• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carved and plugged another Powder Horn today. Next to do some scrimshaw...

Attachments

• 15 b.jpg
    15 b.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 26
I am getting the parts together for a TN bear pistol build, this is going to be a long drawn out build with me doing everything. I plan to forge my mounts, I have a forge but never used it and don't know how but I have a friend close by that is very good at it and can help me along.

A bear pistol has a 15" barrel, I have the stock blank, a highly figured piece of curly maple.

gWvjxJD.jpg

I got the lock in today, a Kibler lock similar to a late Ketland, I have to say this lock is made like a fine swiss watch. The gold standard of locks is a Roller lock, I happen to have one, this lock is right up there with a Roller.

IVY6hJB.jpg

Waiting on the barrel from Charles Burton at FCI barrels, it will be a swamped .50, 15" long.

I am getting the parts together for a TN bear pistol build, this is going to be a long drawn out build with me doing everything. I plan to forge my mounts, I have a forge but never used it and don't know how but I have a friend close by that is very good at it and can help me along.

A bear pistol has a 15" barrel, I have the stock blank, a highly figured piece of curly maple.

gWvjxJD.jpg

I got the lock in today, a Kibler lock similar to a late Ketland, I have to say this lock is made like a fine swiss watch. The gold standard of locks is a Roller lock, I happen to have one, this lock is right up there with a Roller.

IVY6hJB.jpg

Waiting on the barrel from Charles Burton at FCI barrels, it will be a swamped .50, 15" long.
that stock blank makes my mouth water! nice!!

I've begun reading Ned Roberts book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". I'm currently on the section where he is discussing optics and sights. This book is a treasure trove of knowledge about anything black powder!

Putting the finishing touch's to Blondie. Re Browning her barrel.

Attachments

• 20220501_115129.jpg
    20220501_115129.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 24
I put this green river knife together with some bone scales and gave it some patina. Now to make a sheath.

Attachments

• 6A3884F7-B4FF-42E2-80BA-C17D25395737.jpeg
    6A3884F7-B4FF-42E2-80BA-C17D25395737.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 49E6B367-97DD-4F6F-89FA-CD6DD31429FD.jpeg
    49E6B367-97DD-4F6F-89FA-CD6DD31429FD.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 32
Shot my Frontier flintlock .50 cal. I have affectionately named my rifle "Chinook" since I spend most of my time shooting in the wind. :) What a cool rifle to shoot, goes boom every time no issues.

50 yds off hand, rainy day off and on. 50 gns Schutzen 3fg, .480 ball.

Thanks for lookin' RR

View attachment 137316 View attachment 137317
It seems Chinook is becoming your go to gun. Glad you're having so much fun and success. Good shooting too !
I finally took my Traditions Flintlock Woodsman out of the package today, verified all parts, cleaned up the inletting, and started to do some fitting.

Hope to have as much fun and success as you in jumping into flint.

Took #2 and a buddy’s son turkey both yesterday and this morning. Saw birds but they didn’t like us enough to come in range. #2 is hunting with my Al Comer made fowler.
The little buddy heater will cook a pop tart as fast as a microwave lol!!!View attachment 137263View attachment 137264View attachment 137266
All you guys out there hunting turkeys with Fowlers or trade guns are really making me jealous! I want to order a kit. Soon I hope! Maybe have it done for next year!

worked a little on my current .45 pistol.
printed this months postal shoot target. said to self, lets just go ahead and hoot it instead of using it for a coffee coaster the rest of the month!
shot the five shots at the five fish in the barrel. eating chicken tonight ,not fish.
was shooting my Ardesa 54 and heard my Mortimer sobbing from neglect so got it out and dirtied it up. surprised me when it liked the Maxies i was shooting.
tried some 150 yard shooting just for giggles. tried.
actually the Mortimer shot an 8 inch group at 150 with the maxies.:dunno:
i cranked up the charge to 90g of ffg under a patched .535 and it put them into a 8 inch group also. must be the best i can see at that distance.
i could set the gun down between firing the maxie and the maxie hitting the target!

Back