• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About muzzle loading...... 🤔
Nothing, I think... :(
sharps.jpg

I took my brand spanking new India style Brown Bess to my back yard and created some smoke! I put powder in the pan then dumped the rest down the barrel. I followed that with a ball of tow. Then shot it! Because I live in suburbia, I didn't put a ball in it. I really don't want to go to jail.

The gauge block made for evening out the ramrod worked spectacular. It now fits the pipes and seats in the stock terrific. This morning I went out at dark to the workshop and got a second coat of stain on it. Will be machining the brass ends perhaps this weekend.

This is for a 54 caliber and I don't know what the diameter of the ball pushing end should be. Plan was to make an educated guess.

The one issue you have with curved discs for targets is the splatter or ricochets going up and out of the park if you hit the disc on the top curve.
Every range I have been to outlawed them because of that. A properly hung steel is on a 5-8% forward tilt so the bullet deflections are downward and into the ground.
This link has an excellent tutorial on the safe way to mount targets.

I shoot in a very remote area. I could see if a guy was shooting in a very populated area that it might be an issue. But the splatter is not going to go far. The first rule of shooting is what is your target and what is behind it comes to play. If you know there is potentially an issue with what is behind the target then the shooter should not take the shot no matter what.

heated and aligned the cock on my cva mountain percussion. made a tang bolt for a tc hawken flintlock that screws into the trigger guard. snapped a few caps on the CVA.
Heated and bent the cock on the TC to get it to spark.
Polished the frizzen to get it to spark.
lightened the frizzen spring to get it to spark.
polished the foot of the frizzen to get it to spark.
changed flints 6 times to get it to spark. finally got it to spark fair with english black.
switched to fffg in the pan.
finally got it to ignite 8 out of 10 pans!
and they say tc flintlocks are junk! :doh:
hopefully it stops raining long enough to throw some lead.

I shot my flint .54 cal rifle and flint .62 cal smooth bore rifle. I did dismally with both. Even off the bench I sucked. Not so much from flinchjing but the guns seemed to jump or buck when they went off. The 50 yard target got missed a lot. I shot the .54 cal 10 times and the .62 4 times and the only good thing about the whole exersize is that both guns went off every time. No long delays. I'm not sure I like flintlocks very much.

I shot my flint .54 cal rifle and flint .62 cal smooth bore rifle. I did dismally with both. Even off the bench I sucked. Not so much from flinchjing but the guns seemed to jump or buck when they went off. The 50 yard target got missed a lot. I shot the .54 cal 10 times and the .62 4 times and the only good thing about the whole exersize is that both guns went off every time. No long delays. I'm not sure I like flintlocks very much.
had the same problem when i first started flint shooting. the solution is to burn about 2 lbs of powder. seems to tame the bucking.

Back