• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I detailed stripped my 1992-vintage Uberti 1851 Navy. I bought it new at Dixon's. This was the first time I've done so and while there was quite a bit of oil-saturated sludge there was no corrosion.

However, I discovered that the screw that secures the bolt spring was cross-threaded at the factory. I was able to chase the threads in the frame but the screw is toast. I sent an email to VTI Gun Parts to check stock on their set of properly hardened screws and will wait until I get them to reassemble the gun.

What a pain in the neck.

I made myself a pan brush and flash hole pick from a piece of an old deer antler I had laying around. I don't really know if either is suitable since I'm brand new to flintlocks, but the pick fits in a flash hole liner and the bristles on the brush are fairly stiff so hopefully they will serve their purpose. I still need to make me a knapping tool.

Attachments

• flintlock tools 2.jpg
    flintlock tools 2.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 0
I made myself a pan brush and flash hole pick from a piece of an old deer antler I had laying around. I don't really know if either is suitable since I'm brand new to flintlocks, but the pick fits in a flash hole liner and the bristles on the brush are fairly stiff so hopefully they will serve their purpose. I still need to make me a knapping tool.
Those look great to me.

Get a piece of 1/4" brass rod about 2-3 inches long and file a little step about 1/8" from one end about 1/16" deep or so.

When your flint gets dull put the step on the top of the flint while still in the gun (pointed in a safe direction) and give it a little tap and you will take off a little flake. Keep it up till its sharp all across the flint, easy peasy.

Those look great to me.

Get a piece of 1/4" brass rod about 2-3 inches long and file a little step about 1/8" from one end about 1/16" deep or so.

When your flint gets dull put the step on the top of the flint while still in the gun (pointed in a safe direction) and give it a little tap and you will take off a little flake. Keep it up till its sharp all across the flint, easy peasy.
Thanks for the advice. I think my local hardware store carries small brass rod, so I'll pick a piece up the next time I go to town.

Those look great to me.

I had some 3/8" brass rod I forgot about. Is this about what you're talking about?

Attachments

• flintlock tools 3.jpg
    flintlock tools 3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
  • flintlock tools 4.jpg
    flintlock tools 4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
I had some 3/8" brass rod I forgot about. Is this about what you're talking about?
I think you made too deep a ledge in your rod - might be breaking flints with that and stressing the lock internals. I would make the ledge only 0.010~0.015” deep - will take much smaller flakes off the edge with less jarring of the internal parts of the lock.

I think you made too deep a ledge in your rod - might be breaking flints with that and stressing the lock internals. I would make the ledge only 0.010~0.015” deep - will take much smaller flakes off the edge with less jarring of the internal parts of the lock.
Do both sides need redone or just the deepest side and thanks for the feedback?

Latest posts

Back