Quantcast

What modern shoe?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For a fur trade impression? 1810-1820ish?

Just getting started in this and want to be able to show up at an event not too F’ed up. I figure I will find what works for me after visiting with some traders and trying things on .

What will get me by to start?

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I've gotten by a few times with suede desert (chukka) boots dyed black. They resemble Jefferson Bootees (circa 1800 and later) or brogans and if your trousers cover part of them it helps. Cheap ones work and the gum soles will take black dye though it will take 2 or more applications. Replace the laces with rawhide ones dyed black and remove the metal eyelets if they have them and you have the time. I have had some fairly major foot issues in the past 10 or so years and can no longer wear my Jarnagin brogans but I had a pair of Cabela's desert boots that fit well so I dyed them and to date only one person has noticed.

I went through a couple or more pair of cheap chukkas when I first got into skirmishing. I could buy them for about $10 at the local cheap shoe store. They didn't last long but they did what was needed till I could save up enough for a good pair of brogans.

Last edited:

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For a fur trade impression? 1810-1820ish?

Just getting started in this and want to be able to show up at an event not too F’ed up. I figure I will find what works for me after visiting with some traders and trying things on .

By "F'ed up" you of course mean "Farbed up", yes?

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy Crow has Jefferson booties and high lows or half boot about the same price as a Chaka boots. Order a size too big and you can put soft inner soles in for comfort.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
this is what i just bought. fit into my budget. they are not bad for comfort but are not something i would want to put on new and walk too far in, they need to be broke in. i bought a 1/2 size bigger but only a thin insole fits into them. i think they are good for the price, seam to be solid enough for what i need. i didnt like the light brown so i dyed them dark brown then greased them. black may have been a better choice?
i should also mention that you will have to buy new laces as the ones in the boots are crap. i bought 72' leather laces and had to cut about 7"off each one.

the supplier says shipped from USA but they came from Pakistan, about a week.

OU
tom

Attachments

Last edited:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We see mostly black in old paintings. In the south during the recent unpleasantness the southern soldiers were given brown shoes, that they called ‘slave shoes’. My hi lows are light brown but I’ve not seen that in paintings. I have seen dark grey but can’t tell if it’s worn black or dirty tan.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
all my clothes are working class. i just couldn't handle the light brown so dyed with the dark brown color i had from my shot pouch,it may or may not have been done in the 18th century, don't know?

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As long as they don't have the corrugated soles, leather wellington style boots work extremely well for that period as the trousers cover the tops. Some folks my already have a pair.

For years, I wore my old Marine Corps Issue Dress shoes under 18th century military overalls or gaiters or under 19th century trousers. Back in the 70's and early 80's, they still had leather soles, were issued as plain black leather tops and NO grommets in the holes. I used to get the shoe sizes for reenactors and buy them at cash sales. The modern versions have composite soles but don't look bad until/unless you raise the bottoms of them. Oh, you punch larger holes for leather lacing.

Some plain leather, round toed "cowboy" boots also work for the period when they don't have too high of heels and worn under trousers, especially the ones with smooth leather soles.

Now I know this sounds a bit off, but we used to haunt Goodwill type stores for shoes/boots that could be used during the period. After buying them, we used to spray them down a couple times with bowling alley antifungal spray before wearing them. As folks could afford good replica shoes, they would often donate them to our "Quartermaster" and used by other new folks.

Gus

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So you want to compare what's out there to what folks offer as "authentic" footwear. So here's what I'm writing about:

REENACTOR BOOTS.jpg

So you can work with the pair in the lower right hand corner of the images. You won't "stick out" much if at all, and you may be asked where you got them and what you did to make them look better. :thumb: I found them by searching for "chukkar boots" on Google.

The real key will be to be sure you get arch support insoles. The authentic boots are also good at giving you authentic foot problems. They are superior to moccasins on blue-stone gravel, but the lack of arch support = sore feet. It also means for most of us who are in the last few years of qualifying for Colonial Militia Service, aching legs and lower backs, unless we use the supports.

LD

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have modified a pair of "Hush Puppy" brand desert boots with latchets for the brass buckle. I wear these for after close of the day wear as my Fugawee straight last shoes hurt after a day's wear. My modified shoes were pretty well worn out when I converted them, so I went looking for an inexpensive pair of desert boots to do the same conversion. At one of the discount overstock shoe stores, I found a replacement pair. The problem is that the blue synthetic stitching nd the blue crepe rubber soles won't take black stain. I'm looking at paint or something to make a back up pair of shoes.

dgracia

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Fugawee makes "half-boots" that are historically correct and even available as "straight last" boots, meaning there is no left or right boot when you receive them. They call them "Hi-Low Trekker". However, I would not recommend getting the straight last boots like I did.

