• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday....again, a day late and a dollar short. I was just too pooped to log on last night.

I was shooting a .490 dia. round ball, using a .010 prelubed patch, 70 gr. of (ACK!!!) Hodgdon Select (FFG), and a Winchester magnum percussion cap. The flyer to the left was the first shot. Didn't touch the sights and the resulting nine shot group was the best I've seen for a time. Distance, 25 yards, measured, not paced. I replaced the front sight again to something much more usable for my purposes, fun shooting. I had a 17AEU Front target globe. With my deteriorating eyesight, I just couldn't make it work with any of the inserts. I switched to a 37ML front sight. When that white dot is lit by sunlight, it's almost like using a red dot sight. I'll keep burning powder just because it's fun.

210825-002  2 x 3.jpg

I like weirdo targets, this was using the same load but at 44 yards, measured. Nothing to write home about but it was fun. Nasty looking bugger.

210825-005  2 x 3.jpg

Go burn some powder, have some fun, life is short and biden might be making it shorter.....

Yesterday....again, a day late and a dollar short. I was just too pooped to log on last night.

I was shooting a .490 dia. round ball, using a .010 prelubed patch, 70 gr. of (ACK!!!) Hodgdon Select (FFG), and a Winchester magnum percussion cap. The flyer to the left was the first shot. Didn't touch the sights and the resulting nine shot group was the best I've seen for a time. Distance, 25 yards, measured, not paced. I replaced the front sight again to something much more usable for my purposes, fun shooting. I had a 17AEU Front target globe. With my deteriorating eyesight, I just couldn't make it work with any of the inserts. I switched to a 37ML front sight. When that white dot is lit by sunlight, it's almost like using a red dot sight. I'll keep burning powder just because it's fun.

View attachment 91603

I like weirdo targets, this was using the same load but at 44 yards, measured. Nothing to write home about but it was fun. Nasty looking bugger.

View attachment 91606

Go burn some powder, have some fun, life is short and biden might be making it shorter.....
One thing for sure - that's a dead demon deer - unless that was an already dead demon.
And you had a load of fun.
It just doesn't get any better than that....

Today I filed the metal then drilled/chamfered the wood screw hole on my trigger plate, installed it, then marked where the tang bolt will be drilled on my Fowler build.

One thing for sure - that's a dead demon deer - unless that was an already dead demon.
And you had a load of fun.
It just doesn't get any better than that....

I've heard a similar quote to the one I am about to say although it involved fishing.

"A bad day at the shooting range is better than the best day you've ever had at work." :thumb:

Tomorrow I’ll be spending my day preparing for Saturday’s youth field day. Myself and black powder range staff will be introducing 70 plus kids to black powder shooting and tomahawk throwing. I expect till Saturday is over I’ll barely be able to lift my arms over my head. From loading and cleaning. The kids will probably shoot around ten shots each. Upwards of 100 shots per gun. I’ll be bringing 3 guns myself. The other guys will bring two or three more. Lots of hanging clay birds to be busted. Hoo Hoo

B34D44CE-E9C0-4A97-8046-B88380DE6D3B.jpeg
Shot my Fusil de Chasse with one of my crooked home made flints. Fired about 20 shots with it and it’s still good for more.

Went out and sit under the shade tree with a big cool glass of lemonade, sorted out the range box along with several possibles. Oiled some leather and cut some patches. Rummaged the old double barrel out of it's hiding place and inspected for dove season. Later in the day cranked the UTV and scouted for game trails for snaring this year and scouted for possible natural deer ambush this fall. AHHH, it is so nice to be retired and away from the clock.

Back