• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ringing steel for Father’s Day. 50 yds frontier flintlock. AD7F71C2-5957-4AAA-86E3-CA6A2E547AF2.jpeg0BCC93D4-E2C9-41BC-A80C-A9540022B43C.jpeg

disassembled a siler and draw filed the plate front and back to remove some pitting. got it polished to crocus paper. hands aren't speaking to me. tough work for arthur and itis.
trying to get the rhythm going so i can complete this pistol build.
loaded my muzzle with way too much food at birthday/fathers day lunch. watching my figure you know.
watching it grow!
Happy fathers day to all the fathers out there!
Oh yeah! got my patch knife from two feathers in the mail! beautiful knife and so sharp the wife wanted to use it on me! my beard that is.

Last edited:
Got it! I had to file off the metal to meet the wood but have a perfect fit. I have a little more stain matching to do plus I have to re-brown the patchbox. I am using some walnut husk stain I made 20 years ago, dab a little on, hit it with a heat gun to dry it instantly, daub a little more until the stain on the bare wood matches the rest of the gun. I learned a ton doing this patchbox, kinda' fun once I figured out the puzzle to get it be rounded like the stock. The broken lid hinge pin won't punch out so I will have to drill it out and put another one in. There are at least 6 wood patches in place to cover up the Dremel tool mess my nephew made. I hid them well, they will be even more inconspicuous when I get the finish on.
wes patch box done inletting.JPG

I started with this, My nephew's Dremel tool nightmare.

gpr patchbox.JPG

Last edited:
Paper patching a Parker Hale 58560 bullet in the vain hope my Parker Hale (Euroarms) 2 band enfield will shoot a group not a pattern. The trash can minie has sorta worked, but its inconsistent. The test run went well with easy loading (.573 bullet patched to .580, barrel has .581 bore 1-66 twist) and three shots actually formed about a 4" group at 50 yards. Maybe I can try again next weekend, still have a few bullets left before I have to get the bullet casting stuff out.

While working on my cedar tent poles today is stumbled across my Dutch oven….& some charcoal..
Then I remembered I had a head of cabbage, onion , taters & Cajun sausage seasoned with a generous share of Old Bay seasoning & butter…

C813BA40-F76F-485F-B91C-0465496C8604.jpeg

56BBCC4C-3485-44CD-BB58-4BC051760120.jpeg

A fat boys gotta eat….👍

finally got a reprieve from settling sister in laws estate.
got back on latest pistol build. finished draw filing the lock plate, polished it and first application of browning is working.
drew in the lock border and out lined it with a Viener. then shaved down the surrounding wood with a chisel. want to finish this pistol, as i have the fixin's for a fowler coming fedex tomorrow. feel like a expectant father waiting for it! ran out of steam.
arthritis is bad in my right hand today

Hi John
Sorry --- this is the only way that I could get your contact -- - somehow lost files on the PC.

Were you aware that Sit Pet had been taken over? (For an NRA-related activity).
What would have happenned to the "interior" ?

Give me a personal e-mail reply please .... j i m @ j i m h....... (dot) me (dot (uk)

Give us a full report, have looked at them several times and am interested in details. Thanks

Unfortunately no photos of the day at the range… Yet it did happen. Rare now adays- just busy.

I’m happy to report the Pedersoli Early American Flintlock .54 with its 27”3/4” barrel shot very accurate. I was pleasantly suprised at not developing a Charge / projectile combo over time.
I Simply loaded 75gr of Swiss 2F and a 380 gr R.E.A.L Bullet (1/24” ROT) with a lite coating of Crisco. And that’s all I shot. No adjustment of the basic sites… and started hitting bullseyes at 25-50yards. At 75yards I was maybe 2” low just under the bull- Group was consistently a baseball size out at 75yards- No Bs internet group size.

The flint and lock gave no issues first 12 shots- then a little finicky, Otherwise smooth sailing. Trigger is nice! The Browned Lock/all metal is actually nice for a meat and potatoes hunters Rifle. It may be Jaeger esk in design and has a non swamped straight barrel many look down at- yet overall it’s a Great rifle for what it’s designed for… A easy carry… hard hitting Flinter for Hunting!

Attachments

• 10EFE6DB-35AE-48A9-987E-B925EB49D0B4.png
    10EFE6DB-35AE-48A9-987E-B925EB49D0B4.png
    998 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I went to the Fort Loudoun Market Fair today and got to listen to an excellent presentation by Mike Beliveau on traditional loading methods for smoothbores. Also picked up some new toys while I was there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
worked on my pistol a bit.
finally couldn't take it any longer and got out my .45 flinter i built a while ago.
decided to see what it would do at longer range than my normal 65 yard gong.
have a 6x10 steel hanging from the butt of a log at 150 yards. put up a sheet of roofing for a tell tale to sight it in. one shot on the sheet 16" low.
gave it half of the front sight over and held in the right half of the plate. think i like this rifle.
20220624_175355.jpg
20220624_180958.jpg

Latest posts

Back