• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot this pretty nice pistol target in a match with my Trapper. 25 yards offhand, 4 of the 6 shots were in a nice group. I won't embarrass myself by posting my rifle targets Ha! It was a nice (and much needed) day of shooting.
IMG_20221002_114431.jpg

Three days of constant moderately heavy rain. And promise of another tomorrow, Think I will make a stew. Maybe cacciatore. Chicken. Tomatoes. Thyme. Mushrooms. Red wine. Bay leaves. Salt. Pepper. I like to brown the chicken skin on for the fat, and then toss the skin because it gets flabby in the stew. Learned to cut the mushrooms before cleaning them. A wet mushroom is a slippery devil to cut on. Used to let that simmer on the stove top in the dutch oven. Found it easier to let it simmer in the dutch oven in the range oven. Mine makes a nice simmer at 250 or so. A dash of balsamic vinegar when you serve is a bright touch. And my the house will smell good!

Is it muzzle loading? Well I'm going to load my muzzle!

Last edited:
Not today, but the weekends activities. Saturday I attended work day at the club. I cleaned the lanes on the Woods Walk and myself and another guy adjusted and moved a few targets back. That required quite a bit of chopping and clearing but it needed to be done. The guys did a good job of setting up the Walk originally but it needed some maintenance and improvement. We ended up moving 3-4 targets back and added a much longer shot on a Bear plate. That makes 13 targets but I am going to try and add one more before “Squirrel Camp” in November. We have a few plates/bottles/etc. and one more stand.

Yesterday (Sunday) I cast 30 pounds of roof boots into .490 balls, .620 balls, .32 Minnie’s, .50 R.E.A.L.s, and 12 1/2 pound (mini-muffin) ingots to clean the pot. This was a larger casing session than usual for me by at least double but once I got rolling and had the lead I just rolled on. Two of the molds were six cavity Lee’s and you can really pile up some balls quick. And of course the .62s take a lot of lead each. I had picked up nine molds since my last casting session last Spring so really needed to spend some time over the pot.

today i hunted for grouse. that's it. just hunted.
got back from grouse and decided to go look for some turkeys that came by yesterday and spent the night in a tree on the driveway.
got back from looking for turkeys and took a nap in my recliner. woke up to "Puck, puck, puck" coming from my front porch. leaned back ant saw 4-6 jakes on the porch. one stood in front of the door and pecked at his reflection. told them to come back when they grow up.
made a new rammer for my fowler. turned a horn bugle end and have it glued and drying.

Stuck home with the ‘Rona, needed to keep my hands busy between naps. Just finished a shot pouch based on the 1750s Lemuel Lyman pouch. This is just one compartment inside- probably make one that’s divided for smoothbore hunting and use this’n for my rifle.
Jay
View attachment 166183
That's a good-looking pouch you made. I like the stitch work, button, and embossing. I need to make one bigger than the small one I have with some separators for things like my short starter, pan primer, etc.

today i hunted for grouse. that's it. just hunted.
got back from grouse and decided to go look for some turkeys that came by yesterday and spent the night in a tree on the driveway.
got back from looking for turkeys and took a nap in my recliner. woke up to "Puck, puck, puck" coming from my front porch. leaned back ant saw 4-6 jakes on the porch. one stood in front of the door and pecked at his reflection. told them to come back when they grow up.
made a new rammer for my fowler. turned a horn bugle end and have it glued and drying.
A bad day in the field is better than a good day at work. It would be an awful world if grouse were boring.
Isn't it amazing how smart turkeys get overnight the eve of opening day?

Ordered a $5 cleanout screw for my wife's Renegade off eBay. Shipping fee? $7!

I don't know what happened to the original but after shooting Sunday I went to clean it and realized it was gone. Guess it was loose and it shot out, I've never messed with it.

I ran into the same thing when I needed a sear spring for a TC, Cain's had them for $5 so I put one in my cart. When I got to the check-out, they wanted $13 to ship it, this spring is about 1/2" long and as big around as a ball point pen spring. I bought one off eBay for $7 shipped which is still outrageous but when you need one you need one.

I needed this spring because I got a very old TC Hawken kit from my dad that had been in his basement untouched for 30 years. There was a little surface rust on the barrel, kits from this era had barrels in the white and not blued, everything else looked pristine. I noticed the lock wouldn't work, I took it apart and found the sear spring and the cavity it sat in was fused solid rust. There was no way to get the spring out. I have a great friend who is a gunsmith with all the best in milling machines, he put the lock on his milling machine and recut the sear spring hole taking out the rust fused spring in the process.

Last edited:
I ran into the same thing when I needed a sear spring for a TC, Cain's had them for $5 so I put one in my cart. When I got to the check-out, they wanted $13 to ship it, this spring is about 1/2" long and as big around as a ball point pen spring. I bought one off eBay for $7 shipped which is still outrageous but when you need one you need one.

I needed this spring because I got a very old TC Hawken kit from my dad that had been in his basement untouched for 30 years. There was a little surface rust on the barrel, kits from this era had barrels in the white and not blued, everything else looked pristine. I noticed the lock wouldn't work, I took it apart and found the sear spring and the cavity it sat in was fused solid rust. There was no way to get the spring out. I have a great friend who is a gunsmith with all the best in milling machines, he put the lock on his milling machine and recut the sear spring hole taking out the rust fused spring in the process.
I know we must watch shipping and other expenses attached to online purchases. However, these extended costs are ridiculous.

I was at a shoot over the weekend, my buddy took slowmo video of me, here is a photo of the ball in flight, pretty cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-084629_Gallery(1).jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-084629_Gallery(1).jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 0
Back