• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished browning my lock parts, gave them a bath in ammonia to neutralize, heated the parts and applied motor oil to them. I checked them the next day and the parts were still rusting bigtime.

I stripped them of the oil and gave them another ammonia bath, all day this time. Again I followed the ammonia with a soap and water scrub, more heat and motor oil.

The last time I followed this procedure my parts stopped rusting immediately. I did have a barrel that kept rusting for a month or so in spite of plenty of ammonia and baking soda treatments so I know these parts will stop rusting in time.

I want to assemble the lock as my rifle is almost finished but won't if I have to keep carding rust off the parts.

My son and I had a fun range day using my 50 cal T/C. It's a caplock. We were shooting 40 gr. fff and patched home cast rb.

I really enjoyed talking to 80-100 "home schooled" kids about how brutal it was living on the frontier in KY back in the 1780's. That's what part of retirement life is all about....

245644868_10219892160605886_2732209341995500822_n.jpg
246141366_10219892160205876_6949742455291568702_n.jpg

Ah. Need to Renew my Gun Club membership so I can Practice for Deer Season in a couple weeks.

working on a M1717 Charleville Lock by the Rifle Shoppe.

Very nice set of castings, one of their best I’ve seen.

Attachments

• F7AB96FF-4B28-468C-9A2D-296A9CE210FD.jpeg
    F7AB96FF-4B28-468C-9A2D-296A9CE210FD.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 40
My son and I had a fun range day using my 50 cal T/C. It's a caplock. We were shooting 40 gr. fff and patched home cast rb.
What brand of powder did you use. 40 grains wont even fill my smallest setting on the brass powder measure for my rifle and my pistol decanter only goes to 30 grains which is not enough fff

Unpacked .31 Italian Colt replica saved by Phil Coffins. Colorado to rural Missouri over the weekend is pretty darn good mail service. Happy to have it back in better shape than when I bought it about 40 years ago. Nice man, did a good job. I'm happy.

I made a small clamp like device to make it easier to work on frizzen springs. Works fairly well. I still need to try 1-1/2F Swiss in it.
Work keeps me crazy with a zillion walnuts in the yard and cleaning the air conditioners.

Picked up three pounds of Schuetzen from the local store. That should hold me through 5 or 6 months with the 1 1/2 pounds of Goex I still have. Here in AZ it’s go time for doing outdoor stuff. I’m officially a hoarder by my own standards in the “Hoarding!” thread. I apologize unreservedly. It’s just that this is so much fun.

Picked up three pounds of Schuetzen from the local store. That should hold me through 5 or 6 months with the 1 1/2 pounds of Goex I still have. Here in AZ it’s go time for doing outdoor stuff. I’m officially a hoarder by my own standards in the “Hoarding!” thread. I apologize unreservedly. It’s just that this is so much fun.

you should try Triple 7, I think its great for a substitute.

you should try Triple 7, I think its great for a substitute.
I definitely will. I thought the 2 pounds I bought of Goex would get me three months or so plus hunting, but went through half a pound in two visits to the clay range. The last one I ran out of powder in my little brass reservoir. I want to do a marathon day where I shoot an entire 100 round sporting clays course. I was thinking if I went substitute, it would be pyrodex, but folks seem to really like 777.

I definitely will. I thought the 2 pounds I bought of Goex would get me three months or so plus hunting, but went through half a pound in two visits to the clay range. The last one I ran out of powder in my little brass reservoir. I want to do a marathon day where I shoot an entire 100 round sporting clays course. I was thinking if I went substitute, it would be pyrodex, but folks seem to really like 777.

Pyrodex is ok, but you just really need to clean the gun out including the lock. Pyrodex has a lot of additives that end up being much more corrosive than regular BP. I know some gunmakers that use pyrodex to age and darken metal parts.

After reading a lot of comments, I bent the barrel on my 58 smoothbore and took it out to the range. Now I am getting 2" groups at 25 yds right on the top of the post front sight. 50 yds gives me a 6 in drop with 60 yrs FFg but still centered on the sights. Next time I will try some heavier loads but this was a great improvement. You can learn a lot from this forum.

inlet the lock plate on my smr build.
cut a piece of flat steel and made a tang for another flinter i am putting together. charged the battery in my truck that has been sitting for 2 months so i can go to the mail box and pick up a trigger set and a maple blank for another project.
think the battery is deceased.
post script.
the wife picked up the stock blank. i just had to laugh! this is how it shipped! made me think i was back in 1960!
20211020_163542.jpg

Last edited:
Back