• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned up checked over my possibles bag, powder horn and horn measure while getting ready for the Georgia State Championship Muzzleloaders meet at Brushy Creek Club in Lenox, Ga. Looking forward to seeing my old friends!

Attachments

• F1CA4103-2126-4B59-8C91-E62C2D10F24E.jpeg
    F1CA4103-2126-4B59-8C91-E62C2D10F24E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
a day late as usual. yesterday I did more shaping on my fowler.
inspected my rifles to make sure i had cleaned everything. found some alien looking stuff growing out the vent onto the pan on my TC Hawken .45.
went all Luke Skywalker on it and saved the galaxy. switched it out while i had it off the stock and put my GM .50 on for hunting bear this evening. shot 8 rounds of Hornady 385 plains bullets on top of 65g fffg. got a 3.5 inch group at 50 yards. happy with that being i can hardly see 50 yards anymore!
have to go into town today so will get my tags and scare some bears. guided a couple kids yesterday to 4 bears and they got one. it was very small but its teeth were worn almost to the gums. make a nice rug.

Attachments

• 20220919_183029.jpg
    20220919_183029.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I bought a GM drop in for my TC Hawken, it had steel ramrod pipes, my gun being brass I decided to change them to brass. My gunsmith friend has a pile of TC parts and had a couple of extra TC brass pipes. Of course, while I was inserting the screw into the brass pipe I fumbled with the pipe and dropped the pipe and screw it on my shop floor, the screw disappeared. I searched the floor with a roofing tack magnet out to 10 ft from where I dropped the pipe and turned up nothing. I have a little bag of TC sight parts and various screws in the house and just happened to have 2 ramrod pipe screws in the bag, the brass pipes look good.

I bought a GM drop in for my TC Hawken, it had steel ramrod pipes, my gun being brass I decided to change them to brass. My gunsmith friend has a pile of TC parts and had a couple of extra TC brass pipes. Of course, while I was inserting the screw into the brass pipe I fumbled with the pipe and dropped the pipe and screw it on my shop floor, the screw disappeared. I searched the floor with a roofing tack magnet out to 10 ft from where I dropped the pipe and turned up nothing. I have a little bag of TC sight parts and various screws in the house and just happened to have 2 ramrod pipe screws in the bag, the brass pipes look good.
check your pant cuffs and treads of your shoes. don't ask!
Went bear hunting this afternoon. Took my TC .50 Flinter. You know, the one i brag about every chance i get, about how reliable it is?
sat and watched a bear of about 125-130 lb wandering around for about 40 minutes at 20-25 yards. finally he gave me a perfect side shot.
Klatch! he swapped ends and walked 5 feet.
Klatch! he walked another 5 feet.
Klatch! i think he must be over the mountain now the way he scooted out of there.
he was raiding my neighbors chicken yard and was totally oblivious to my presence.
i'll never brag on a gun again. i would almost bet i could take that TC out in the yard and it would fire right off!
Tomorrow is another day!

38 shots from my .32 cal. TVA Tennessee caplock today. All total about 200 shots through this gun so far. A couple weeks sgo, after settling on a load, I filed in elevation just a hair lower than I want, windage seems dead on from the maker. She's got more panache than the Crockett rifle I sold a couple years back but so far I haven't been able to get as tight a grouping as the Traditions gun. I'm not unhappy with the groups I'm getting it's just the Crockett did group tighter. Then, I spent more time with the Crockett and my eyes are 6 years older, that darn ball of yarn.

Went bear hunting this afternoon. Took my TC .50 Flinter. You know, the one i brag about every chance i get, about how reliable it is?
sat and watched a bear of about 125-130 lb wandering around for about 40 minutes at 20-25 yards. finally he gave me a perfect side shot.
Klatch! i think he must be over the mountain now the way he scooted out of there.
he was raiding my neighbors chicken yard and was totally oblivious to my presence.
i'll never brag on a gun again. i would almost bet i could take that TC out in the yard and it would fire right off!
Tomorrow is another day!
Hmmmm? Must be God's pet bear :rolleyes: :horseback: I know, I know ... terrible. Dale

you may be right Dale!
i had to take a refrigerator to my sister in town this morning. that bear was all over the cameras.
i get home and he is nowhere to be seen. eating supper. bet he is down there dancing for the cameras.
i will go down and sit for an hour in the drizzle. he won't be there!

Last edited:
Not sure if what I did would actually fit the thread topic. I do shoot BP 100% and have done lots of living history and now in my "golden Years" own a nice piece of woods behind my home. Over the summer I built a 3-sided cabin and am in the process of "furnishing" it with period style things. Thus I proceeded to build a rope bed. Interesting project. Learned a lot. Started with 2 X 4s, real 2 X 4s cut by a local mill, then, after drilling a bunch of 11/16" holes, proceeded to lace 5/8" hemp rope in the fashion of original beds. I also learned via the internet that making the rope tight was the key to "Sleeping tight" as the saying goes. The tool seen is the ticket for tightening the rope.
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

I then hinged the bed to a wall of the cabin, added a leg and a few supports and now am ready to find a feather tick (good luck on that) or a straw tick for comfort. I guess getting old has it perks. And hopefully this bed can eliminate sleeping on the ground in the wedge tent. Now to prevent the "bed bugs".
IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Not sure if what I did would actually fit the thread topic. I do shoot BP 100% and have done lots of living history and now in my "golden Years" own a nice piece of woods behind my home. Over the summer I built a 3-sided cabin and am in the process of "furnishing" it with period style things. Thus I proceeded to build a rope bed. Interesting project. Learned a lot. Started with 2 X 4s, real 2 X 4s cut by a local mill, then, after drilling a bunch of 11/16" holes, proceeded to lace 5/8" hemp rope in the fashion of original beds. I also learned via the internet that making the rope tight was the key to "Sleeping tight" as the saying goes. The tool seen is the ticket for tightening the rope.
View attachment 163936
View attachment 163937
I then hinged the bed to a wall of the cabin, added a leg and a few supports and now am ready to find a feather tick (good luck on that) or a straw tick for comfort. I guess getting old has it perks. And hopefully this bed can eliminate sleeping on the ground in the wedge tent. Now to prevent the "bed bugs".
View attachment 163938
View attachment 163939
Nice Job! I remember feather ticks.

Worked on the lock on my Harper's Ferry for the up coming season had some success but not finished yet. The frizzen doesn't want to flip all the way open. Need to get that taken care of.

I went out and patterned 8 different powder/wad combinations in my shotgun. I brought the targets home. Homework is counting all the holes… I’ll report when the tedium is concluded.

Tomorrow is another day!
Sometimes ya gets the bear and sometimes the bear gets you, stick with it it will happen.

My brother-in-law just moved to Kentucky from Oregon. I have him gearing up for black powder hunting with me. Let him shoot my traditions Kentucky long rifle 50 Cal, my brothers Jonathan Browning Mt Rifle 50 cal and my TC New Englander 50 cal. He felt most comfortable with the new Englander. He also shot the best with it. I had been contemplating parting with that one so he bought it! We set him up from a local outdoor shop with balls, powder, and a few accessories. Now he has to decide on a powder container, powder measure and shooting bag style! He has several elk hides from kills in Oregon that he’s been holding onto. So I have been asked to make him a shooting bag!! I promptly reinvested the money from the New England in a Lemans Great plains 50 cal! The New Englander was my back up gun for when one of my boys is hunting with me. So it needed replaced!;-) soon the fun will begin of trying new powder loads and ball combinations! Excited to see how the new gun shoots!!

Latest posts

Back