• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not finished with it yet, but I made a 45 gr powder measure for the SMR. I’ll keep carving on it until I like it or I mess it up!

Attachments

• 75B4FA2D-6041-4840-8164-C9A64544B386.jpeg
    75B4FA2D-6041-4840-8164-C9A64544B386.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 17F82F8D-1BB1-4AE3-A0AA-6C76C968DF13.jpeg
    17F82F8D-1BB1-4AE3-A0AA-6C76C968DF13.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Refilled 3 of my cappers, polished up my powder measures, tinkered with my .54 Great Plains Rifle, called and checked on an order. And of course, spent a fair amount of time on the ML forums. :)

I’m not finished with it yet, but I made a 45 gr powder measure for the SMR. I’ll keep carving on it until I like it or I mess it up!
I wanted some of these, and thought about making some, but could not locate a source for deer/elk antlers. In the end, I ordered them from October Country. They look good and work well.

Only thing I thought about doing was color coding them. My fifty and my seventy grain measures look pretty much alike. Might get some fabric dye and see how one of 'em looks.... or not.

Well, yesterday ... I was feeling better though I have the flu. So I rolled some paper cartridges for my .75 matchlock musket. 4 buckshot, 3 buck and ball, 2 ball. My ambition is to hold a shoot off and compare performance of my matchlock with a friend's blunderbuss of the same caliber. Now if on;y i can stop coughing I can make progress on a number of things.

I wanted some of these, and thought about making some, but could not locate a source for deer/elk antlers. In the end, I ordered them from October Country. They look good and work well.

Only thing I thought about doing was color coding them. My fifty and my seventy grain measures look pretty much alike. Might get some fabric dye and see how one of 'em looks.... or not.
I have the same problem keeping them separate. I don’t cut up any of few decent racks I’ve shot, but I usually find several good drops each spring that keep me supplied. I’ve made a number of antler measures, but nothing fancy, and I’ve given most of them to my Sons. But now that I plan to make more for me the memory hurtle will certainly be there. I’ve carved in the number before, but it never looks right.

I have the same problem keeping them separate. I don’t cut up any of few decent racks I’ve shot, but I usually find several good drops each spring that keep me supplied. I’ve made a number of antler measures, but nothing fancy, and I’ve given most of them to my Sons. But now that I plan to make more for me the memory hurtle will certainly be there. I’ve carved in the number before, but it never looks right.
Carve a pattern of some kind?

Ordered another flinter :rolleyes:

And balls and patches and jags... yep. New caliber.
But fortunately Midway is having a sale on Hornady balls. I saved 4 something/100 over TOTW and another 4 over Dixie :thumb:

Carve a pattern of some kind?
I’m going to try on this one. I added another ring and made them all deeper since that photo. I think I’ll try for a ball shape around the lanyard hole and put some rings down to the tip. I’ve been looking through my Accouterments book for ideas

Attachments

• 592CA3EA-DF69-4FC4-B2F7-345C5200D42D.jpeg
    592CA3EA-DF69-4FC4-B2F7-345C5200D42D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I’ve started to experiment with home grown BP it looks promising but I can’t seem to get the poof that commercial BP gets. More experimentation is needed.
Making my own as well.
Lucky that most of the invasive shrubs and trees seem to make good charcoal for BP.
As does wild grape Vines (muscadine and scuppernong). Having good luck with privet and even bamboo. Plenty of information on YouTube.
No presently illegal to make for your own use BUT IT IS illegal to transport or sell it after manufacturer.

Making my own as well.
Lucky that most of the invasive shrubs and trees seem to make good charcoal for BP.
As does wild grape Vines (muscadine and scuppernong). Having good luck with privet and even bamboo. Plenty of information on YouTube.
No presently illegal to make for your own use BUT IT IS illegal to transport or sell it after manufacturer.
Advise you to stop the conversation there.

I’m going to try on this one. I added another ring and made them all deeper since that photo. I think I’ll try for a ball shape around the lanyard hole and put some rings down to the tip. I’ve been looking through my Accouterments book for ideas
I might try some food coloring today on one of mine just to see how it looks. Should be no different than dying eggs. Will letcha know how it works out.

Here is my first attempt at dyeing a deer-antler powder measure. I used McCormick's egg-dyeing recipe for "Pretty Purple", which is 15 drops of blue and 5 drops of red in a half cup of boiling water with a teaspoon of vinegar. I guess it looks sorta purplish. I did like how the carved pattern and numbers turned out. Made it much more legible. Will perhaps try other colors later today and post a new thread about dyeing antlers.
IMG_20230203_075005.jpg

Here is my first attempt at dyeing a deer-antler powder measure. I used McCormick's egg-dyeing recipe for "Pretty Purple", which is 15 drops of blue and 5 drops of red in a half cup of boiling water with a teaspoon of vinegar. I guess it looks sorta purplish. I did like how the carved pattern and numbers turned out. Made it much more legible. Will perhaps try other colors later today and post a new thread about dyeing antlers.
View attachment 195277
I like those. Considering making some for myself. Do you put some sort of cap on them so they stay dry?

View attachment 195277
I think you’re on to something there. I like the color.

Back