• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only managed to get a small bit done. Working on my Traditions .50 cal Kentucky Rifle kit, I discovered more wood that needed to be removed above the Trigger guard. Using a wood file and some 80 grit sand paper I removed about .070 wood and smoothed off the rough stuff. Just a few more minor adjustments and I'll be ready to start the final Sand and move on to Staining.

Spent the day Saturday with muzzleloader maniac and Darius at pioneer flats. Sunday was the clubs monthly shoot, in the rain...

started sanding on my fowler. premature. sanding showed up the curves i had in the forearm on one side. looked like a slimmed down Jane Russel! or maybe just Briget Bardot.
anyway i still have too much to do to use it for waterfowl this year. and next year is iffy. think i will just go ahead and buy one done.

Tried my hand at making a ball bag out of scraped leather I had on hand. I cross-stitched the seams and wetted the leather, then stuffed it full of rice and now I'm waiting until it dries to see how bad I screwed it up. Wish me luck. Holds about 67 50 cal round balls. Tomorrow I'll make a plug for it and dye the leather a dark brown maybe.

Attachments

• ball bag 1.jpg
    ball bag 1.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ball bag 2.jpg
    ball bag 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • ball bag 3.jpg
    ball bag 3.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ball bag 50 cal.jpg
    ball bag 50 cal.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I took my boss down to my land to put down some feed plots. He wants to learn how to deer hunt. Later we sighted in a gun for him then I introduced him to muzzleloaders! I started him with a Sharon Trade Rifle .50. He loved it. Then I had him shoot my Fowler, big smile on his face. He said he wants to hunt with the .50. I invited him to come to a shoot at Friendship as well. I think he's hooked!

I also got some shooting in with the Fowler .62. I tried some really thin patches with RB. It was shooting low so I went up 10 grains of powder fixed it!

I cleaned out the fuel line on my Coleman stove, and cast a baker's dozen .610" ball for my fusil de chasse. Tomorrow it's out to the range.

So the new to me GPR came in today! It was a slow day on the job so I came home early and went shooting!! It seemed to like 60-70 grains of powder! But it was shredding patches! :-( The target show my groups at 25 yards off a rest. Groups opened up to about 5” diameter at 50 yards… hoping a little bore polishing will help with the patch situation..
So the factory sights aren’t as bad as I had feared. I will probably replace them thought since the rear sight has about a 1/16 wobble left to right! Unless some of you know a easy fix for this?
My brother in law shot his New Englander as well. He did good! He did double ball it thought! But only the depth of the short start! So he learned how to use a ball puller!!

Attachments

• 369C7D77-BE09-4EE3-8D90-3F30F5B3AAAC.jpeg
    369C7D77-BE09-4EE3-8D90-3F30F5B3AAAC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
So the new to me GPR came in today! It was a slow day on the job so I came home early and went shooting!! It seemed to like 60-70 grains of powder! But it was shredding patches! :-( The target show my groups at 25 yards off a rest. Groups opened up to about 5” diameter at 50 yards… hoping a little bore polishing will help with the patch situation..
So the factory sights aren’t as bad as I had feared. I will probably replace them thought since the rear sight has about a 1/16 wobble left to right! Unless some of you know a easy fix for this?
My brother in law shot his New Englander as well. He did good! He did double ball it thought! But only the depth of the short start! So he learned how to use a ball puller!!
Nice!

Shot the new Crocket rifle today. Fun times at minute of squirrel.

Attachments

• Crocket rifle range day 1.jpg
    Crocket rifle range day 1.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Crocket rifle range day 4.jpg
    Crocket rifle range day 4.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
Everything in my corner of the world is now focused on prep for deer season. Gave three of my rifles a once over, started sorting out the camo gear, and bought a new blaze orange vest. Also ordered some more .54 conicals and some .45 round balls since I don’t have molds for those yet.

cut the little piece out of the big piece. there is a stock there somewhere.
have the barrel channel laid out and will start it while studying my current build to see what needs to be done, or not done . to the point on my fowler i need to go s ------------------------- l ------------------------- o ------------------------ w!

Attachments

• 20220930_133305.jpg
    20220930_133305.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Earlier today, once it had cooled, I skimmed and de-fatted some chicken stock I steeped all night in the Crock Pot. What does that have to do with muzzle loading you say? Well, tomorrow is work day at the club and I am providing lunch. A big pot of chicken, sausage, and rice. I’m hungry just thinking about it.

Just now I came in from flattening, folding, and generally mashing a pile of roof boots. It is cooling off enough now to make evening casting sessions tolerable again. I have managed to accumulate A BUNCH (nine I think) of new-to-me and brand new molds in the last few months and I need to get busy making smaller, uniform pieces of lead out of larger, non-uniform pieces of lead.

Not a historical period project, but muzzleloader-related; today I replaced the decorative leather lacing on my knife sheath. My Buck 110 has been my constant companion for many years. The sheath was really showing it’s age and the leather lacing finally snapped. Not being a period piece, I replaced it with paracord for an attractive color contrast. This knife has turned screws, pried stuck caps, and spread lube and cylinder grease for me for since I was a teenager. It goes on every range trip, every deer hunt, and rides on my hip to work everyday. I had fun giving a facelift to an old friend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back