• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing today but yesterday i ran out to my woods range on the north west 40 and rang some steel with the trapper. then I ran back to the tiny cabin I have been living in while i renovate my new digs. my bore butter was frozen solid. had to wait an hour or so for everything to thaw out enough to clean. .. heck I havent even cleaned it in two solid weeks. after I shoot my last shot I reload and then patch the barrel with bore butter and wipe the rest of it clean with the same. shooting every day or every other day so no big deal. Its going to be stupid cold up there in the tiny house tonight. Just about to head up there and start the fire now. this is a shot i took of the place a few weeks ago...
IMG_4198.jpg

nothing today but yesterday i ran out to my woods range on the north west 40 and rang some steel with the trapper. then I ran back to the tiny cabin I have been living in while i renovate my new digs. my bore butter was frozen solid. had to wait an hour or so for everything to thaw out enough to clean. .. heck I havent even cleaned it in two solid weeks. after I shoot my last shot I reload and then patch the barrel with bore butter and wipe the rest of it clean with the same. shooting every day or every other day so no big deal. Its going to be stupid cold up there in the tiny house tonight. Just about to head up there and start the fire now. this is a shot i took of the place a few weeks ago... View attachment 181913
I envy your seclusion.

You're a very fortunate man.

when i got home last night Hugi the cats water had frozen solid... hope to make time to shoot a few rounds today. the crunch is on to get the new digs finished in time to move in before xmass. I am on a real road now which will be culture shock for me but I have a nice back yard with a decent 40 yard shot. the backstop is ok, not great but when i get the chance i will dump some fill to beef it up. I dont feel comfortable just shooting towards woods in the hope that the ball will hit enough trees to stop before it hits a random hunter or forager...

I spent the first day of the Montana Muzzleloader season trying to get close to a head of mule deer camped out in the middle of a winter wheat field. In orange, I stuck out like a sore thumb. After the first 50-60 moved off, I watched the remaining 42 and counted 9 bucks of various size. I was pretty much just scouting the area, looking for the coming and goings in the snow surrounding this field. I’ve got a week to figure it out. It’s private land, and I’m the only one hunting it. It will snow this week, with temps in the teens. I think I’m going to have to resort to my white camo, if I’m going to have any chance of getting within 100 yards.

Attachments

• 241AEA7D-BAD3-4D0B-83F0-92F23F19EE46.jpeg
    241AEA7D-BAD3-4D0B-83F0-92F23F19EE46.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Made a spring for my James Dixon powder flask. The spring has been broken for as long as I remember, the flask belonged to my grandfather and I used to play with it when I was little. Found it the other day in my loft so thought I would try to fix it. Followed the instructions that I found on here (IIRC) and Voila! new spring that works. Now to load it with powder and try it out!

I spent the first day of the Montana Muzzleloader season trying to get close to a head of mule deer camped out in the middle of a winter wheat field. In orange, I stuck out like a sore thumb. After the first 50-60 moved off, I watched the remaining 42 and counted 9 bucks of various size. I was pretty much just scouting the area, looking for the coming and goings in the snow surrounding this field. I’ve got a week to figure it out. It’s private land, and I’m the only one hunting it. It will snow this week, with temps in the teens. I think I’m going to have to resort to my white camo, if I’m going to have any chance of getting within 100 yards.
Keep us all posted! Sounds like a ton of fun!

Finished my Pedersoli 12g SxS kit!
20221210_090202.jpg
20221204_222908.jpg

Stock needed to be chiseled out a little bit to make everything fit better, sanded smooth, and I applied about 15 coats of Tru-oil over the course of a week. While that was happening, I sanded and polished all the metal parts, polished the triggers to smooth them out, and oiled everything well. I'm going to shoot it later today.

you guys who make your guns from scratch impress the heck out of me. I took a quick break from work ing on the digs today to shoot the trapper. 4 out of 5 hits on the 5inch x 6inch steel plate at about 35 yards... It was snowing enough that at that distance there was enough snow between me and the target that the target was hard to see.
IMG_4430.jpg

Stock roughing continues. Both lock panels are close to being finished. I'm seeing some flat spots at the top of the wrist. Don't like that. If I really thin down the lock plate outlines to an 1/8", I can cheat those radii in.

The sub roll of a wrist needs work. 1.450 diameter. Still feels fat. Not "The View" fat, but still chunky. May need to push the comb nose back a tad too. Will wait until I start roughing in the butt stock.

Trade gun butt plate arrived. Now installed. 13-3/4" LOP.

Like eating an elephant.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    750.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    986.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    618.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    982.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    815.3 KB · Views: 0
Stock roughing continues. Both lock panels are close to being finished. I'm seeing some flat spots at the top of the wrist. Don't like that. If I really thin down the lock plate outlines to an 1/8", I can cheat those radii in.

The sub roll of a wrist needs work. 1.450 diameter. Still feels fat. Not "The View" fat, but still chunky. May need to push the comb nose back a tad too. Will wait until I start roughing in the butt stock.

Trade gun butt plate arrived. Now installed. 13-3/4" LOP.

Like eating an elephant.
It’s progress!!

Latest posts

Back