• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poured more RB's today.
These drawers are getting well stocked again!
They are 2' deep and index card wide.
The top drawer has .480's 2" deep in it.
I poured 300+ of those .490's too.

305435015_1399414183881741_5729745824318033455_n.jpg

Cleaned up and installed the trigger guard on this .45 pistol. Eight tedious hours... my least favorite part of any gun build.
It came out alright. Lots of stock work to do now.
i would rather spend 8 hours hunched over a stock with a pile of rasp dust and scraper shavings piling up to my knees than to work a brass fitting from sandcast to polished in 3-4 hours. seems like it takes me weeks of effort to polish the metal on a build.
today i sat hunched over a stock for 8 hours..................
then i polished a Haddawy lock. :doh:

^I know the feeling. I quite keeping track of the time I spend getting all of the cast parts finished. At least I have baseball games to listen to some of the time.

I've been making paper cartridges for the Pritchett style bullets, for my 1853 Enfield. Just finished firing some clay base plugs for the first time, to try in the .550 Boxer bullets.

Attachments

• DSC03920.JPG
    DSC03920.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03922.JPG
    DSC03922.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Went shooting yesterday, up in the mountains…very beautiful range. I got to talking to the guy next to me, real nice genuine person.

Turns out, this guys wife used to be part owner of “International BlackPowder Hunting”; they published a quarterly magazine called BlackPowder Hunting. I subscribed to that publication, and then it just disappeared…blamo gone.

Tomorrow, my wife and I are going to their house. They still have boxes of those old magazines, I’ve been trying to find back issues of that magazine for years. I talked to the wife today, she said that they’ve gotten rid of a lot of their old inventory, but they still have some.

Seem like real nice people.

Went shooting yesterday, up in the mountains…very beautiful range. I got to talking to the guy next to me, real nice genuine person.

Turns out, this guys wife used to be part owner of “International BlackPowder Hunting”; they published a quarterly magazine called BlackPowder Hunting. I subscribed to that publication, and then it just disappeared…blamo gone.

Tomorrow, my wife and I are going to their house. They still have boxes of those old magazines, I’ve been trying to find back issues of that magazine for years. I talked to the wife today, she said that they’ve gotten rid of a lot of their old inventory, but they still have some.

Seem like real nice people.
I loved that magazine. It was well produced and had very good content. I was sorry to see it go.

I loved that magazine. It was well produced and had very good content. I was sorry to see it go.
Apparently they sold the company to a guy, that ran it for 3 months…then just quit and gave up. They published quarterly…so he ran it for one single publication run…and called it quits.

I really missed that publication. Looking forward to some fun conversations tomorrow.

put the .45 barrel on my TC Hawken flinter. shot some of the 200 balls i cast yesterday. was having so much fun before i knew it i had shot 50 rounds! man that Thompson barrel shoots nice. normally the Hawken wears a .50 green mountain barrel. this .45 likes 50g fffg.
made some patches from a canvas type material that mic'd at .0225 before i washed it. came out .018 after drying. it is a light gerrn color.
i shoot over grass. green grass. i only found 1 patch out of the 50! maybe i need glasses.

Today, September 08, 2022, pigs must be flying and hell has frozen over. I found #10 Remington percussion caps at the Boise Cabela's store. I have used them before and they are reliable. I didn't have the heart to buy them all, I bought half of them. 😈 (There really weren't that many to begin with).

I finished the handle on a belt axe that was forged by Mike Brown. Iron of nitrate, tung oil, rubbed beeswax. Ash handle

Attachments

• D69DB80D-1A5A-4CD3-B530-CD68B18436A3.jpeg
    D69DB80D-1A5A-4CD3-B530-CD68B18436A3.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • C1479D2E-DFB9-4F49-8D8F-3192222163F9.jpeg
    C1479D2E-DFB9-4F49-8D8F-3192222163F9.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Small PVC tubing at 6" and 10" lengths also makes great range relaoding tubes
for both round ball and full sized lubed lead projectiles. You can reuse them like crazy
saving your paper cartridges for re-enactments and field hunting. You can make end plugs
and cover them with leather for an almost perfect period correct speed loader.
Cigar tubes in teak wood also make great speedloader and you can gently increase the
inside diameter to accomodate your bullet size.

Back