• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made up some fat lube for leather, gun stocks, dry skin, patches and more. Rubbed my mocs, knife sheath and gun stock down with it.

PXL_20210819_225408590.jpg

PXL_20210819_225401048.jpg

Trying to find that “sweet spot” load for an old Burnside Carbine. Also worked on an additional wooden box to hold these odd shaped “cartridges”

Attachments

• D99331FC-6972-4625-BF7B-A9FAB26D0BEC.jpeg
    D99331FC-6972-4625-BF7B-A9FAB26D0BEC.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 48
Made a loading block for my Kibler. Packed my shooting pouch and haversack for a day in the woods 18th century style with my son. Squirrel season starts tomorrow here in Kentucky. Going to do some hunting then cook some deer meat on the fire.

Are you using flint or chert in the lock?
Flint and take a look at this @ord sgt I just got done making the hammer I need to try and make some gun flints from the English Flint you sent me. I got everything packed up to take to my land. I'll post some pics if I have any success.
PXL_20210820_221438310.jpg

Drove about 100 miles or so to meet up with Toby and Anna of Travelers Trading and Antiques to pickup some Swiss powder for me and some Schuetzen powder for my neighbor and hunting buddy and a powder horn for 1 of my sons.Good day!

did some carving on a horn. then knapped a dozen or so flints. would have had more if i could stop trying to knap an Obsidian knife!
anybody want a hand full of half knives?
finally got around to fixing the break in my mortimer stock . Again. hogged it out, doubled rodded it and screwed it into submission.
stripped the finish and found the wrist section of the stock is sap wood. surprised Pedersoli would use it.
found a blank/plank and am going to whittle a new stock. hopefully before this one breaks again.

did some carving on a horn. then knapped a dozen or so flints. would have had more if i could stop trying to knap an Obsidian knife!
anybody want a hand full of half knives?
finally got around to fixing the break in my mortimer stock . Again. hogged it out, doubled rodded it and screwed it into submission.
stripped the finish and found the wrist section of the stock is sap wood. surprised Pedersoli would use it.
found a blank/plank and am going to whittle a new stock. hopefully before this one breaks again.
Mind showing some pics of your gun Flint knapping technique?

Technique! Technique? I don't got no stinking technique :ghostly:
seriously though I will try today to video it. i tried the other day with my phone, but it maxed out the memory because i had 3k or more pictures on the thing. had no idea i had so many. some from 2018 when i was forced by the grand hi pubah to get the dang phone!
mostly i find a likely looking shard and Ishi stick it into submission.
made these yesterday between splitting firewood and waiting for lunch. lunch was slow coming!
20210821_081819.jpg

i will dress the edges as i use them or if they are too wide or long.
this georgetown chert has lots of concrete in it. makes it hard to sharpen sometimes

T/C "something" arrived yesterday via online auction where condition was labelled "poor". Very accurate description. Cracked, pooly glued stock and lock spray painted gloss black. Wedge, Wedge plates, and ramrod missing as is the blade portion of the rear sight. Barrel exterior - no finish at all. Either a project, parts, or antique mall.

Sometime you win, sometimes you lose. This one's probably a wash.

Technique! Technique? I don't got no stinking technique :ghostly:
seriously though I will try today to video it. i tried the other day with my phone, but it maxed out the memory because i had 3k or more pictures on the thing. had no idea i had so many. some from 2018 when i was forced by the grand hi pubah to get the dang phone!
mostly i find a likely looking shard and Ishi stick it into submission.
made these yesterday between splitting firewood and waiting for lunch. lunch was slow coming!View attachment 90830
i will dress the edges as i use them or if they are too wide or long.
this georgetown chert has lots of concrete in it. makes it hard to sharpen sometimes
Looks good and a video would be great. I made a few today. My little chipping hammer works great but getting a nice blade off of the nodule is not easy. Tested one out on my Kibler and it sparks nicely.
PXL_20210821_144501517.jpg

PXL_20210821_145007812.jpg

Back