• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned the 1864 Burnside Carbine I shot this group with yesterday. I know it’s not the tack driver you guys are accustomed to seeing but it’s taken me many rounds to get this far with this 157 year old rifle. 50 yards off a bench. Aimpoint is the orange dot below the group. 24 shots. Not even a muzzle loader but a Civil War breech loader. Then I prepared 35 more rounds using a slightly different powder charge to have another go tomorrow. Cast 80 of the ..562 round balls being shot from a batch of lead received from forum member Justin. View attachment 94118
that target has BRAGGING RITES!!

Rolled up 60 paper cartridges for the Fort William Henry reenactment this weekend.

Ill fill them with powder charges tonight

Got a new Lee .457 rb mold from shooter`s den in Sudbury. Young fella has no football tonight so going to run a couple hundred ball for the 1860 Army and the ruger old army.

I shot my 32 cal flintlock!! This is the second time I’ve had it out! Sadly it was struggling in the spark department.:-(

Nope. #11 fit nice and tight. I use a short piece of wood rod to press them in place after capping.
I have been told that you can get a #10 on them, but they are super tight and have a spread. I have not tried that - I just use my CCI #11.
remember that if they go on UBER HARD they will come off after shooting them the same!

Restored a damaged fore end of a original Italian 24 bore over and under percussion shotgun built in 1826 only names on the butt plate T.Rubeiti and G.T.Beilini
Feltwad
100_4254.JPG

100_4265.JPG

100_4269.JPG

Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
made a new ramrod for my 36 underhammer. wasnt happy with threads i did on 1 end. perfect now:thumb:

I didn't do anything today, but yesterday I took my new-ish P-H Whitworth out for a bit of fresh air, and tried out some pointy-nosed Lyman bullets of 535gr multi-groove style. The result was ho-hum with 70gr of Swiss 2Fg, but it closed up some with 3Fg. I'd show some pics but I was so busy doing other stuff with a fellow BP shooter that I forgot and let him shoot on my target. He did better than I did, too. A pal on another forum sent me a selection of Whitworth-style bullets from the Pedersoli mould and also the K.A.L. mould, to see which might fit my undersized bore - it measures just .4495" A/F. The nekkid Pedersoli is a good fit by about a thou, and with a VERY thin paper patch is a good tight fit that might be made easier to load with a little lubing.

I'm all ears when it comes to shooting this one - my old Whitworth simply ett up the beautiful Polisar bullets and shot them like a good unmentionable.

Any tints and hips welcome.

BTW, my platinum-lined nipple from Peter Dyson should be with me tomorrow..... :)

remember that if they go on UBER HARD they will come off after shooting them the same!
The SLIX nipples have the cross drill nipple that uses the backpressure to shake them loose.
After each shot I tilt the gun upward (I have heard that is called the cavalry or horseback cock) and as you cock - the spent cap falls off the nipple and out of the way.
That's a design copied from the HOT SHOT nipples that TOTW sells. And I use them on all of my other percussion rifles and pistols for the same reason.
And maybe I mislead you, the caps do not go on UBER HARD, I just use the dowel to make sure they are completely seated - especially when the guns start getting dirty.
A cap that is not fully seated has a tendency to not go BANG on the first strike - so I make sure they are.

I took the Pedersoli Safari (twin .58 rifle) out and punished myself with a few dozen of the freshly cast LEE REAL 440gr slugs I cast earlier.
Doing a load workup - they started flying good and grouping good at 100gr of 2F O.E.
I didn't get any target pics cause I never went back downrange to reclaim my targets.
20210916_144842.jpg

Took out the 1858 Enfield and put 8 or 9 balls through it using 35 grn 2F Graf's powder and thin patch with 4 or the shots and 45 grns on the others. It shot well but was about 8 or 9 inches high at 30 yards with either load. I did shoot at a rock about 200 yards and it struck just below it and a little left. Sights probably set for about 200yards with round balls. Haven't shot any minie's out of it yet. Chronographed one shot out of the Enfield and it registered 983 fps. Also took the 1860 army and put two gun loads through it.. With my arthritic hands I shot all over the place, one gun load right handed and one gun load left handed. I couldn't seat cci 10's on the nipples so I went to Remington 10's. They seated but were troublesome removing after shooting. Next time out I'll try 11's with cci and remington to see if they will work better. The revolver has the slick shot nipples. Now I get to clean both of those beasts.

Latest posts

Back