Switching them back and forth between feet was not practical regardless of rumors to the contrary and the boots do take on the curve of your feet to the point it is uncomfortable to switch them in a very short amount of time. May as well get the left/right last at the beginning. Also found out they now make a "deeper foot-bed" version for those who wear orthotics or want to add gel inserts.

Being a mail-order item, I went through a couple of orders to get the right fit. I have to interject here that I wear orthotics, so fitting my feet isn't as easy as normal folks feet. I typically have to go up 1/2 size to be able to wear them with normal shoes. Plus, these historic boots don't have a toe-box that we are all used to now days, so there's nowhere near as much room in the toes. So I ordered them a size larger than I normally would.

Received them and first set one boot fit but the other didn't . Returned that and the next one had the same thing - one fit and one didn't. Talked to them and bought another pair with the understanding that I would be keeping whatever fit and sending back the others for refund. They were very accommodating. As before I got them pretty quickly and one of the boots fit well from that second set. So I kept the two boots that fit and sent back the two that didn't fit. and am very happy with those and I've worn them to a lot of reenactments over the year's that I've had them.

There was a fair amount of resistance to the historical correctness of half boots when I first got these, but they are well accepted now due to various primary documentation that has been uncovered. Here's a shot of them followed by a primary documentation of their use. Granted this is one instance in one area (Philadelphia) , but then thirty companies of Philadelphia militia wore them. He describes their uniform in detail as well as a group of riflemen, which includes a nice description of a hunting shirt although he didn't know what to call it at the time. Here's the boots. They are/were available in both buff and black.

Trekker-Hi-Low-straight-last-natural-rough.jpg

The documentation for the use of half-boots is included in a complete description of the militia's uniforms in letter from Silas Deane to his wife Elizabeth Deane, Philadelphia, June 3, 1775

"The Militia are constantly out, Morning & Evening at Exercise, and there are already Thirty Companies in this City in Uniform, well armed, & have made a most surprizing progress. The Uniform is worth describing to You. It is a dark Brown, like Our Homespun) Coat, faced with Red, White, Yellow, or Buff according to Their different Battallions, White Vest & Breeches, White Stockings, half Boots, black knee Garters. Their Coat is made Short, falling but little below the Waistband of the Breeches, which shews the size of a Man to very great advantage.

Their Hatts are small as Jesse's little one, almost, with a Red, or White, or black Ribbon, according to Their Battallions, dosing in a Rose, out of which, rises a Tuft of Furr, of Deer made to resemble the Bucks Tail as near as possible, of about six or eight Inches high.

Their Cartouch Boxes are large, with the Word Liberty & the Number of their Battallion wrote on the outside in large White Letters. Thus equipp'd the[y] make a most elegant appearance, as their Cartouch Boxes are hung with a broad White wash Leather Strapp or Belt & their Bayonette on the other side with one of the same, which Two Crossing on the shoulders Diamond fashion gives an agreeable appearance Viewed in the rear.

The Light Infantry are in Green, faced with Buff, Vests &c as the others except the Hatt which is a hunters Capp, or Jockey. These are without exception the Genteelest Companies I ever saw.

They have besides a Body of irregulars, or rifle Men, whose dress it is hard to describe. They take a piece of Ticklenburgh, or Tan cloth that is stout and put it in a Tann Fatt, until it has the shade of a dry, or fading Leaf, then they make a kind of Frock of it reaching down below the knee, open before, with a Large Cape, they wrap it round them tight on a March, & tye it with their Belt in which hangs their Tomahawk, their Hatts As the others.

They exercise in the Neighboring Groves firing at Marks, and throwing their Tomahawks, forming on a sudden into one Line, and then at a Word, break their Order, and take their posts, to hit their mark. West of this City is an open Square, of near Two Miles each Way with large Groves each side, in which, each After Noon they Collect, with a vast Number of Spectators…"

fireman1

40 Cal
Reaction score
Fugawee makes "half-boots" that are historically correct and even available as "straight last" boots, meaning there is no left or right boot when you receive them. They call them "Hi-Low Trekker". However, I would not recommend getting the straight last boots like I did.

Switching them back and forth between feet was not practical regardless of rumors to the contrary and the boots do take on the curve of your feet to the point it is uncomfortable to switch them in a very short amount of time. May as well get the left/right last at the beginning. Also found out they now make a "deeper foot-bed" version for those who wear orthotics or want to add gel inserts.

Being a mail-order item, I went through a couple of orders to get the right fit. I have to interject here that I wear orthotics, so fitting my feet isn't as easy as normal folks feet. I typically have to go up 1/2 size to be able to wear them with normal shoes. Plus, these historic boots don't have a toe-box that we are all used to now days, so there's nowhere near as much room in the toes. So I ordered them a size larger than I normally would.

