• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on my gun. Mostly worked on sanding and shaping the stock. My dad helped me start thinning out the lock panels and such.
18CDD78B-D7FA-4D71-9A54-5B2CF5D2E3FC.jpeg
A60A28C0-9F3F-4D22-AACD-55826857FA7B.jpeg
98590E90-3E78-467C-A182-247FB7E787BC.jpeg

Finished finger weaving a hemp sash…,approximately 2.5 inches x 10’…🥴

View attachment 140188

View attachment 140189
That makes a change from guns, But is it historical or your own design , and what will it be used for, very nice anyway My mother was a handicraft teacher , so we grew up making similar things. Lovely colours too

GMan,
It’s a sash too be wore around a BIG GUYS waist… lol

I’m 6’2 255 lbs and it goes around me twice then it’s tied in a double knot and it’s
Still too long for me..
But, I know some Guys who need the extra couple of feet in length..
8’ usually works for me..👍

Historical, I’m sure hemp was around back then and several photos of Longhunters wearing sashes instead of leather belts.
So I would call it HC…. Historically Capable.🤣

I cast some .31 ammo in a dual mold that throws a conical and a ball.
Only dual cavity mold I ever encountered where I got more good conicals than I got roundballs. Usually it is the other way around, I get better a ball than the conical.

out of 50 casts I got 49 great bullets and 34 decent balls

Never cast such small bullets before. I actually was using my smallest ladle. I never use that for anything but slag clean, but it came in handy for this project.
Should have cleaned my melt pot. Cast iron small Dutch oven. There was enough iron rust in it that I had to skim a sizeable amount of slag out of it. (Haven't fired that pot up in a few years. I should have known better.)

I still got the touch though. Skills I learned from the wonderful shooters here in this forum about 9 years ago.
Someone getting ready to try out a new shooting iron. ?
I went up a size or two. .562 round balls for the Burnside and several hundred .452 RNFP 200 grain for 45C black powder cartridges.

I put some rounds through my Remington .31 pocket pistol. I also have an R&D Conversion Cylinder so I got to shoot it with cap and ball, then the shells. The cap and ball rounds were with 12 grains of powder. I don't know what they are loading these smokeless shells with, but they only do 630 FPS. The cap and ball rounds never failed to punch through my sheet metal target, 2 of the shell rounds failed to penetrate. Saved my brass and will get some primers. They loaded them with Black Powder back in the day.

Now comparing the Colt and Remington pocket pistols it is a hard call which I like better. The Remington is a bit smaller, but it can't hold a full 15 grain charge of powder like the colt version can. The Colt feels good in the hand. The Remington is ok on the grip. I love the trigger on the Remington.

Both are not very accurate at 10 yards. A bit closer at 7 yards and I can get them roughly where I want.

Think I wanna get some 4f powder and try that out in these pistols.

GMan,
It’s a sash too be wore around a BIG GUYS waist… lol

I’m 6’2 255 lbs and it goes around me twice then it’s tied in a double knot and it’s
Still too long for me..
But, I know some Guys who need the extra couple of feet in length..
8’ usually works for me..👍

Historical, I’m sure hemp was around back then and several photos of Longhunters wearing sashes instead of leather belts.
So I would call it HC…. Historically Capable.🤣
Interesting thanks. I wondered if it was something the Indians might have made

Curiosity got the best of me today. I don't remember the twist rate of my Getz barrel on my jaeger. 30" swamped barrel. So, I used a cleaning rod that will rotate, following the lands and grooves of the rifling. Using a piece of masking tape wrapped around the rod to see how far the tape would rotate as I slowly pulled the rod from the barrel. The tape went from the 12 o'clock position to almost the 6 o'clock position. Almost 1/2 a turn of the tape from breech to muzzle. I guesstimate this to be 1/66 twist. 50 calibre barrel.

Latest posts

Back