• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What musket nipple for a Thompson Center Silver Elite?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
With the cap shortage and fears a #11 isn't "enough," what Track of the Wolf thread size do I need to get a musket cap replacement nipple to fit a TC Silver Elite?

THANKS!

In my T/C Hawken, the threads for the nipple are 1/4 - 28. I do use a Hot Shot nipple with #11 CCI caps. I don't see the need for the extra expense of a musket cap for little to no improvement in performance. Better off with #11 Magnum caps. There's a little more priming compound.

IMHO, if you expect to shoot for the foreseeable future, find a distributor that has them (#11's), pay the Hazmat fee and buy a case of them. You can always sell them to friends and other local shooters.

I am guessing that your rifle uses a 1/4 x 28 thread. A Thread Check'r from Brownell's is a good investment.

Midway USA has genuine T/C nipples for sale: T/C 1/4 x 28 Musket Cap Nipple

2020-07-16.png

Midway has a few in stock, and they are actually on sale right now. Not cheap, but if you really think you'll be using these it might be worth it to get two. I kind of get the feeling T/C may have discontinued them, and they may be difficult to obtain in the future.

I don't know if Track of the Wolf has anything comparable. If they do, its probably cheaper than the T/C nipple from Midway.

I don't see anything wrong with trying musket caps as an option, as you propose, although Grenadier's recommendation for CCI #11 Magnum caps was spot on. Those should provide the extra "heat" that you want, if you can find them. The #11 caps are in short supply right now, while a lot of dealers still have musket caps in stock. It pays to shop around. As centershot suggested, I think it's smart to buy caps by the case, once you know what you want.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

That and I am not sure the recess in the nose of the T/C hammer is large enough to clear a musket cap and properly detonate the cap.
A valid concern. I think the T/C hammer nose is large enough, provided it is centered on the nipple. This may vary some, from one gun to the next. That would be something for the OP to check before he invests heavily in musket caps and nipples.

Notchy Bob

i went with the treso 1/4x28 nipples the hole on the bottom is alot smaller. i bought 2,000 1081 rws musket caps from graf and sons they work great

I use both. Musket caps are much easier to handle. #11 can be difficult to manipulate. RWS musket caps do give surer ignition that even CCI magnums. For a hunting rifle I definitely would use musket caps. For target shooting I use a capper.

Back