• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gathered my gear together for a day trip for grouse, and to exercise the dog a bit. Girlfriend is using an old single breach loader but I am taking the 20g barrel built a few years back for my plains rifle (old Renegade I completely rebuilt and restocked). Trying 70g of 2f Goex with equal volume of #7.5 and using raw wool as both overpowder and overshot.
Gonna be a good day!
Walk

Replace the sites on my GPR. Worked on sighting it in. Helped my 11 year old make a antler powder mesure!

Attachments

• B6BC4428-2F5D-4DA0-B6D4-47435F886967.jpeg
    B6BC4428-2F5D-4DA0-B6D4-47435F886967.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
finished cooking a batch of charcoal. used a pressure i was sure the bride had given me to use in the garage. quite a bit of creosote.
wife asked oh so sweetly just how the H i was going to clean her canning cooker.
worked on the barrel channel of current build # 2. fowler build is on hold whilst i cogitate just what i want to do with it, carve or wire inlay.
fired one load in the new to me English fowler i got in the mail yesterday. 65g fff and 1.25oz #7.5. 35 yards. seems promising, but i forgot i had patterned a different gun on the board. (senility sucks). all i could tell is there was a boat load of holes in that board!:doh:

Just finished editing the 1st of 3 videos regarding last weekend's shooting event.
Mrs. BPMS & I spent last weekend at the 3rd annual Pioneer Flats FREE Shootout hosted by Abe's General Store near Franklin PA. This event is set up to help the brand new shooter get started in the hobby. Several new shooters joined us last weekend for a cool 17 target woods walk. We have made some fantastic new friends during the 3 trips we've made it to Pennsylvania. We are looking forward to attending the 4th annual Shootout in 2023. Enjoy the 1st of 3 videos of last weekend:

Got two Lee round ball molds in the mailbox along with two pocket knives I ordered for a Christmas present for one of my grandsons. The Lee molds are for my 44 caliber cap and ball and the other is for my 45 cal KY rifle. I will engrave the pocket knives with his name and keep one put up in my collection and give him the other one.

Shot my Frontier .50 cal flintlock, what a gorgeous day. 55F and no wind. Autumn is here. .480 ball with .015 patch. 50 gn GOEX 2fg. I changed patches from .010 to .015 with this size ball. Huge difference in accuracy! I was quite surprised at how much better it shot. I struggled to get on paper at 100 yds with the .010 patch. Also made a little tool for putting an edge on my flint while still in the lock, works great. Getting a lot more mileage in the field with a flint. :)

Shoot safe, RR

PhotoFunia-1664736362.jpg PhotoFunia-1664736463.jpg
PhotoFunia-1664736193.jpg PhotoFunia-1664736040.jpg

Fitted the butt plate I scratch made to the NW Trade Gun I’m putting together. Trying to stay with the original inexpensive trade gun concept and just eye balled the holes before drilling and nailing it on. Very pleased with the results. Inspired by a NWTG plate dug from an archeological site in Morris county, Kansas.8104B2C6-3EB9-45F4-9A8E-6CF647E42CFC.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm reading The Hunters of Kentucky right now. I met Ted Belue at the CLA chow last year. Interesting guy!

Before I joined the Army, I attended Murray State University as a history major. The first day of my freshman year, I spied a man in full native dress with appropriate accouterments and face paint in the hallway. That was (then associate professor) Ted Belue. I got to spend an entire semester learning early American history from him, and he would do things like that frequently. I then got to spend a semester learning the history of industrial revolution era American history with Dr. J. Duane Bolin. By far the most important and enjoyable classes I’ve ever taken.

finished cooking a batch of charcoal. used a pressure i was sure the bride had given me to use in the garage. quite a bit of creosote.
wife asked oh so sweetly just how the H i was going to clean her canning cooker.
worked on the barrel channel of current build # 2. fowler build is on hold whilst i cogitate just what i want to do with it, carve or wire inlay.
fired one load in the new to me English fowler i got in the mail yesterday. 65g fff and 1.25oz #7.5. 35 yards. seems promising, but i forgot i had patterned a different gun on the board. (senility sucks). all i could tell is there was a boat load of holes in that board!:doh:
DS you have a woman with the patience of Job ..If I did that to my wife's canning cooker my butt would look like that board you double shot ..best scour it clean old son!

Bear

today i took my English fowler out and started working on loads. being i have never been much of a shotgunner i only had some 7.5 shot left over from those glorious days of yesteryear when i dove hunted.
the fowler is a 11g and i started with a "square load or 70g of fffg, a cardboard card over powder, volume of 70g 7.5 shot, topped with 2 1/4 felt wads soaked in bear oil. neighbor came over after i shot for a while. said he thought i was barbequing something!
had a big donut in the pattern on the 24x24 board. centered on the point of aim. range was 25 yards.
next i tried the same square load, but left out the over powder card. ploink! didn't even touch the board.
next i used the same square load but added back the card and used one oiled wad over the shot. 160 pellets in a 24 inch circle and the biggest void was the size of a squirrels head!
fired same load another 8 times it was so much fun! all with the same pattern. love it when it is that easy. now to find a grouse!
i have some Bismuth BBB coming. i can hear the fear in the ducks.
if it shoots the Bismuth as well as the #7.5, we will have duck with plum sauce for thanks giving.
before shooting i tried pouring some shot. watched a youtube vid. easy peasy !
results look like a tiny model of the star trek ship enterprise! complete with the observation windows and a klingon or two.
dismal failure. tomorrow if the sgt at arms hasn't got my day planned out i will play with it some more.
i have never had a 10 or 12 gauge that i could shoot 15-20 times in a row and not cry .
i absolutely love this 11g percussion.
20221002_135503.jpg

DS you have a woman with the patience of Job ..If I did that to my wife's canning cooker my butt would look like that board you double shot ..best scour it clean old son!

Bear
had meatloaf for lunch. tasted funny and was just about the shape of the chunk she took out of my butt!
she forgave me and ordered this years model pressure cooker. did you know they had models, just like cars do? the pot roast special, the green bean deluxe, the double rack with a sunroof for viewing the stuff you are cooking to death!
i must be getting old! the one i ruin, Ah converted into the garage special, has plugs of pewter that melt if over heated, a regular old port for steam to come out, a big nob with weight settings to control the temperature! i asked where the clutch and brake peddles were and earned a hiss.

Latest posts

Back