• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What makes a good patch knife?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sparky

40 Cal
Reaction score
My question is what makes a patch knife different from any other small knife? I'm interested because I like to make primitive looking knives for myself and I want to make an authentic looking patch knife.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-182607_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326-182607_Gallery.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 4
There wasn’t a dedicated patch knife mentioned in old works. Only that a shooter cut a patch at the muzzle after starting the ball with thumb or knife handle.
To be ‘correct’ any small knife would work and any thin sharp knife would do the job.
So take your pick from razor to Jack knife on up will work.
Most trade knives of the era tended to be in the six inch blade range, and tended to the slim

The picture of the knife you posted. Im wondering how the handle is attached to the blade? Got any more pictures of the knife?

The picture of the knife you posted. Im wondering how the handle is attached to the blade? Got any more pictures of the knife?
The knife started out as a piece of high carbon steel with two pieces of wrought iron Wagon Tire forge welded to the outside of it. But to answer your question it has a rat tail tag. I wish I could have left the Tang as wide as it was in some of the in progress pictures but the diameter of your handle determines the maximum dimensions of your rat tail tag. I shot the deer for the antler and I created the blade from three pieces of metal. You just have to keep filing it down until you can fit it inside your antler. Then I make some notches in it to latch on to the two party epoxy that I glue it into the handle with. You're supposed to drill a hole through it and put in a brass pin to hold it but I never bother these days with epoxy being what it is. I also make the hole that's in the handle itself larger at the bottom than it is at the opening that way the epoxy can really never pull out without bursting the handle and with the notches in the Tang that part's not likely to pull out either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-190907_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326-190907_Photos.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230326-190841_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326-190841_Photos.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230326-191053_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326-191053_Photos.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230326-191010_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326-191010_Photos.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 0
Some people nowadays prefer smaller dedicated patch knives, sharp as a razor yet light enough to attach to a bag or hang from the neck. Here’s the one I like to use. But of course as stated above, there’s nothing too historical about dedicated patch knives. They’re a modern use tool. That shouldn’t stop ya though, there’s many of us who like to use them!

Attachments

• 6FCBEEE3-F0D5-4E0F-95F9-7CEF1C5C7680.jpeg
    6FCBEEE3-F0D5-4E0F-95F9-7CEF1C5C7680.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20598FB9-2C0C-44C6-82AD-F18A4239EB9A.jpeg
    20598FB9-2C0C-44C6-82AD-F18A4239EB9A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Any handy blade that is easy to sharpen and will hold a edge. IMHO they can be to small or large to handle readily

That shouldn’t stop ya though, there’s many of us who like to use them!
Yeah, that'd be me, I like this blade .072 thick;
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/453/2/BLADE-RIP-04
I've used this one too, but it's awkward to handle and carry, so I gave it to my teenage son, I figured he'd understand it's best use;
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/453/1/BLADE-PAT-03The other little 3" ones ain't much use to me,, too short for a thick steak,,

Neat thing is the tang on either doesn't have to stay in that shape,,,, and I like a handy little knife.

Last edited:
Texas Knifemakers Supply has some small knives that please me. I use their blades and reshape them to my likes. Works for me. Dale 🦨

What makes a good patch knife? Sharpness. Very sharp. Sharp enough to slice, not saw the patch. Any blade size or shape will do.

ADK Bigfoot
So take your pick from razor to Jack knife on up will work.
Nothing.
@tenngun said it,, there never was a "patch knife" in history,, it's a modern term. (kinda like a "neck" knife)
A good patch knife is sharp. (that's all, really)
Some people nowadays prefer smaller dedicated patch knives, sharp as a razor yet light enough to attach to a bag or hang from the neck.
Not to rain on everyone’s parade, but I have found such a thing as too sharp for a muzzleloading patch knife.

Saw a guy using a straight razor to cut patches at the muzzle. Thought why not, I have quite a few straight razors, so might as well put them to use. Well, they worked great for the first patch or two, then broke down to a ragged edge. Seems the individual I saw using a straight razor to trim patches didn’t know how to sharpen a straight razor, and was sharpening it like a knife, and even then, the edge broke down after a day at the range. If you have a straight razor sharp enough to comfortably shave with, and try it as a patch knife you will be disappointed. The edge is very sharp, but not durable enough to cut pillow ticking. Found out the hard way.

Not to rain on everyone’s parade, but I have found such a thing as too sharp for a muzzleloading patch knife.

Saw a guy using a straight razor to cut patches at the muzzle. Thought why not, I have quite a few straight razors, so might as well put them to use. Well, they worked great for the first patch or two, then broke down to a ragged edge. Seems the individual I saw using a straight razor to trim patches didn’t know how to sharpen a straight razor, and was sharpening it like a knife, and even then, the edge broke down after a day at the range. If you have a straight razor sharp enough to comfortably shave with, and try it as a patch knife you will be disappointed. The edge is very sharp, but not durable enough to cut pillow ticking. Found out the hard way.
Now that’s an interesting story👍

As stated, there is no such thing as an 'authentic' patch knife. Thin and sharp are main requirement. But, many, including myself prefer to avoid pointed blades. The Green River pattern is popular with many and is what I use on the range. In the field I often use a loading block or just cut patch with whatever I'm carrying on me at the time.

"lay the unbevelled side of the blade flat against the muzzle and slice. It is convenient and easy, and I think the edge stays sharp longer."
I used to do that, But those darn little scratches on my nice pretty muzzle face kinda bugged me,,
So now I cut just a little above, the blade never touches my now nicely refinished pretty muzzle face

I like an Opinel #6 for cutting patches. It's small, light, and cheap. Sand it and stain it darker and it's a presentable little knife.
Those Opinel folding knives are great for everyday carry. I have one in my pocket every day around the house. If I go out I then trade off for a Kershaw (Ken Onion assisted opening made in USA) or a Benchmade folder. The steel in the Opinel is good steel. The blade is thin and easy to sharpen and will hold a good edge. My only complaint is that of the blade shape on most of their folders. I'm not a big fan of the forward upward curve of the cutting edge. I like their "garden" style blade profile shape better. They have a "mushroom" knife that is neat also Old Bear has a nice "mushroom" knife check them out. I would cut off the brush end first.;)

Back