• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BRIT, looked at your post to LME on the Henry Krank place, I thought our prices for things were high especially on the new brass cases and primers. You guys are way up in costs. Going for rabbits tomorrow let ya know how it goes. Did like the section on loading B.P. cartridges for shotguns, I have a complete set of hand tools to load those, even a box or two of brass cases.

today I made some wads. while waiting for Fedex to deliver a Tennessee Mountain Classic stock and Green Mountain barrel i bought from a fellow member. Didn't come. so i shot a TC .50 Hawken I have been neglecting. Looked up the tracking again. Delayed. The stock/barrel is just 60 miles down the mountain and both my vehicles had terminal heart attacks. One car last Thursday and my pickup today on the way to rescue the car!
love being stranded here in paradise!
then i cleaned the .50 using a little steam cleaner meant for stripping wall paper. used some O2 tubing and had old faithfull coming out of the nipple on that patent breach!
Had a black waterfall coming out the muzzle. Slick!.
ran my bore scope down after it cooled and that flash channel and the breach plug looked like brand new!
i drew the tube out slow and let it steam the rifling. turned out great.
swabbed with Ballistol after it cooled and will watch it for whatever.
after that i neutralized the browning on a barrel and carded it down smooth then greased it up and wiped it down . real nice deep chocolate.
set up a workmate and clamped my checkering cradle with my replacement Mortimer stock in it.
if my pickup hadn't died i would have wasted the whole day in town. shudder!

I finished my Haines project a couple of months ago, the kit came with a brass sight, I don't like brass on a browned barrel. I found that steel sights are hard to come by but finally found one on line, when the sight came in it was nickel silver, not steel. I contacted the supplier about the mix-up, they looked in their bins and found they didn't have any steel sights either so I mounted the nickel sight and shot my gun to sight it in.

I was at the AL Kentucky gun show a couple of weeks ago, Jack Garner always has a variety of parts for sale and there they were, steel sights in abundance.

Yesterday I filed the sight to fit the dovetail and reduced its height to the same as I had filed the nickel sight to.

It has been dry in N/W Alabama lately so I made a mini sweat box to brown my new sight, a wet paper towel in a covered plastic sandwich box.

This is one coat of LMF and overnight in the box, the rusting is going well.

rusting sight.JPG

20220125_112724.jpg

Spent some time on this stock, removed the thick layer of clear whatever goo the Italians put on this nice wood back in the 70/80s when they built the gun. I believe il keep this one its growing on me by the minute.

View attachment 117295
Spent some time on this stock, removed the thick layer of clear whatever goo the Italians put on this nice wood back in the 70/80s when they built the gun. I believe il keep this one its growing on me by the minute.
the Italians put the cheek piece on the wrong side too! :D nice piece of wood.

Today I tuned up a siler lock on my .32 SMR. polished the internals so mirror i saw a old bearded grumpy ogre in the reflection.
Grumpy cause the miserable shipping company is giving my new project a rest from its travels just 65 miles away and i can't even get a real person on the phone to arrange to go pick it up!🤬
Oh well, guess it will give me more time to study Tennessee mountain style.
4 days it's been sitting in Sandpoint. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I pulled out the Kentucky 50 cal for the member monthly paper shoot. 25 yards off hand. I didn’t get it cleaned today so I may try some more shooting tomorrow!:)

6B8C3D1C-2343-4126-A0E2-DBFDA36C0FEB.jpeg
CD351AAF-E019-4EF5-AC21-E911BBD6B883.jpeg

Went down to my local muzzleloader shop this evening, chatted with the owners for a lil bit. Bought 100 .530 round balls. Came home and saw I got the catalog from Log Cabin Shop in the mail. Might take a ride over there on Saturday. It’s only 90 miles from me.

punched out 100 felt over powder wads.
reassembled my Mortimer. had it stripped down using the parts while inletting my replacement stock.
have it all inlet so wanted to reassemble before i started losing parts.
tapered the Rammer as it would stick when fully seated.
stained the ramrod then noticed i was short one on my CVA mountain, so i turned a piece of hickory for it. going to tip it with horn tomorrow.
wanted to shoot the Mortimer as it is feeling neglected, not being shot now for a few weeks. But when i went outside ith cold bit my nose so i wussed out!👨‍🦳

Back