• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast some balls this afternoon. 100, .530, 54, .390 and 52 .490. I know it’s the low rent district on how I do it but I have been doing it this way since I was a kid.

Attachments

• F679530D-2361-43CB-A19D-B8A9BED5AA75.jpeg
    F679530D-2361-43CB-A19D-B8A9BED5AA75.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0B156F1C-A045-4214-95E7-029B2C5E7D5E.jpeg
    0B156F1C-A045-4214-95E7-029B2C5E7D5E.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
Went to the range, 1858 Remington, 25 gr. Triple 7 - FFFG, .454 Round ball. This was at 25 feet. 12 shots, the extras were an unmentionable rim fire. I ran out of paint to freshen the target. The silhouette is about life size so all in all, not a bad day. Weather was hot and dry. I got the heck out of there about 2:30 PM, the temp was at 96º according to my pickup's outside temp gauge.

I like to set up clay pigeons on the berm behind and shoot at them with the Hawken. Didn't bring it this time.

Have a Happy Independence Day everyone.

220701-001   2 x 1_333  1858 Remington  25gr Triple 7  FFFG    .454 Round ball.jpg

Tried a little trap shooting at Friendship yesterday. Using that 20 gauge smoothbore made it tough ( for me ) to hit flying targets. Someday....I'm going to pick up a double barreled percussion shotgun so I can keep up with those boys I was shooting with. They had some VERY cool side by side scatter guns. We enjoyed a FULL day of shooting. Retirement is wonderful !

290493935_358795726402611_8968859289125034383_n.jpg

Fitted Enfield main and scear springs to my Ardesa smoothbore, I needed to shave off a small amount of wood and shorten the ramrod spring pin to accomodate the slightly longer mainspring but now the action is stronger, the trigger pull lighter and with polishing the lockplate the whole action feels smoother and more balanced. Best of all Enfield springs are easy to get hold of and cost a whole lot less than having custom springs made. Out for a test Monday so I'm expecting to be able to up the charge a bit and not have any hammer bounce.

Received another order from Kranks so I now have two spares along with the new nipple on the gun and a powder measure and I'm kicking myself for not getting one from the start, it makes understanding loads so much easier. I'm getting the accessories and spares I think I will need sooner rather than later because a lot of things seem to be going out of stock and the choice of guns, all of which are imported seems to be becoming more limited here in the UK.

Lastly I've been reading up on the Explosives Licence as without one I'm limited to Pyrodex and I can see a flintlock on the horizon.

My thoughts with you Oldwood. My wife coming to the end of a course of chemo which makes her really ill. I will have the ML out Monday but she will be in the camper too, may be knitting or perhaps just watching the birds on the lake depending on how welĺ she is, a break for me and a change of scenery for her. Tired of sickness here too.

Picked up a new with box never fired Pedesoli Brown Bess for an excellent price, brought her home had to try her out out back. 90 grains 2F, .735 ball with lubed patch and a dash of 4F in the pan. Man Im hooked on Flintlocks!! Shot only once to just try it. Soon off to the range.

Attachments

• Brown Bess Shoot .JPG
    Brown Bess Shoot .JPG
    618.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bown Bess SloMo.mp4
    10 MB
My thoughts with you Oldwood. My wife coming to the end of a course of chemo which makes her really ill. I will have the ML out Monday but she will be in the camper too, may be knitting or perhaps just watching the birds on the lake depending on how welĺ she is, a break for me and a change of scenery for her. Tired of sickness here too.
Hello BritJoe. That’s nasty your poor wife , I am at Marsden every 14 days immunology ex kidney cancer spread. But doing immunology it’s no big deal and it’s shrinking and killing tumours. No pain sickness ok. I am fine. I am 35 again Drugs have improved in recent years. Me oh in Esher Plod took my shotguns away said at 79 I might shoot intruders Plod just wants to show the public they are doing something me totally innocent , seems it’s going on everywhere. so I won’t get a BP licence either. You got to get a box from Kranks to store the stuff just a form filling exercise to get BP I wish you well ML secretary Andy Courtney was my brother not seen him in years gone our separate ways no big deal Got an old Rapido but still trying to sort out a permit to carry , for France, it’s complicated but better gunny laws than UK

I wish you well

Attachments

• B184EC8F-0274-4926-AEAD-AFD6AA9F0401.jpeg
    B184EC8F-0274-4926-AEAD-AFD6AA9F0401.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice tool. What about it’s history and use

Must get some more flint from English chalk cliffs south coast Just mending a friends sail, this ain’t women’s work
It’s a J.H. Williams & Co. multi tool of some sort. I don’t know much about it except it’s handy for a lot of things including making flints.

Back