• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few weeks ago I ins an L&R rpl lock in my cva mountain rifle. Yesterday I filed, sanded and browned it with Plum Brown Barrel Finish. I installed it this morning. I’m hoping to shoot today after Church.
You’re going to love that lock. I’ve put one in a Hatfield and 1 in a Renegade. Quick and reliable.

Spent the morning reducing the trigger pull on an 1864 Springfield Musket. Applied some silver solder to the fire land on the tumbler, then filed a bit, reassembled, tested with a soup can with 3 - 1 lb. Lead ingots in it attached to a string and hook. Took me 3 tries but now just over 3 lbs. pull to fire gun. NMLRA requires no less than a 3 lb. Trigger pull.

Spent the morning reducing the trigger pull on an 1864 Springfield Musket. Applied some silver solder to the fire land on the tumbler, then filed a bit, reassembled, tested with a soup can with 3 - 1 lb. Lead ingots in it attached to a string and hook. Took me 3 tries but now just over 3 lbs. pull to fire gun. NMLRA requires no less than a 3 lb. Trigger pull.

Thanks for the info..
Do you mind sharing where the rule on the 3 lb trigger pull requirements is located in the NMLRA rules?
I have looked and couldn’t find anything on it..
Thanks

Its biathlon season so every morning i Xc ski out to my shooting spot and put 20 cast RB through the .50 cal Trapper.
IMG_4283.jpg

Thanks for the info..
Do you mind sharing where the rule on the 3 lb trigger pull requirements is located in the NMLRA rules?
I have looked and couldn’t find anything on it..
Thanks
Can’t really say where. Whenever I shoot at an NMLRA territorial that’s what they test to.

Thanks I found it..👍
I wonder if this only applies too muskets…

20180416-C857-4117-BE8E-E9978EF95CFD.jpeg

Maybe someone in the organization, field rep or sorts will chime in..

Thanks again, I have never read that before..👍

Last edited:
Crudely etched my name in a powder horn. I’m under no illusions that it is nice or well done, but probably realistic for the average horn back in the day.

I just used an X-a to knife and a permanent marker. For the next time I might try a scratching tool instead of a cutting tool.

Even though it is not great I am pleased with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• F94271C7-8D3C-4709-A015-98A113288A2F.jpeg
    F94271C7-8D3C-4709-A015-98A113288A2F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 9985FE41-FE33-4045-B83F-E5F9EA2E3FC0.jpeg
    9985FE41-FE33-4045-B83F-E5F9EA2E3FC0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Crudely etched my name in a powder horn. I’m under no illusions that it is nice or well done, but probably realistic for the average horn back in the day.

I just used an X-a to knife and a permanent marker. For the next time I might try a scratching tool instead of a cutting tool.

Even though it is not great I am pleased with the way it turned out.
I think that’s how they should look.

Went out to my club's monthly work/cleanup day this morning. Very foggy and cold but the fog subsided enough to shoot at 100 yards (distance of the next match, off X sticks) by the time we were ready to shoot. I wasn't super happy with my groups, dropped a couple off target on the one, but not terrible either. I'll get out there to practice once more before the match. Took some cool pics with the fog as I was pulling in to the club. Oh and since my daughter has been shooting out there with me she wanted one of the club's patches on one of her jackets like Dad has so there's a pic of us with our patches. She turns 9 on Monday, born Thanksgiving day 2013. I'm a proud dad!
IMG_20221126_082113.jpg
IMG_20221126_094657.jpg
IMG_20221126_115526.jpg
IMG_20221126_115533.jpg

IMG_20221126_112452.jpg

I took out the 1858 Remington for the first time since putting groves in the cylinder pin. Lubed with bore butter and went through 30 rounds using beeswax and olive oil wads. No misfires or cap problems and cylinder was running just as free on the sixth cylinder as the first. Fun to shoot and even was able to "kill" some people on the 50 yard rifle range.

Back