Following your build was curious about the screws in the patch box lid but seen where shooterpup answered the question I was going to ask about filing the heads flat, building an information knowledge base for when I take the plunge on one of Jims kits.Taking a late lunch break from the shop. Starting this morning on adding the brass plate to the back edge of the patch box cover. Have to give credit to @davec2 for a great description of the process he posted 3 or 4 months ago. Would not be trying this without his post. I thought I might get both patch lids done today, but that’s not going to happen. Can’t say there’s been anything fun about doing this! And I haven’t even gotten to removing about 1/16” of wood from the lid. Hopefully it will turn out ok and the satisfaction will be worth it. Here’s what I did so far, and I did at least bend the brass plate for the other Woodsrunner. If you try doing it, be prepared for lots of filing!!!
Yep, of the photos I looked at they had screws, but there’s really no need for screws at all. My big mistake was drilling and shaping the plate before removing the wood. I didn’t think taking less than 1/16” off would make any difference but it did. I’ll use the other plate, already have it bent, get it shaped, then use a little epoxy and a couple of short round head brass nails to attach it. Should be fine, but for 2 days work it better be!Following your build was curious about the screws in the patch box lid but seen where shooterpup answered the question I was going to ask about filing the heads flat, building an information knowledge base for when I take the plunge on one of Jims kits.
Shot both my 50 and 54 cal Hawkens. The 50 shot great, round ball loads and conicals. The 54 shot like garbage. I have posted on this in another thread but over all it was a lovely day to burn some powder.Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
Terrier, thanks for looking any ways, I'll have to do more "digging" using the computer! Looks like you found the best on your first outing, stay cool friend!@Hatman/2nd line The itch got me and I went back down to the creek today…
Didn’t find any exceptional pieces, but found a few more that were similar to the first good one, just not as good. I don’t think I’m gonna pan out as a source of flint for ya…. I looked for two hours and came back as wet as if I’d laid down in the creek. HOT!
The good rock from yesterday was black on the one spot and faded off to brown…. The similar pieces today had more brown to them.
Yesterday’s good one:
View attachment 240946
Then today… not so much.
View attachment 240947
It’s tough hunting down there…. Lot’s of limestone. The creek bed is plate rock limestone, and you see pieces like this everywhere:
View attachment 240964
Big as dinner plates and look like the perfect flint at first glance, but soft limestone.
And I found one piece that looked like it could’ve been a discarded musket flint!
View attachment 240948
@Grenadier1758 I did know that obsidian was glassy, but wasn’t sure if it would serve well as a fire starting flint. That’s what I’ve been after down by the creek (Fire starter flints… not obsidian! ) I have a long way to go before I can make a rifle flint.
Good choice, shellac was a commonly used finish on early firearms.I sometimes use a thin shellac or a Wiping Varnish. Not a lot but enough to seal it, (particularly if I use a water based dye). Then I like to apply paste wax for a great finish and added protection.
This is how I finished my Sparrow Pistol after applying BLO to enhance the wood.