• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya buddy,Nothing like it. After spending some time with it- It’s Not difficult to hit accurate. Just gotta focus on front sight through the process.
righto!
and then along comes a rifle that shoots so well from the first flash of the primer that a less knowledgeable person would think I was a capable shot!
I shot the .45 TMR again today just to see if the shooting at 150 yards the other day was a fluke. once again it shot so good i kinda expected something to break. things were going too well.
next time any of you guys see me I will be doing my Charlton Heston impression. and shouting "from my cold dead hands!" this one is a keeper.
after the TMR, i got out my Ardesa .54 to see what my new lube mixture would do. shot 24 consecutive shots, no swabbing, just a felt patch under my lubed Maxie's. if i could only remember what all i put in the lube!
anyway, the Ardesa .54 shot about 1.75 inch at 65 yards. paper plates from lunch were donuts when i finished.
also introduced a guy to BP muzzleloaders. he is a shooter of them other things, with his normal range starting at 1000 yards.
loaned him a t post driver and he came by to return it.
saw him eyeballing the Ardesa and asked if he had ever shot a muzzleloader. Nope. he left with the normal grin of a newbie that is hooked.
now to get him to commission a rifle!

Made another 20 No. 11 Percussion Caps to make up for the 20 that I shot up Sunday. Bought a kit from 22lrreloader and have now been burning powder without reservation that I may not see any caps for a long long time......

Was that a easy process? Was thinking of buying that item also… got a stockpile of caps, and flintlocks- yet always good to have more for future

Yes, surprisingly easy. After watching some youtube videos I made a couple little tools that help. A small pistol primer casing glued to a q-tip for a dipper and placing the empty caps in a primer box to hold them in place is very helpful. A dropper from Hobby Lobby for the acetone is handy. I also sanded the inside of the pop can to etch the coating/aluminum to help hold the priming compound in place. Other than that, just followed the directions. A little tedious, but way better than not shooting.
C1zq1py.jpg

yesterday i started shooting the rifles i am thinking of selling. today i continued. nasty job but someone must do it! going to be a terrible time parting with those i have shot so far! both shoot so well. guess it is going to take much more testing.
added: after shooting the TC flinter with the green mountain barrel, i was cleaning it . dropped the barrel wedge/key and had to get on my hands and knees to find it under a cabinet/piles of junk!
me and hands and knees aren't on friendly terms so when i found it i slotted it and pinned it as a captured wedge. no more dropping it. the things that make a old guy happy.
20220629_121658.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a new pistol my gun builder buddy did for me. 16 gauge smooth bore to match a earlier fowler he made. Small Siler lock, barrel is 13”.
3F9B1DEE-9F2F-45DC-9DD9-A684A03D66E9.jpeg

0B8004E8-2FF8-47AB-99A8-73CABBBB6D09.jpeg

7167C3E6-F503-4ABD-A244-79D7374CB0C2.jpeg

7665572E-0D60-4720-9E17-ACDEEFDAC97E.jpeg

As soon as I got it home, I had to shoot it, of course. 25 grains fffg, .648 PRB, .010 linen patch at 20 yards from a rest produced this (first 3 shots):
2EAC5932-5AAB-4C7A-856F-7C18D4CED95B.jpeg

I think it is a keeper.

Dusty, very nice!
If you have a 1/16 touch hole drilled just use it. can always go back and install a liner. matches work kinda in a pinch if you are jonesing to shoot it
just dawned on me you converted and its drilled for a drum!:doh:
😁 Yep this is a conversion. I was surprised that the nipple and drum threads were SAE, being a Japanese built rifle. I was also very pleasantly surprised at how easy the drum came out.

😁 Yep this is a conversion. I was surprised that the nipple and drum threads were SAE, being a Japanese built rifle. I was also very pleasantly surprised at how easy the drum came out.
they have been known to come out too easy! there are some won't have or shoot around a drum fitted rifle. guess they probably don't like standing on the vent side of a flint lock either! 🤣
now you have me thinking about converting my CVA mountain.

today i shot the June members contest. dismal. cleaned, draw filed, and started browning a Green Mountain barrel from my Tc Hawken flinter.
finished browning the lock for my new flint pistol that i am beginning to think i'll never finish.
Knapped a half dozen flints for my TMR. have a couple dozen stashed some where but can't remember where or find them. Probably in my sock drawer!
started to make a couple end pieces out of aluminum for a ram rod, but one slipped in the press vice and drilled cockeyed. got to get a better vice.
studied more pictures of Fowlers to get ideas for my next build. think i will stick with the master and copy one of Dave Persons.:horseback:

Latest posts

Back