• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, good price.
I was happy with 10.99 at the gun shop I went to today.

I finally made it out shooting the 50cal I recently got. It was a good day.

I have been out of work for a couple days with a nasty cold. It was pretty nice out, so I opened up the garage and fired up the melting pot. Cast up 150 .490 lead balls and 100 .535 RB. A couple hundred more of each and I should be pretty well set for the season. I also took down the 1863 Springfield for a thorough cleaning hasnt been shot in about ten years) and gave my Kibler Colonial a good go over polishing everything up real good, waxing, etc.

It was 45F and dry weather.
Burned through some #11 caps showing my cap gun a little love yesterday....
No video work, just making smoke shooting a zoo critter.

326681357_723693446057210_6334154626546396061_n.jpg

Someone else, nick_1 above, just posted a Forster loading block...here are some pictures of homemade nipple wrenches made with a Dremel tool with a cutting disk.
The top loader is illegal in several states it has 15 balls, I was ahead of the times 50 years ago...bottom one is 10 balls legal in some states.:doh:

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
After I read all the replies, I gather that SOME of you like to see things get blown up and some of you like to see the "out takes". The first video is definitely an out take. You will see a tiny slice of my life dealing with one of the cats who apparently wanted to "help out" this morning, and informing the female half of the household that she was being recorded... which she doesn't like. Tough. She should have been quiet. Dunnow what she was doing, maybe trying to lift something heavy. You will also see a misfire, and then a hangfire and a miss. You can see the bullet impact in the dirt just above the target.

Second video was of me shooting my "Yellow Bird Gun" at a quart cream carton in the driveway at 30 yards. Fifty yard targets are more challenging, but harder for the viewers to see well until the "splosion". This was 30 grains of Pyrodex P under a .50 caliber PRB. 12 " barrel. Much better result this time.

Temperature outside was about forty degrees I'd guess, so T-shirt weather in Wisconsin. Most of the snow is gone, but as we are expecting a blizzard or at least a mini-blizzard today, it'll be back soon enough.

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Just made a deal for a .40 rifle. 34” x 7/8” Goodoien barrel, L&R Durs Egg lock, Dru Hedgecock triggers. OAL of 50”.
I’ve been looking for a rifle like this for a while. I’ll post pics and more info when it arrives. Can’t wait to try it out - this will be my first .40 rifle.

I polished the bore of my new .32. It feels smoother when I got to the last piece of Scotchbrite.
First I ran a dry patch through it to remove any oil. It came out looking like it had been shot it was so dirty. But it did look like fouling with a kernel on the patch. So I cleaned it, polished it, then cleaned it again.

After I read all the replies, I gather that SOME of you like to see things get blown up and some of you like to see the "out takes". The first video is definitely an out take. You will see a tiny slice of my life dealing with one of the cats who apparently wanted to "help out" this morning, and informing the female half of the household that she was being recorded... which she doesn't like. Tough. She should have been quiet. Dunnow what she was doing, maybe trying to lift something heavy. You will also see a misfire, and then a hangfire and a miss. You can see the bullet impact in the dirt just above the target.

Second video was of me shooting my "Yellow Bird Gun" at a quart cream carton in the driveway at 30 yards. Fifty yard targets are more challenging, but harder for the viewers to see well until the "splosion". This was 30 grains of Pyrodex P under a .50 caliber PRB. 12 " barrel. Much better result this time.

Temperature outside was about forty degrees I'd guess, so T-shirt weather in Wisconsin. Most of the snow is gone, but as we are expecting a blizzard or at least a mini-blizzard today, it'll be back soon enough.

Wow! Getting warm in your area, Dale? Where's all that snow gone?

Pete

Dale. here is one of them. nothing special. seasoned with bore butter. the starter is really nice because its long enough to do the whole job. i got that starter from track Of The Wolf. made the counter top with butternut and white cedar trimmed with cherry.
IMG_5356.jpg

I made to the range today, first time to get to shoot since before Christmas. In the sixties, overcast and blustery. I managed to chew up a target at 100 yards. I am not the greatest shoot and didn't pay attention to the wind, pulled a few, just plain shot badly but managed to group a few close to the X. Really happy to get on paper at a 100.

Attachments

• 20230209_155832.jpg
    20230209_155832.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Wow! Getting warm in your area, Dale? Where's all that snow gone?

Pete
Just now went out to shoot. Had a blizzard falling on me. In Wisconsin, USA, weather prediction is just flipping a coin a few times and taking the average. Had a long shooting session. Windage was off and adjustments were not working, in the end, I had to walk it back to about where I started. Tomorrow is another day. with fresh snow on the ground!

Barrel mounts attached and inletted.

Barrel/stock mounting success.

Final bedding and clamping.

Tomorrow's the big day. Drilling and tapping the breech plug for a tang screw. Askeert.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    494.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    851.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 0
I blew a tire on my 57 yr old plow truck.
IMG_4500.jpg
Dry rot... had it jacked up in the yard so i could bring the wheel to the tire place and get a new tire. naturally its an odd size that is hard to find so it was a few days. in the meantime it warmed up and the roof of the barn slid and burried the wheel well and jack in wet concrete that I had to shovel out when i got home from work with my fixed wheel. Took one good shot with the trapper before I dug into that project. naturally the snow that was dumping down turned to rain half way through trying to get the chains on the new tire... got er done and plowed up the mess. going to clean the trapper after dinner.

Latest posts

Back