• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do both sides need redone or just the deepest side and thanks for the feedback?
I just file a clean edge all the way around like this:

1661743142003.jpeg

I see now. Not much of a ledge at all. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me.
Use the ledge you already have, just turn it a little to use a smaller or larger portion of it. I used to do it like garypl and do it all the way around (and still have some that way in different bags) but using one side works better IMHO

I also use the back of my knife sometimes, problem is I usually miss and hit where I did not intend to.

Last edited:
To-day we met at the gate for 12.30pm.The Game farmer arrived at 2.00pm due to Bank holiday traffic with the 600 poults he had managed to save from AVION FLU for us.. We always have Late birds as most of us fish to the end of the season and have a rest before the Pheasants in December to 1st FEB.

Mine is a 12ga also. It was fun but challenging to build but I have no experience building a gun. Just take your time, keep your chisels sharp, and make sure to round off your pins. Really fun to shoot also. Can't say enough about the quality of the parts. Chambers are good people.
Thanks, for the info. Wow looks fantastic! I was thinking about building myself but I never built a muzzleloader and nervous about "messing it up" I don't even have the proper tools. My thoughts are to have it built by an expierenced builder. Would like to read more about your experience in the build. Thank you...Al

I bought what I belive a 1850s backlock halftone Ohio rifle. I stripped it down, replaced worn screws cleaned it up and ordered rear sights. it has a makers signature J.D. Winchell if any knows anything about him I would appreciate any info. according to a card he was road commissioner in Hillsdale County MI. 1863, 1866, 1868 thanks, Bruce

Finally finished fitting three barrel wedge's with excutions. Using smaller than normal key's.

View attachment 158511

Also, began hafting an axe.
It looks like you did a good job on your tennons, I want to do that on my new English fowler when it get here. No surround just the key so I have to make sure I don't screw it up! Wish me luck!

Many years ago I studied in the shop of Ron Ehlert. He showed me a pretty foolproof way to get wedges installed. After doing a very CAREFUL layout on the outside of the forearm of where the underlugs were in the barrel channel he used a 1/16" bit to drill through the stock and lug a couple of times. He removed the barrel. Using a piece of 12" steel flat stock, one end of which was ground and filed about 4" to the exact size of the wedge, he heated up the steel piece cherry red and burned his way through the forearm area from both sides of the stock. Then he cleaned up the stock slot with a small file. Made it a perfect fit. There was some scorching of the wood but he did all this prior to any shaping of the forarm.

He then parked the barrel in his drill and used an end mill to open up the lug for the wedge.

Completed the first whiskering of my GPR stock. I wet it down right after this pic and I may have been wrong about this stock. Wetting showed a really nice brownish red color. I’m going to attempt to add black to the pores/grain to make it show better on the finished piece.

Attachments

• FFE22C9E-12AE-4E1F-BCCE-2D62B156326B.jpeg
    FFE22C9E-12AE-4E1F-BCCE-2D62B156326B.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back