• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried pouring pewter in a gun stock project. Mixed results.... I will need to repour one spot.

Attachments

• 20221026_180105.jpg
    20221026_180105.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221026_180114.jpg
    20221026_180114.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221026_180121.jpg
    20221026_180121.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 0
Being a Black Powder New-B, today I tried testing out my T/C Replica Hawkins .45 cal Flintlock for my very first time shooting a Flintlock. From reading past posts about the do's and don'ts I figured it was time on trying her out. I only had 2F BP and figured not loading a ball this time yet, just used 50 grains and doubled up on some wadding instead in case it would not fire. I do have a large grassy berm in the back yard with plenty of woods behind it all so its safe shooting. It was louder than I expected, and no doubt got me further hooked into BP shooting!! Just did 2 blank shots then cleaned her up and called it a day, until I hit the range for some loaded up rounds. Had to of course video it, in slow motion. Just love it!
The look on your face after you shoot it is great. Enjoy.

I tried pouring pewter in a gun stock project. Mixed results.... I will need to repour one spot.
So what was the problem with the one you have to re-pour? Not enough pewter or something else. The reason I ask is I am interested in pouring a pewter nose cap for a rifle, but don't know anything about pouring pewter.

I took my 50 cal Lancaster and the chronograph to the range yesterday. I was pleased with the muzzle velocity using Schutzen FFFg. Results below are average of 3 shot groups using .495 round ball, .020 pillow ticking patch and Track's mink oil lube.

62 gr = 1460 fps
72 gr = 1579 fps
97 gr = 1858 fps

My wife finally found me some caps today, so she bought the limit at Bass Pro. She had to ask for them because they stopped advertising them on their website and keep them in a safe behind the counter.
My local Dunhams and Scheels have both #11 and #10's in quantity, both stores $10.99/tin. CCI and Remington. I make a point to stop in every few days and grab 2-3 tins.

My local Dunhams and Scheels have both #11 and #10's in quantity, both stores $10.99/tin. CCI and Remington. I make a point to stop in every few days and grab 2-3 tins.
I think my wife paid $13.99 for the #10s and $14.99 for the #11s, but our nearest big sporting goods store is 50 miles away, so it doesn't pay us to make a special trip to look or even buy ammo stuff. We check when we have to be in the area for doctor visits and major shopping.

I think my wife paid $13.99 for the #10s and $14.99 for the #11s, but our nearest big sporting goods store is 50 miles away, so it doesn't pay us to make a special trip to look or even buy ammo stuff. We check when we have to be in the area for doctor visits and major shopping.
I understand completely. My 'local' stores are 35 and 80 miles respectively. Fortunately my job runs me between both towns a couple times a week, so what would be a special trip to town for anyone else is just the KC or Emporia run for me.

Back