• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to get comfortable with the new Jaeger. I told my son we were still “dating”, lol. It’s been loaded for a few days and I wanted to empty it. My son wanted to shoot the Lyman 50 GPR caplock. That makes me happy because it’s been a few years since he shot it.
I have this chicken silhouette that’s mounted to a spring on an old wheel. We placed it at 75 yards. I fired one shot just like if I was hunting. It was from a rest but not sandbags. The shot in the middle is the .62. It hit about an inch left of where I was aiming.
My son hit the leg twice with the GPR. I asked where he was aiming. He said, “at the bottom of the body.” Uhm, ok - that’s about where you hit buddy.
I’m beginning to trust the flintlock. I’m getting accustomed to that big ‘ol lock moving when the trigger breaks. I think in time we’ll be good together.
9A5B7436-6D92-442D-AD1D-812402064D43.jpeg

Over the last couple of days, I drilled out a busted nipple on an 1861 Tower Enfield musket. Once I got that old nipple out, I chased the threads and installed a new nipple. Today, I glued the cracked stock and have it drying in my bench vise.

Hunted some Eastern Washington farmland with my new (to me) Pedersoli 12 SXS today. Loaded with an ounce of #5 bismuth over 100 grains of Goex FFF. Hit the first bird - a valley quail (can't bring myself to say California Quail) and after a LONG hike finally flushed a big rooster. He banked into the wind. I could tell my first shot was a little behind him.... I pulled the trigger again.... Nothing. It was then that I remembered I was shooting my two-triggered SXS instead of a single-trigger unmentionable! Oh well - it was a great day to be in the field with my son (he hit the only rooster he shot at) and his dog!

While not today technically speaking.... yesterday I fired off my Hawken to unload and clean it. Loaded it up with good ol 2F black two weeks ago Saturday for our early ML season. Didn't get around to firing that load off till yesterday. Went off with ignition as instant as a human being can perceive. Sure is nice to have black powder on hand again!!!

drizzly day, cool no wind, getting my 50 cals out and cleaning up the bore. powder out ,time to go to the range. I'll have it by myself because the ar crowd ( I have 3) don't like the weather 🤔. I like cause the smoke hangs in the air ,wish they made pine trees in that aroma 👍

I have been sight blind for the last 6 or 7 years, I got new eyes in the last month or so (cataract surgery), I have never been able to sight in these two rifles properly until now. The TC was built from parts and a new GM barrel in .54, I didn't notice until a few days ago that the stock had some curl in it.

The other rifle is my pre-carve from hell rifle with a Bobby Hoyt barrel re-bore from .50 to .54. This kit rifle has the rear sight way too far back for old eyes to see, I could put balls on paper but not group them. Things should be different now.

I live in a subdivision with 200 acres of thick woods joining my place, my nearest neighbor is 200 yards away but I still have to be considerate of them when I shoot. If I come out to shoot and can see any neighbors out in the yard on my street, I put my guns up until another day, so it was this weekend.

Looks like the sun will be back out on Tuesday, rain yesterday and today.

I thought I cut the bows out of the picture; surgical complications kept me from bow hunting for the last 3 years, this year is different. I have been tuning my bows to shoot broadhead tipped arrows, one is my trusty static tipped osage bow and the other is black hunter longbow.

ready to test.JPG

I have been sight blind for the last 6 or 7 years, I got new eyes in the last month or so (cataract surgery), I have never been able to sight in these two rifles properly until now. The TC was built from parts and a new GM barrel in .54, I didn't notice until a few days ago that the stock had some curl in it.

The other rifle is my pre-carve from hell rifle with a Bobby Hoyt barrel re-bore from .50 to .54. This kit rifle has the rear sight way too far back for old eyes to see, I could put balls on paper but not group them. Things should be different now.

I live in a subdivision with 200 acres of thick woods joining my place, my nearest neighbor is 200 yards away but I still have to be considerate of them when I shoot. If I come out to shoot and can see any neighbors out in the yard on my street, I put my guns up until another day, so it was this weekend.

Looks like the sun will be back out on Tuesday, rain yesterday and today.

I thought I cut the bows out of the picture; surgical complications kept me from bow hunting for the last 3 years, this year is different. I have been tuning my bows to shoot broadhead tipped arrows, one is my trusty static tipped osage bow and the other is black hunter longbow.

View attachment 171829
Some day, a nice flinter might find it's way into my gun vault.... some day.. sigh.

I understand completely. My 'local' stores are 35 and 80 miles respectively. Fortunately my job runs me between both towns a couple times a week, so what would be a special trip to town for anyone else is just the KC or Emporia run for me.
Ditto!!! My only sources for for flinter supplies here in SoCal is online. Except for holy black which is a 200+ mile RT gamble. I have a trucker friend who sources my supplies for me. For BP and unmentionables.

thank
Thats pretty sweet. Congratulation!
thank you, sir, i still have to fine tune some finish, but it is ready to fire!
this build was fun for the most part. has some nice parts, and the plank was nice.
barrel is a Rice Dolep oct to wedding ring to round 32 inches long
lock is a Kibler colonial round face.
trigger is a Davis.
finish is aqua fortice with minwax colonial maple stain under 6 coats of birchwood casey tru-oil.
i made the usual goofs when drilling the pins for the barrel and rammer thimbles but have hidden them pretty well. i consider this a 4 foot gun. from 4 feet away it is beautiful!:D

thank

thank you, sir, i still have to fine tune some finish, but it is ready to fire!
this build was fun for the most part. has some nice parts, and the plank was nice.
barrel is a Rice Dolep oct to wedding ring to round 32 inches long
lock is a Kibler colonial round face.
trigger is a Davis.
finish is aqua fortice with minwax colonial maple stain under 6 coats of birchwood casey tru-oil.
i made the usual goofs when drilling the pins for the barrel and rammer thimbles but have hidden them pretty well. i consider this a 4 foot gun. from 4 feet away it is beautiful!:D
I'm currently in the thimble struggle myself after splintering the wood on one side of my first one. I can't drill a straight hole to save my life these days. I may just bypass the small pins and use 20-penny nails.

Today? Cast .495 balls.
I had depleted my supply on Saturday, as point man for a Scout merit badge shoot. Gave out rations of 250 balls (.495, .490, .530), 12,500 grains of powder (the scout plan only has them shooting at 50 feet and 25 yards) , lots of patches and patching material. We hosted ten scouts. With their parents / scoutmasters, it made quite a crowd. Promoting and preserving the sport of muzzle loading is the club's written purpose, and we are doing it.

Back