• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out with my 32 Seneca today and used my new accoutrements, A small priming horn that holds more than enough powder to shoot as much as I need to squirrel hunt all day a small leather possibles bag and a powder measure I made from a piece of deer antler. Was not hunting just walked around my woods and took practice shots at random items mostly fallen walnuts that I would strategically place. I rarely shoot my other guns and am pondering letting a couple go as I am having a 40 Cal flintlock built. My theory is let someone get them and shoot them like they should be. So am probably going to get rid of a 36 Seneca and a 32 Cherokee and some extra barrels. Have shoulder surgery in a couple of weeks and the recovery period is lengthy so wont be shooting for at least 4 months. Been a little gloomy lately knowing that there wont be a deer or any late season squirrel or rabbit hunting this season. The only time since I was maybe 8 or 9 years old that I will miss my favorite time to hunt but health comes first and without surgery I am pretty limited as to what I can do.

Relocated an 1851 Navy, 1858 Remington Army, a Patriot .45, a .62 brass barrel smoothbore flintlock pistol, and a knife with a deer bone handle to someplace easier accessible.

I had kept them in a closet (top shelf). My wife had them buried with tons of clothes and shoes and various other things. I had to move stuff in order to open one of the sliding closet doors and then stand on a stool to reach over things to retrieve my toys.

That's the natural hole in the middle of it. It was longer that that at the start so just cut it down slowly until it measured 50 grains of powder. Cleaned out the hole with some sandpaper and a small file. Used it today and it works great.
So what did the goat say about having his horn shortened? Or was that a self defense move on your part?

That's the natural hole in the middle of it. It was longer that that at the start so just cut it down slowly until it measured 50 grains of powder. Cleaned out the hole with some sandpaper and a small file. Used it today and it works great.
thank you.

Haven't shot it yet, that will come as soon as I can find some #10 percussion caps. I have been looking at this pistol for well over a month. I had to make a few promises and sacrifices to my wife. Man, I hope it shoots good.

210914-002   2 x 1_3.jpg

BTW, it has an unmentionable LC cylinder also.

5th day working on Kibler colonial 54 kit. Started my design and wood carving yesterday. This curly maple is difficult to work with every 1/2" you have to deal with varying grain and knots. It's terrible stuff but I'm committed to work with it, just go slow with little chips and keep the gouges sharp. I'm enjoying the build and learning alot as I progress along. I'll have pictures next time....

Haven't shot it yet, that will come as soon as I can find some #10 percussion caps. I have been looking at this pistol for well over a month. I had to make a few promises and sacrifices to my wife. Man, I hope it shoots good.

View attachment 94068

BTW, it has an unmentionable LC cylinder also.
# 10's are nonexistent in my neck of the woods, so you can pinch # 11's and put them on the nipples. it will work in a pinch. a lot of us have done it.

Oiled and put away minie molds.
Got the smooth sided minies ready to wrap.
Need to make a new push rod to feed the paper patched bullets through the sizing die.

Cleaned the 1864 Burnside Carbine I shot this group with yesterday. I know it’s not the tack driver you guys are accustomed to seeing but it’s taken me many rounds to get this far with this 157 year old rifle. 50 yards off a bench. Aimpoint is the orange dot below the group. 24 shots. Not even a muzzle loader but a Civil War breech loader. Then I prepared 35 more rounds using a slightly different powder charge to have another go tomorrow. Cast 80 of the ..562 round balls being shot from a batch of lead received from forum member Justin.
58F76E15-17CA-4665-9E57-615374C92613.jpeg

Last edited:
OR - replace those nipples with a set of SLIXSHOT. Use your #11 caps and it helps stop cap frags and jams.

SLIXSHOT, where would I find those? I see Track of the Wolf has #11 percussion nipples that are supposed to be good to go: 6-.75mm metric thread, .319" long cone for some FAP - Pietta Remington, Pietta Colt, Pietta Le Mat replica revolvers, fits Pietta 1873 Colt Percussion, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel. I can order a set, just have to wait for a week or so.

Cleaned the 1864 Burnside Carbine I shot this group with yesterday. I know it’s not the tack driver you guys are accustomed to seeing but it’s taken me many rounds to get this far with this 157 year old rifle. 50 yards off a bench. Aimpoint is the orange dot below the group. 24 shots. Not even a muzzle loader but a Civil War breech loader. Then I prepared 35 more rounds using a slightly different powder charge to have another go tomorrow. Cast 80 of the ..562 round balls being shot from a batch of lead received from forum member Justin. View attachment 94118

Remind me to not pi$$ you off. Quite a few center mass. Good shooting.

SLIXSHOT, where would I find those? I see Track of the Wolf has #11 percussion nipples that are supposed to be good to go: 6-.75mm metric thread, .319" long cone for some FAP - Pietta Remington, Pietta Colt, Pietta Le Mat replica revolvers, fits Pietta 1873 Colt Percussion, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel. I can order a set, just have to wait for a week or so.
https://www.slixprings.com/products.php?cat=1I have 3 revolvers all fit with these. I use CCI #11 caps on all of them now.

Broke the end off of a # 3 X 48 TPI tapping threads in a m/l barrel for a peep sight. This first hole is a rehearsal in a cut off barrel so the actual two holes in the customer's barrel go , ok. Reground the broken tap , will try again tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back