• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dusty_Traveler I admire your ingenuity. The only thing I’d do differently is change the angle it’s hanging at to have the top tilted forward. With the top leaning backwards it makes a ramp for the round to skip upward.

It Has Arrived

0200B451-60FC-439F-BCCB-B04AD3FB1AF9.jpeg

My Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle arrived.

C68C0BF9-6B25-4DEE-A91C-40E6CAFE6B1C.jpeg

The amount of curl in the stock is amazing. I have literally never seen or even held a stock with so much curl.

D95E02D4-2A2A-4242-841A-B579BA5666DA.jpeg

There is curl every 1/4” to 3/8”, from buttplate to muzzle.

This wood is so beautiful…I’m now terrified to touch it.

Wow, Kibler has exceeded my expectations.

Colorado is spectacular in places too. spent some time in your neck of the prairie some years back. you know i was just funning.
that is going to be one rifle anyone could be proud of. someday soon i am going to have to give up plank builds and let Jim Kibler do the work for me.
I follow your posts, I get and appreciate your humor…I’m trying to figure out how to do a honey brown finish, close to what you stated. Kinda shocked me actually…

today i just about finished inletting the dolep fowler barrel. about 1/32 left to go dropping the tang. right now my arm wants to beat me about the head for abusing it. think i need to spend the rest of the day sharpening tools.
did i mention that this plank puts the rock in rock hard?

I follow your posts, I get and appreciate your humor…I’m trying to figure out how to do a honey brown finish, close to what you stated. Kinda shocked me actually…
humor is about all i have left! :ghostly: certainly don't have good looks anymore!(if ever:))
Jim Kibler has a video of staining with different hues. i think he uses a golden honey stain from Laurel Mountain for a over stain on AF, then a darker top. gives that radiant gold with the darker end grains. the Dolep fowler i am building is asking for that finish. even as a rough plank it shows great potential to be what we are imagining. have tested some cutoff's with AF and it really has some nice curl and shows up well with a coat of truoil.

Today and last few days. Got a jackdor son found it on allotment , nice to save her from foxes. Have a nice cage but the door always open. Made a harness and lead and we can both go down the garden loves grapes an Musily drinks water so she’s fit and well but can only fly a yard or too she’s free to go once she can fly. But they usually hand around as they love humans very hot in Uk. Scrubbing out 15ft dia pool just bought new pressure washer

She’s tied up on patio and gone into cool undergrowth. She seems happy
Last night jackdaw came to Joan to say goodbye then walked into hall and dropped down dead. Poor little thing. She was eating very well and running around. Took to climbing stairs and then flying down. Must admit I shed a few tears. Found a nice spot and buried her. I do get attached to animals. But now we can have the patio doors open. It’s stinking hot. And as to previous comments on my little green pool. It’s ain’t no longer green

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
I got my set of Lyman .440 mould blocks to replace the Lee aluminum ones. The sprue hole on the Lee blocks was getting warbled out of round and left a funky looking, off sprue on the balls. I tested out the new ones and man, what a difference! My reject rate went way down and the sprue is nice and round and centered. I didn't get time to do any shooting yet, so I don't know if there will be any improvement in accuracy, but it sure can't hurt. I love those Lyman moulds! I have some that are 60+ years old and still look like new. In fact the handles in the picture are 60+!
IMG_0892.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg

Sitting on the deck, sipping coffee, covered in sawdust…beginning work on my .40 calibre Kibler.

I cannot believe how fine, and “barely there”, the wood is on this stock. The curl is definitely beautiful, but once you get past the forestock, where your hand goes….the amount of wood is minimal. There’s enough wood to comfortably hold the ramrod and the pipes.

Been a Happy Morning.

Took every book in my library to the trash dump! Storm messed up my roof and let water fall on my books. Ruined all of them. I was upset as there were three books I had't colored in yet. LOL!
I’ve spent a lifetime collecting my library of books, on various topics. That would be heartbreaking…I’m very sorry for what happened…incredible.

I've been catching up on with what's been going on the forum. I've been away from the computer for about week recovering from heart surgery. I'm not to lift over 5 lbs. for a month, this will limit my shop time, so I will be spending more time on the ML forum

Latest posts

Back