. On is an import, the other is a Colt 3rd generation. 1851. I actually prefer the import as the trigger guard is considerably bigger and fits my trigger finger, unlike the Colt.. which is quite small

Attachments

• image_2022-11-26_210136818.png
    image_2022-11-26_210136818.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Spent the day melting down lead casting .45 round balls then made a batch of homemade black powder love shooting the real black powder and love to price $5.00 a pound and the satisfaction of shooting real black that I made 👍

A little over a year ago I was driving home from town one Saturday and saw a sign by my neighbor’s drive. The text was too small to read until I was right close but it said “Man’s Yard Sale Today”. My truck involuntary came to a screeching stop, backed up, and pulled into his drive. One of the things he had for sale was a Thompson Center New Englander marked $60! It’s a .50 caliber with a black synthetic stock. Since I had already spent nearly $3,000 (a Weatherby unmentionable with a Zeiss scope was involved) I passed on the TC. I thought about that gun every so often (even though I wasn’t impressed with the synthetic stock). So I gave him a call the other day to see if he still had the gun and wanted to sell it. I figured for that price I could use it for parts if the barrel was no good. He did so I went by to pick it up. He also “found” three tins of caps that he included as well! The bore was very dirty but it cleaned up real nice.

I haven't shot my flintlock for about 3 weeks or so, just busy with other stuff. However I checked the bore today just to see how well my last cleaning was. Shiny & patches came out looking great. Just some lube on them.

Hoppes BP cleaner & lubed with Ballistol. It works. :)

Getting back to work on a couple of horns I built a few weeks ago. Today is etching day on one of them 🙂
And enough for the day. Tedious work but love it. Hope to finish it tomorrow😎

Attachments

• 5089CAC6-CAE5-4205-9264-351F73527FF9.jpeg
    5089CAC6-CAE5-4205-9264-351F73527FF9.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Pulled the barrel off my Uberti 1851 Navy and polished the bore again with JB compound 50 strokes.
The slicker it gets the easier it is to clean.
Shooting tomorrow then start the Bore Bright to make a mirror like finish.
Only 100 strokes to go.
Respectfully
Bunk

well, i tried to sight in my TC Hawken 50 with the GM barrel, that i just installed a new old stock tang vernier sight on.
as i was assembling everything by the door i heard that soothing murmur coming from my love. "old fool"
it has been at least a week since i heard those words of endearment and wondered just what i was doing to garner such praise. when questioned my much better half just pointed to the porch thermometer.
19* and snowing.
i got 4 shots off before i wussed out.

well, i tried to sight in my TC Hawken 50 with the GM barrel, that i just installed a new old stock tang vernier sight on.
as i was assembling everything by the door i heard that soothing murmur coming from my love. "old fool"
it has been at least a week since i heard those words of endearment and wondered just what i was doing to garner such praise. when questioned my much better half just pointed to the porch thermometer.
19* and snowing.
i got 4 shots off before i wussed out.
Having spent 27 years south of Buffalo, NY and 37 years just south of the adirondacks, I ignored the weather also, when shooting called. Lotsa “old fools” out here.

Back