• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my first 25 percussion caps today with the prime all mix, and made 5 with German caps. Will try them out tomorrow to see if they work? Went back to casting rounds again today, got another good run of .454 and .380. Guess I am caught up with round balls now.

FINALLY run across the lead grease traps I’d stashed away in the bowels of my garage thirty five years ago. I was gifted three of these(brand new, never installed) back in ’74. Taught myself how to run lead in my sophomore science class, the teacher gave me a grade for it because he thought it was cool and kinda…….science-y. Put a lot of lead through my ASM Walker revolver back
B063F87B-708B-4BBD-A522-AA35F5ABD437.jpeg
then.

FINALLY run across the lead grease traps I’d stashed away in the bowels of my garage thirty five years ago. I was gifted three of these(brand new, never installed) back in ’74. Taught myself how to run lead in my sophomore science class, the teacher gave me a grade for it because he thought it was cool and kinda…….science-y. Put a lot of lead through my ASM Walker revolver backView attachment 158740 then.
Back when I first started teaching, I’d setup my melting pot in my science room, in the chemical hood and my student aids would cast round balls for me…they thought it was awesome, I appreciated their efforts. Fun times, fun times…

Last edited:
I've started making paper cartridges for my Navy Arms 12ga double and can happily report that with the start of squirrel season here this morning, they work quite well on the local tree rats hoping to snack out on the nuts in my pecan trees around the house. 2 shots, 2 squirrels. And using the cartridge paper as wad cushioning and as a paper shot cup along with my usual home made over powder and over shot wads, nothing was wasted. I'm still working on the process of making them and loading them into the gun, but that'll sort itself out as I go along with it. The load used is 1 3/8oz of #5 shot with an equal volume of powder (Pyrodes RS for now until I can get some real FFg).

shotty shells.jpg

The powder end is up top, the shot in the bottom. L to R, the first three were made using dried out used lens wipes. The next three were made using small paper bags. The one on the right is where I figured to beat the Chinese on making a copy of the design using some Chinese newspaper that was laying around in the shop. At the bottom is all I found of one after it took out a pecan thievin' tree rat. I used the powder end to cushion the shot and the bottom end makes a nice shot cup. At the bottom is on the left what's left of the cushion and the what's left of the bottom of the shot cup. You can see where the shot was at in it. That was formerly a sales paper that came in the mail. Overall, I'm liking the lens wipe papers best so far.

I was at this antique mall and came across a smoothbore pistol! I found thier method of repairing the wood interesting ! On the belly of the pistol you can see where they pounded some nails from up top down to help hold the cracking wood together!

What did that set you back? I would absolutely bet that gun has some stories to tell!

Broke down my GPR and started the stock refinish I’ve been threatening to do since last summer. Didn’t think I’d ever get all of the original finish off.

@Birddog1911, I was using citrustrip. It took me four heavy applications to get it all off. It’s not a stunning piece of walnut. Just your typical dark wood with some grain showing, but nothing spectacular. Haven’t decided what my next step is. Might clean up some of the metal to wood fit or I might not. Final finish for the wood is still up in the air. We’ll see what happens when the mood strikes to attack it again.

Shot my 1861 Springfield Armisport repro today, and it was a fun gun! I also shot my Numrich arms underhammer, and it's so fun to shoot.

@Birddog1911, I was using citrustrip. It took me four heavy applications to get it all off. It’s not a stunning piece of walnut. Just your typical dark wood with some grain showing, but nothing spectacular. Haven’t decided what my next step is. Might clean up some of the metal to wood fit or I might not. Final finish for the wood is still up in the air. We’ll see what happens when the mood strikes to attack it again.

Wow, that must have been some serious finish!

FWIW, after stripping mine, I used some Birchwood Casey walnut stain, 2 coats of BLO, and waxed it. Came out looking nice, almost an old military finish, which is what I was going for.

Hi, I just received my New England Fowler from Jim Chambers, of course it needs to be built and this is my first from JC. How do you like it? Mine is 12ga
Mine is a 12ga also. It was fun but challenging to build but I have no experience building a gun. Just take your time, keep your chisels sharp, and make sure to round off your pins. Really fun to shoot also. Can't say enough about the quality of the parts. Chambers are good people.

Latest posts

Back