• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the range for some impromptu target shooting. I caught this ball going past the 200 yard bear. Its interesting to see the drop.

The camera was set at 160x zoom and resting on a sandbag.

Moment 34-11 .jpg
Moment 34-15 .jpg

Moment 34-18 .jpg

Moment 34-21.jpg

Picked up a new pistol from Greg Dixion today from Dixon’s Muzzleloader shop in Kempton Pa. About an hour from me. I was looking for something used that I could strip down and make it look old school, but instead walked out with a Uberti Charcoal Blue and Case Harden NMA in 8”44 cal. like I needed another pistol. But I digress ,like I said I was looking for used but this Taylor’s model is hands down gorgeous and the action is like greassssssed owl poo on steroids it’s that sweet no kidding. I really never saw the charcoal blue in contrast with the case harden look before and it just did it for me. Asked to check it out and that was a mistake I new I was going to take it home, It came in one of the newer looking boxes from Taylor’s and a really nice padded case with Velcro closer with Taylor’s logo on it. I do not know if they tune the black powder models or not but there is not one sharp edge or imperfection on it the wood to metal fitment is fantastic, I own many Uberti firearms but I never thought they were capable of making something this nice I mean it’s hard to see the dovetail joints seams on the upper and lower parts of the barrel. I just wanted to share this with you all I guess I am just super pumped. If anyone else has this color scheme what do you think. Thanks for listening to me or reading me ramble.🤩

Held my annual reenactors' shoot / live fire drill:
Let then fire groups with two different Minies to maybe find out which their rifled musket likes.
Then on to some fun, firing volleys at 50 yards at a rank of small silhouettes;
Then firing by file at gallon milk jugs in a 'war" = team shooting;
Then fired at my reproduction of the Winfield Scott targets.
After lunch and a short business meeting,
Went back in time to the 1600s and let those who wanted to fire my matchlock musket.
That's my contribution to the reenacting and muzzle loading hobbies this month.

T/C "something" arrived yesterday via online auction where condition was labelled "poor". Very accurate description. Cracked, pooly glued stock and lock spray painted gloss black. Wedge, Wedge plates, and ramrod missing as is the blade portion of the rear sight. Barrel exterior - no finish at all. Either a project, parts, or antique mall.

Sometime you win, sometimes you lose. This one's probably a wash.
What's the barrel like and what cal.?

What's the barrel like and what cal.?
Says ".50" on the barrel. Like an ugly person in a bar, it's a "30 footer" - looks good from 30 feet. Bore might clean up, the outside has herpes. I put $200 tag on it, heading to the anique mall to fill an empty slot in a gun rack. Too many projects.

Gotta admit, gloss black spray paint sets it apart and brass furniture stands out.

To Smokey to shoot or be outside breathing the air. My wife was throwing out some t shirts so I cut them up and made cleaning patches, also spent some time looking at muzzleloaders on the inter web

knapped a hand full of flints. As requested i videoed it with my phone. i will post it, but be warned! its 5 minutes of your life you will never get back.
i use the boppers to rough shape them then thin and finish with the Ishi stick. i used to use the file hammer and anvil but unless one happens to have nearly perfect blades spalled off the node/nodule/billet i found it hard to shape and sharpen. in addition to the fact i broke 3 for every 1 i completed. i started using the boppers and stick and now break 1 out of 12 maybe.
with the knapping i get double ended flints and some are sharp enough to shave hair.
this award winning video really doesn't show much because the cinematographer ain't one! should have showed before pictures of the shards i was knapping and the progression to finish. spalling blades is not something i have mastered.
pop some corn and sit back and enjoy!

well the video file is too large to post. i will trim it some more and see .
best way to see my technique( cough, cough!) is to visit you tube and watch Jack Crafty knap with the Ishi stick. i learned the stick from him.

Attachments

• 20210821_210724.jpg
    20210821_210724.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
knapped a hand full of flints. As requested i videoed it with my phone. i will post it, but be warned! its 5 minutes of your life you will never get back.
i use the boppers to rough shape them then thin and finish with the Ishi stick. i used to use the file hammer and anvil but unless one happens to have nearly perfect blades spalled off the node/nodule/billet i found it hard to shape and sharpen. in addition to the fact i broke 3 for every 1 i completed. i started using the boppers and stick and now break 1 out of 12 maybe.
with the knapping i get double ended flints and some are sharp enough to shave hair.
this award winning video really doesn't show much because the cinematographer ain't one! should have showed before pictures of the shards i was knapping and the progression to finish. spalling blades is not something i have mastered.
pop some corn and sit back and enjoy!

well the video file is too large to post. i will trim it some more and see .
best way to see my technique( cough, cough!) is to visit you tube and watch Jack Crafty knap with the Ishi stick. i learned the stick from him.

Just curious - what is your latitude? Those panels have a LOT of tilt on them.
And - those are some really nice looking flints!
What material are the white ones?

Just curious - what is your latitude? Those panels have a LOT of tilt on them.
And - those are some really nice looking flints!
What material are the white ones?
white flints are Burlington.
48.99793° N, -116.49796° E.
those panels give me 100 % of needed power. battery is full by 10 am in winter and 11 am in the summer. i have a mountain that blocks the sun from 2 pm in the winter.
that incline keeps the snow off too.

white flints are Burlington.
48.99793° N, -116.49796° E.
those panels give me 100 % of needed power. battery is full by 10 am in winter and 11 am in the summer. i have a mountain that blocks the sun from 2 pm in the winter.
that incline keeps the snow off too.
I figured there had to be a reason. I am in N. Texas and I set my angle at 30 degrees. We don't have to worry about mountains or snow here. :thumb:

I attempted my first batch of bore butter: Mutton Tallow, Beeswax, and a bit of Ballistol. Also filed down the ends of a Hickory ramrod to fit the tips and T-handle.

Spent the whole day wishing it wasn’t so Smokey so I could go shoot the beautiful new to me 45 cal TC Cherokee that was delivered on Thursday!

made a lot of little white gravel out of nice big white rock!
a session of frustration trying to knap the Burlington chert i have. i heat treated it. i reheat treated it. most is just so fractured i end up with rubble in my hand from one strike.
whine , snivel.
could be worse.

cleaned two rifles form yesterdays trip to the range. If the range is not busy, they allow reactive targets like pop cans, clay pigeons and the small exploding discs as long as you clean up after yourselves. Took some cap and ball revolvers, a couple rifles, and my shooting buddy who is newly converted to BP. And the 15 year old with his iPad. Myself and my buddy poked a lot of holes in stuff we were not shooting at. Son got bored with his iPad, came out and showed up us two old guys by hitting 21 out of 25 pop cans at 15 yards-(25 shots) even with my high shooting 1951 navy. Three of the 5 revolvers he had never touched before yesterday. not sure if i`be been a prouder dad.

Cut out my new pouch for my old gun. Copy sort of from Mountain Man sketch book two. Be closer to time frame for my SMR
Sewed it up today, did put a red osnaburg lining. Woven hemp strap. Paired it with my first ‘nice’ horn. A 1978 Ron Brown, bought new in San Diego when I was in the navy. Don’t know anything about Brown, but his horn has served me well.

Elkhide simple possible belt bag turned into .58 kit for my new (to me) Hawken. Worked on handle for my old Collins Hudson Bay hatchet, now becoming hawk. Hoping the weather and humidity cools down so I can cast some balls over a fire. Horses don't think much of the weather either.

Back