Received them and first set one boot fit but the other didn't . Returned that and the next one had the same thing - one fit and one didn't. Talked to them and bought another pair with the understanding that I would be keeping whatever fit and sending back the others for refund. They were very accommodating. As before I got them pretty quickly and one of the boots fit well from that second set. So I kept the two boots that fit and sent back the two that didn't fit. and am very happy with those and I've worn them to a lot of reenactments over the year's that I've had them.

There was a fair amount of resistance to the historical correctness of half boots when I first got these, but they are well accepted now due to various primary documentation that has been uncovered. Here's a shot of them followed by a primary documentation of their use. Granted this is one instance in one area (Philadelphia) , but then thirty companies of Philadelphia militia wore them. He describes their uniform in detail as well as a group of riflemen, which includes a nice description of a hunting shirt although he didn't know what to call it at the time. Here's the boots. They are/were available in both buff and black.

View attachment 50395

The documentation for the use of half-boots is included in a complete description of the militia's uniforms in letter from Silas Deane to his wife Elizabeth Deane, Philadelphia, June 3, 1775

"The Militia are constantly out, Morning & Evening at Exercise, and there are already Thirty Companies in this City in Uniform, well armed, & have made a most surprizing progress. The Uniform is worth describing to You. It is a dark Brown, like Our Homespun) Coat, faced with Red, White, Yellow, or Buff according to Their different Battallions, White Vest & Breeches, White Stockings, half Boots, black knee Garters. Their Coat is made Short, falling but little below the Waistband of the Breeches, which shews the size of a Man to very great advantage.

Their Hatts are small as Jesse's little one, almost, with a Red, or White, or black Ribbon, according to Their Battallions, dosing in a Rose, out of which, rises a Tuft of Furr, of Deer made to resemble the Bucks Tail as near as possible, of about six or eight Inches high.

Their Cartouch Boxes are large, with the Word Liberty & the Number of their Battallion wrote on the outside in large White Letters. Thus equipp'd the[y] make a most elegant appearance, as their Cartouch Boxes are hung with a broad White wash Leather Strapp or Belt & their Bayonette on the other side with one of the same, which Two Crossing on the shoulders Diamond fashion gives an agreeable appearance Viewed in the rear.

The Light Infantry are in Green, faced with Buff, Vests &c as the others except the Hatt which is a hunters Capp, or Jockey. These are without exception the Genteelest Companies I ever saw.

They have besides a Body of irregulars, or rifle Men, whose dress it is hard to describe. They take a piece of Ticklenburgh, or Tan cloth that is stout and put it in a Tann Fatt, until it has the shade of a dry, or fading Leaf, then they make a kind of Frock of it reaching down below the knee, open before, with a Large Cape, they wrap it round them tight on a March, & tye it with their Belt in which hangs their Tomahawk, their Hatts As the others.

They exercise in the Neighboring Groves firing at Marks, and throwing their Tomahawks, forming on a sudden into one Line, and then at a Word, break their Order, and take their posts, to hit their mark. West of this City is an open Square, of near Two Miles each Way with large Groves each side, in which, each After Noon they Collect, with a vast Number of Spectators…"
Great post. Thanks for sharing.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone looking for proper period footwear that's not extra small or extra large will find that supplies have become scarce especially for those of us with wide feet. Other than their full boots even Fugawee isn't receiving new stock in shoes or half-boots so a "make-do" might be one's best bet until supplies pick back up again.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So you want to compare what's out there to what folks offer as "authentic" footwear. So here's what I'm writing about:

View attachment 50293

So you can work with the pair in the lower right hand corner of the images. You won't "stick out" much if at all, and you may be asked where you got them and what you did to make them look better. :thumb: I found them by searching for "chukkar boots" on Google.

The real key will be to be sure you get arch support insoles. The authentic boots are also good at giving you authentic foot problems. They are superior to moccasins on blue-stone gravel, but the lack of arch support = sore feet. It also means for most of us who are in the last few years of qualifying for Colonial Militia Service, aching legs and lower backs, unless we use the supports.

LD
Now if you wanted to go back even earlier........ Starting in the 1500s we have the original brogans. Here's a reproduction.

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
kje54, those of us with narrow feet face similar problems. It is very difficult to find narrow shoes where my feet don't slide around when walking. It is tiring and can cause blisters and other foot problems. Most retailers carry "D" width and "wide" shoes, but few have narrower widths except in some high end dress shoes or some western stores in boots.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
kje54, those of us with narrow feet face similar problems. It is very difficult to find narrow shoes where my feet don't slide around when walking. It is tiring and can cause blisters and other foot problems. Most retailers carry "D" width and "wide" shoes, but few have narrower widths except in some high end dress shoes or some western stores in boots.
In WWII the German military issued a foot wrap around one's feet if the boot was too big and to add extra thickness for warmth. They might be of some help to you

Post War German Foot Wrap