• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got him!
20221004_145653.jpg

Had two Muzzle Loading projects today. Well, one project and the other was more of a “raid”. This evening I cut down a 3/8” TOTW pistol rod. I like these rods but they come too long. I don’t have a pistol that needs over a 9” rod but the TOTW rods come like 12”. I cut them off, drill out the ball, and glue the rod back in with JB Weld. I had a 7/16” rod done up this way but found it too tight in .45 barrels so made up this 3/8” rod.

Earlier today while out minding my business (day job) I ran across a large construction debris pile from a major old home remodeling project. Surveying the debris, I chatted up the owner. Long story short I have permission to come back and bust the lead out of the joints in the considerable amount of cast iron pipe they pulled out of his house. In fact, he was delighted I was going to remove the lead from the “waste steam” and put it to good use. Doing my part for the environment don’t you know, guess I am just “green” that way. If you want to make an omelet you have to break some eggs. If you want some scrap lead sometimes you have to bust some cast iron.
; )

That's a good-looking pouch you made. I like the stitch work, button, and embossing. I need to make one bigger than the small one I have with some separators for things like my short starter, pan primer, etc.
Isn’t that always the way? I hadn’t hardly cinched the last stitch before I was already thinking about what I’ll do differently on the next one! 🤣
Jay

Got my good lady to take some slow motion vids of my flintlock pistol action dry firing so I could study freeze frames to see whats actually happening. It was very enlightening. At the moment we are having technical difficulties getting it from her apple phone onto my puter where I want to save them. I'll post them on the flintlock forum when I've got them.

had meatloaf for lunch. tasted funny and was just about the shape of the chunk she took out of my butt!
she forgave me and ordered this years model pressure cooker. did you know they had models, just like cars do? the pot roast special, the green bean deluxe, the double rack with a sunroof for viewing the stuff you are cooking to death!
i must be getting old! the one i ruin, Ah converted into the garage special, has plugs of pewter that melt if over heated, a regular old port for steam to come out, a big nob with weight settings to control the temperature! i asked where the clutch and brake peddles were and earned a hiss.
I purloined my wife's cast iron curry pan to melt lead in. one of those ones with an enamel lining. Had to replace it. Those things are bloody expensive. :doh:

Carried some 2x4 boards in from the car last night for a 4-H ML stand I saw online. The wife was at her weekly bingo The front door was fastest way to get them down stairs ,the back porch was blocked with my wifes yard "stuff" needing to be put up for winter. Well her cat whom I tolerate BARELY decided to make a run for the door. I swung around to shut the door but the 2x4 gave enough momentum to my twist and cleared my wifes nick knacks off the window table .After several thoughts of running for the hills I stored the wood cursed the Cat who gave that your in deep trouble look and cleaned up what once an oil burner and 3 small figurines . The wife came home in a mood she didn't win saw the stuff missing from the table and growled in a most terrifying voice. My first thought was curling in a ball at her feet begging forgiveness but in a moment of sheer brilliance "The cat saw a squirrel" Well that cat must have understood every word and headed for the bedroom. The wife gave that look a husband understands and fears.. We're going to the dollar store tomorrow for replacements. I despise that cat

I worked on a TC Renegade I bought a while back. It had some surface rust on some of the metal parts. I used wd40 and a copper scrubber to clean a bunch of it. My 8 year old grandson worked on the nooks and crannies of the trigger guard. He enjoys my little gun room in the basement. He did a good job.

Not a historical period project, but muzzleloader-related; today I replaced the decorative leather lacing on my knife sheath. My Buck 110 has been my constant companion for many years. The sheath was really showing it’s age and the leather lacing finally snapped. Not being a period piece, I replaced it with paracord for an attractive color contrast. This knife has turned screws, pried stuck caps, and spread lube and cylinder grease for me for since I was a teenager. It goes on every range trip, every deer hunt, and rides on my hip to work everyday. I had fun giving a facelift to an old friend.
Looks nice!

Well I guess this will qualify, checked the cameras in my deer hunting spot, lots of spikes and small forks running around, but wait at least 4 really nice buck deer making evening apperances, 15 days and me and the morovian .62 will be waiting on one of those boys to walk bye. Starting to get the itch.

I started the morning by putting some corn in the feeder and spreading some protein feed. And swapped out a couple of camera cards. Haven't looked at them yet, but my deer are doing fine and I have a few nice bucks. Then I took my Investarms flint Hawken and spent about 3 hours shooting. Filed the front sight some, tried several different loads and enjoyed using my new loading block. Its shooting good at 50 yards now, not quite happy at a 100 yet, but its more me than the rifle. Getting ready to clean her up.

I started the morning by putting some corn in the feeder and spreading some protein feed. And swapped out a couple of camera cards. Haven't looked at them yet, but my deer are doing fine and I have a few nice bucks. Then I took my Investarms flint Hawken and spent about 3 hours shooting. Filed the front sight some, tried several different loads and enjoyed using my new loading block. Its shooting good at 50 yards now, not quite happy at a 100 yet, but its more me than the rifle. Getting ready to clean her up.
Sounds like a great day to me. I'm heading out tomorrow to swap cards in my cameras. I wish I could shoot for three hours.... Dadgum job. Grumble, mumble,......

Sounds like a great day to me. I'm heading out tomorrow to swap cards in my cameras. I wish I could shoot for three hours.... Dadgum job. Grumble, mumble,......
Being retired has its benefits. Getting older, not so much. But better than the alternatives of death or working!;)

Repairing equipment & making things ready for our camps up coming clean up weekend…!
Plan on tin teepee camping Friday & Saturday night this weekend..
Then our Fall shoot starts on the 20th..👍
I’ll be under canvas by the 18th!👍
Hatchie Run Longrifles in Ashland Ms..
Y’all Come!

Back