• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind/type of rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegard_dino

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all.

I was over at a local farm to get some hunting license and we got talking about guns and hunting.
Then, they told me about a old heavy gun with a hammer....Oh, interesting.
It was a percussion rifle, very heavy and big. Se photos.
I was not able to putt it on a scale, but I will guess the rifle was close to 16-18 lbs.

On the farm it was done a lot of bear hunting in the old days.
Maybe it was one of the bear guns?

The gun is very well made, engraved scroll on the barrel, the wood is well made. Hammer still works, after a 100 or so unused years.
On the gun it is a name stamped in: J. Grindnr(h?)g. It has to be the maker, German?
Also the caliber I have no idea, all I know is that it is more than 16 gauge. From looking at my 16 gauge shoot gun. If that is the same....Also, the barrel starts out as a square shaped barrel, then goes over to a octagonal barrel.
14072012092.jpg

14072012089-1.jpg

14072012085.jpg

14072012086.jpg

Any one who can help me with some information?

Thanks.

I can't help too much about I.D.ing the rifle, but I would think as heavy as it is that this would be a chunk gun or a heavy target rifle. Beautiful wood and craftsmanship.....................watch yer top knot..............

Interesting discovery.
If German, much of their hunting was/is done from elaborate tree stands. Meaning the barrel could be rested. Some German hunting firearms ml and modern are quite heavy.
Be nice to have more detail on that rifle. The rear sight is unique.

I will take some more photos and post them later. Maybe take some days..sorry. The owner is away.

Why is the rear sight interesting? It is "odd" looking....Hmm.
The bear hunting done on the farm back then was from a stand over bait in the spring time. (A hunter/farmer is reported to have shoot 105 bears and more than 150 moose. Now that was some hunter.
He did live from 1785-1861). Maybe he did use the gun?....Interesting.

Yes, the wood work is good, the wood is also of a high quality. I am no expert, but when these rifle was new, it was not a low priced one.

Thanks all for helping.

Hi Vegard,
What you have is a wonderful example of a Norweigan percussion-rifle with a typical "kassepipe". This type of rifles is extremely loved in Norway. The internet-forum "Svartkrutt.net" has also an international part in english and you should show this pretty specimen at that place. Here is a link to a thread in norwegian about thos kassepipe rifles.http://www.forum.svartkrutt.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=1327. Your first name sounds a little norwegian, right ;).
Regards,
ARILAR:)

Vegard, what country is that in? And what nationality was the owner of the farm, that first used the rifle?
To me it looks like a hunting rifle; it's very nice. thank you.

arw22lr said:
Vegard, what country is that in? And what nationality was the owner of the farm, that first used the rifle?
To me it looks like a hunting rifle; it's very nice. thank you.

The room decor, including the heating stove, is VERY Norwegian.

So, my bet is that it is from that country.

tac

I realize this is an old post, but I have something to freshen it up. I recently acquired an interesting rolling block rifle out of Scandinavia that has the action fitted to a repurposed kassepipe or box barrel from a muzzleloader. Same barrel ornamentation and same weird rear sight mount.

(Pictures deleted by Zonie)

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't talk about rolling block rifles or any other kind of firearm that uses self contained cartridges on the Muzzleloading Forum.

I don't believe the rolling block action existed prior to 1866 so, even if the gun is converted to a true muzzleloader, I don't think it fits with the forum's guidelines.

We don't talk about rolling block rifles or any other kind of firearm that uses self contained cartridges on the Muzzleloading Forum.

I don't believe the rolling block action existed prior to 1866 so, even if the gun is converted to a true muzzleloader, I don't think it fits with the forum's guidelines.
Plus this is an over 8 year old thread?

I don't have a problem with members posting in very old threads unless they are asking a question to one of the people who posted in it years ago.
For them to expect a reply is asking a bit much.

Hi BigSkyRambler!
Your RB has a typical Norwegian kassepipe, "coffin barrel" (or kistpipa as we call it in Sweden). Not unusual that a good muzzleloaded rifle could donate its barrel to a RB rifle. As I wrote already 2012 to Vegard the kassepipe rifles are very loved in Norway. The few I have collected in Sweden has found its way back to Norway.....Not sure Vegard ever red my reply. Hopefully you will read this. Take care.

Kassepipe merket Grindereng er norsk rifle. Børsemaker Grindereng levde fra 1807-1895, og bodde i Løten i Norge.
Han var en kjent børsemaker i Norge

Kassepiper is some norwegians rifles. Grindereng was a gunsmith as lived at 1807-1895. He lived in a place Løten in Norway. He was a well known gunnsmith in Norway. A rifle made by Grindereng are popular among collectors.

Latest posts

Back