• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What muzzleloader could this barrel be used for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked this up cheap at a estate sale and was wondering what type of gun this barrel would be correct for and if anyone can tell the maker?

Trade gun?

32" Overall length....12" hex 20" round
.62 cal smooth

selztf.jpg

311ooxw.jpg

105v5ow.jpg

23wr0xc.jpg

207ud6b.jpg

Nice looking barrel.
That looks similar to a piece in the Tippecanoe battle field museum. There were a few there on display made by Bixler & Iddings of Lafayette; that may be one of them.

Hello ToothpicJim,
It looks like you have the makings for a very nice percussion fowler.
Although 32" could be considered to be too short, but for the modern day shooter, 32" should be great.
It is difficult to say whether it is a modern day manufacture or one of many years ago.
Looking at your pictures again, the cutting from the larger flat to finer octagon( 16 sided ) definitely seems to be done on a lathe, which would make it to be of modern day, also the wedding band also seems to be cut with a rotary motion which = a lathe cut, which = a lathe.
Look closely to see if there are any markings.
If you don't build something with it, send me a message, I would like to try.
Best regards!
Fred

ToothPick Jim said:
Thanks for the response.

Any chance that you have a picture showing the entire gun?

Thanks

Sorry Jim. That's the best I got.
But I might be right by the museum come Monday.

I'm not trying to start any trouble, but if it were me, I would re-breech it and make a fullstock flintlock. Just because it has a patent breech doesn't mean it has to remain that way. Otherwise, dripbar percussion halfstock.

By 1850, gun makers realized that shotgun barrels had optimum lengths for shot patterns and that longer barrels were a waste of iron. So most shotgun barrels of the second half of the 19th century were shorter. A 32 inch was still a bit longer than most. Some made them longer into the ealy 1900's, but mostly Belgian muzzle loaders.

Although, I had a cartridge shotgun (Ivers Johnson) with a special 32 inch full choke barrel. We had a shotgun patterning day at the club. I patterned that gun and the pattern was much tighter at 25 yards than any one else's gun out of about 20 guys there. Before steel shot requirements, I could reach out and kill some geese that even the guide thought were out of range.

Back