• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a double header here. And a bit of paying for it forward. Yesterday at my friends indoor range (let’s me shoot my BP stuff 👍) my friend’s Uncle has this repro of the 1800s pocket Percussion cap pistol. This was made in Spain he bought it used back in the 70’s never shot it seemed to have an obstruction in it. So I asked to take it and see if I can repair it. Meanwhile another friend met us there and he gave me... yup gave me....a Thompson Center Arms .45 cal repro Hawkins flintlock Rifle. He acquired 3 rifles from a relative and this one was a bit neglected and the other 2 were those unspeakable brass cartridge rifles 🙄 which he kept. After drooling over it and shooting my 1848 Austin .54 cal pistol. Went home feeling like Ralphie finding that Red Rider BB gun under the Christmas tree, set it aside and worked on that pocket pistol. Yes there was a lead ball jammed. Not to get into a 100 comment jammed ball thread 🤣 I quickly removed it. Took it apart inspected and cleaned it and me being me went out back fired a cap, then another with the patch...hmmm. Well working 25 years in NYCPD in South Bronx back in the 80’s, ya just sometimes say Phuk it. Loaded a .375 lead ball and 15 grains BP. And wow!! All done recleaned call my friend and made him and his Uncles day!!

Now to segway into today’s “what did you do” comment. I spent most all day took the rifle completely down, cleaning, inspecting my Thompson Hawkins Rifle. All she needed was elbo grease and TLC. Darn thing is in really nice shape, flint even works and the bore is in great shape!!! Didn’t fire it yet 😤 don’t have any 45 cal ammo balls that would fit. So guys that’s my double header what I did with muzzleloading stuff.

3CC7F3CD-131D-4F82-824B-4BFCD05AB32C.jpeg
8E76E81D-2B31-4D6C-AE05-E28FF2CDC9B6.jpeg
27F94056-7CAF-437E-929C-B2734040E84B.jpeg
46FE8C31-C68D-485B-A64F-815578E916D5.jpeg
865FA2E1-4CD8-4F9E-AD7D-52706B1B08C1.jpeg
CF041A54-16C3-4BA6-91D3-1D65FB10CA9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Wasn't today but, it was yesterday. Hosted a silhouette shoot at our club. Beautiful day and great turnout. Trying to keep muzzleloader shooting alive in our neck of the woods.

Took out the 1858 Enfield and put 8 or 9 balls through it using 35 grn 2F Graf's powder and thin patch with 4 or the shots and 45 grns on the others. It shot well but was about 8 or 9 inches high at 30 yards with either load. I did shoot at a rock about 200 yards and it struck just below it and a little left. Sights probably set for about 200yards with round balls. Haven't shot any minie's out of it yet. Chronographed one shot out of the Enfield and it registered 983 fps. Also took the 1860 army and put two gun loads through it.. With my arthritic hands I shot all over the place, one gun load right handed and one gun load left handed. I couldn't seat cci 10's on the nipples so I went to Remington 10's. They seated but were troublesome removing after shooting. Next time out I'll try 11's with cci and remington to see if they will work better. The revolver has the slick shot nipples. Now I get to clean both of those beasts.
IIRC - the 58 cal Enfield was designed for a 75gr service charge with a lot heavier projectile.
My Enfield shot so high that I added a taller sight to the front end and it now shoots about 2" high at 50 yards and spot on at 100 using a dead soft .575 round ball and .010 minked patch.
And that is the exact same load I shoot in my Numrich 58 underhammer with the same results.

Yesterday….
Tried something different with my Lyman GPR flint. I don’t get a whole lot of time to shoot, and develop loads. I’ve been trying to follow Dutch’s dry patch system, but still need more time to develop a good combination. So today, I decided I just wanted to have fun and try something different….normally I’ve been using a .530 ball with 7:1 ballistol pillow ticking. This time, I tried a .535 ball, with patch material wet with straight ballistol. I my case, I liked the results better. Made the .535 easier to load, and kept fouling to a minimum. I feel like now I can fine tune the powder charge. (Currently 80gn ffg)

Meanwhile another friend met us there and he gave me... yup gave me....a Thompson Center Arms .45 cal repro Hawkins flintlock Rifle.
Man, I need better friends! That Hawken turned out beautifully.

Man, I need better friends! That Hawken turned out beautifully.
Thank you. Did some searching around, obtained info from this terrific site 👍. The serial number, 10,5XX has a K in front. Read it’s a kit gun from the “K” designation in front of the number & built most likely in mid late 70’s. Can’t wait to try it out.

The problem with uk you need an S1 police certificate to fire anything and that’s only at specific clubs. Too old 78 and the police won’t give me one so guess I am a collector. I mentioned before I have a mint double double .36 rifle. Proof marks cover manufacture from 1904 to 1954. So it’s decent steel barrels Percussion but I can also use large pistol primers even nitro powders like R15 or varget as nitro for black loads. I wanted 2200 ft sec but settle for 1900. as this is a double rifle average velocity , i will not get into regulation. 1000 ft lbs seems to be the norm. Got Grame Wrights book with BP double rifle loading tables, cartridges . I just want to shoot the thing but where !!!! Just been checking it again and the rifling is 1/30” twist. Midland gun company seems to be the seller Birmingham proof marks but I wonder Belgium manufacture who knows. So it’s really too fast a twist for round lead balls. So I think 180g Sierra pistol bullets are best sized accordingly based drilled out for expansion and weight reduced to 140g. I made some casting moulds but they are probably too long for stability I can find no history of the rifle just guessing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 42
I finished up another shooting bag.
Oh woman's work Ha ha I love sewing stuff , mainly yatch sails, I want a walking foot machine for nice leather stitching , i got some old cast iron singers, a cobblers machine for thick stuf and a Paff zig za I got for £300 I paid £124 for wife handbag outrageous, mean to start collecting old leather clothes from charity shops. I do hand sewing too , Something different , I wish you well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 40
I have 2 TC
Thank you. Did some searching around, obtained info from this terrific site 👍. The serial number, 10,5XX has a K in front. Read it’s a kit gun from the “K” designation in front of the number & built most likely in mid late 70’s. Can’t wait to try it out.

Went to the range after work. Finally got my rifle on target at 50 yards. The shots by my thumb are my last two. Ran out of light for anymore shots into that group.
153C16C5-321B-4293-968D-07CA083F4A6C.jpeg

Back