• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
I actually started this a couple weeks ago before I went on vacation. I'm just starting bout with the leatherworking stuff.
KIMG0202.JPG

Finally hung up my wall hanger- Model 1816 musket. Made in 1834, converted to percussion sometime before the war.View attachment 88246
Lol, I got one of those! It's a relic but pretty much all there. It had a bolster type percussion conversion. That was the most popular contract conversion of flintlocks. They were done Newark NJ of all places
KIMG0156.JPG

it don't take long with a GANG MOLD! you have some rely nice looking balls. so I guess that you went through a load of them at the event?
Yes....the event was a 2 day woods walk event. I loaded up a Lymans GPR and a GP pistol well over 100+ times for shooters to try out. I had a full horn and extra pound of Swiss 3F & used it all. Most of those new shooters has never pulled the trigger on a BP gun at the Pioneer Flats FREE shootout in Franklin, Pennsylvania 2 weeks ago. I finished 4 videos of the event I'll be posting here over the next 2 months.

Had a range day scheduled with another member from here, but the wind here is HOWLING!
So we had a garage day and did some equipment awe-ing, did some casting and compared range kit equipment.
It was a pleasant afternoon, with future plans to get out and do some shooting.

Made a trip to the range today. I brought my Brown Bess to take a few videos of firing with 1Fg as the main charge and 1Fg as the priming powder. Its a little slower as demonstrated with the firing using 3Fg as the priming powder. Should have spent some more time knapping the flint to have enough spark. I did have several failure to fires due to the condition of my flint.

Well, I do have the videos, but the file is too large to be uploaded.

Made a trip to the range today. I brought my Brown Bess to take a few videos of firing with 1Fg as the main charge and 1Fg as the priming powder. Its a little slower as demonstrated with the firing using 3Fg as the priming powder. Should have spent some more time knapping the flint to have enough spark. I did have several failure to fires due to the condition of my flint.

Well, I do have the videos, but the file is too large to be uploaded.

Then put it on Youtube, please. :)

cast some .54 cal 420g maxi balls. shot some .54 cal 420g maxi balls.
first shot rung the gong at 50 yards low on the bottom edge at 7 oclock.
second shot missed. :dunno:
put up a cardboard tell backer.
third shot was 8 inches off the right side at 3 oclock.
checked my peep sight and it was as loose as a goose.
tightened it and the next shot was low at 6 oclock
raised it and the next 5 shots made one big splatter dead center. hawken .54 with 1-28 twist.
85g of my fffg seems to be the sweet spot. has pretty good recoil and barks loud with that load.
think the rifle is a keeper. as soon as i can walk 200 yards i will see what it does at 100 yards.
love it when its something simple to fix!:ghostly:
wife was gone to town today so i hung a rack in our bedroom i can hang my powder horns, shooting bags etc in the house and out of the garage.
better to ask forgiveness than permission!:rolleyes:
blended up some lube for the maxi's. added about 10% by weight of bees wax to Frontiers anti rust and lube blend for slightly stiffer lube. worked great.

think thats is all i have the umph to do today.

Took a small triangular file and put a very shallow groove at 6 o'clock on the nipples of my 3rd model dragoon. This was done to help prevent cap jams.

Yes....the event was a 2 day woods walk event. I loaded up a Lymans GPR and a GP pistol well over 100+ times for shooters to try out. I had a full horn and extra pound of Swiss 3F & used it all. Most of those new shooters has never pulled the trigger on a BP gun at the Pioneer Flats FREE shootout in Franklin, Pennsylvania 2 weeks ago. I finished 4 videos of the event I'll be posting here over the next 2 months.
it is a good thing that you do it!

I was going to put my new Issac Haines gun together yesterday but gave the barrel a swipe with a piece of blue jean and came up with some rust. I need to wait until the barrel stops rusting before assembly, from past experience I know it will, the barrel has been well neutralized.

I didn't like the way the finish came out, way too blotchy. I had an old half filled bottle of Tru-oil so I gave the stock a coat to even things out. Like all old bottles of Tru-oil, the finish was thick and I found out after I applied it that it got to the tacky stage and cured no further, dang.

My shop doors face west, it is like an oven in front of them all day, I put the stock on a lawn chair in front of the shop doors and let it bake. From 9:00am until 4:00pm it cooked in the sun, by 4:00 I could tell the finish had finally hardened, what a relief.

Back