• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks SCIAggie, It still lets you know when it goes off! I like it.
20220115_054301.jpg

HH

Shot about 30 rounds through my new Colonial 50 Cal Flinter. Still trying to work up a good ball/patch combination and am getting shredded patches. Likely need to do some bore smoothing to get rid of sharp edges on the lands. A little disappointing since it is a Green Mountain barrel.

shot my whatzit .29 cal flinter. dismal results. need to do some serious tuning .
shaped the side plate cheek on my fowler.
made a couple ramrods, promptly broke the tip off one trying to do a little straightening. no sweat, just drill out the wood in the tip socket.
drilled through the side wall of the tip while thinking about something else and not paying attention. no sweat
replacement tips in the drawer. nope, no 5/16's. i gave up. somedays you are the dog and some days you are the hydrant!

I sent 120 pounds to Westley Richards for a detailed run down on my 14ga. SxS made between 1825 and 1835. Will be interesting who ordered the shotgun and where it was sent. To bad the barrel wasn't taken better care of as it's Damacus and not a twist, nice wood and the locks still work perfectly.

shot my whatzit .29 cal flinter. dismal results. need to do some serious tuning .
shaped the side plate cheek on my fowler.
made a couple ramrods, promptly broke the tip off one trying to do a little straightening. no sweat, just drill out the wood in the tip socket.
drilled through the side wall of the tip while thinking about something else and not paying attention. no sweat
replacement tips in the drawer. nope, no 5/16's. i gave up. somedays you are the dog and some days you are the hydrant!
My question is - How do I ever get to be the dog??

Got my Great Plains pistol wedge and a hot shot stainless nipple from track of the wolf. I will have to hammer the wedge holder thing a little so I don't lose this one. Didn't necessarily need a new nipple bit wanted to try this one. It is slightly longer but the hammer looks to strike centered. The pistol is .54 cal I like to shoot 35 grain 777 and it prefers .535 rb . I do also shoot for black as well just have a bunch of 777 which is way hotter than they tell you

Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
Run all over town looking for #11 caps, finally found some. Bought 4 tins and a bottle of RS powder. Can’t find actual blackpowder around here right now.

Got my Great Plains pistol wedge and a hot shot stainless nipple from track of the wolf. I will have to hammer the wedge holder thing a little so I don't lose this one. Didn't necessarily need a new nipple bit wanted to try this one. It is slightly longer but the hammer looks to strike centered. The pistol is .54 cal I like to shoot 35 grain 777 and it prefers .535 rb . I do also shoot for black as well just have a bunch of 777 which is way hotter than they tell you
cut a slot in the wedge, drill a 1/16 inch hole through the 45degree flat on the wedge head side of the barrel channel and drive a short nail through the slot.
never lose a wedge again

today i shot my whatzit 29 cal again with different patch and lube. still dismal.
cleaned the whatzit.
cleaned off the work top of my garage bench. at least 8 feet of it. found stuff i have been missing for 2 months. reported same to the wife. she was beside her self with glee at my good fortune. ok so she only yawned, but that is a sure sign she was gleeful!
broke the tip off another RR. think i will go with steel. brown it and it should look alright.
knapped the flint on my whatzit.
that is all.

Cool! What is it and when will we see a video with it?
It is a cool looking Ky long rifle with a 42" Green Mountain barrel, Siler lock, & Davis triggers.
I've had it for month now & shot it maybe 20 times so far.
I need a cleaning rod because all of mine were too short.
Finally picked up a long enough rod at Friendship last week.
Now it time start wearing this one out.
I haven't decided whether I'll use it in video or not yet.

Latest posts

Back