• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of stuff do you all read?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious what taste every one has when it comes to reading material?
I am not a huge magazine reader simply due to the boring stuff and mostly advertisement stuff in them. They can be good for pictures though to look at and day dream, but usually the writing sucks LOL.
I've pretty much destroyed the book department and am looking for "new" authors that write decent about the mountain man era. I've gone through so many books by various authors, including one writer that has a 70+ book series, that it's getting super hard to find new material to enjoy.
i do read alot! i have a lot of books on frontier stuff,rev.war french and indian,,even the era of the pirates,wich was brought me to building the pistols that they used,,when people at work are on the phones,i was the only one in my book.mickey

To rest and as I don't live in my time anymore, I particularly like novels and historical works which take place between the battle of Sekigahara and the Meiji era. Madam does Japanese calligraphy; meanwhile, I read: I am not good with a brush and ink... :(
Most of what I know about Japanese history comes from K-dramas and Mushi Master (which is actually quite interesting). Did they have guns in the Meiji era?

I have a wide range of interest. I'm currently finishing up the scifi series EXPANSE. Nine volumes. Very good. Going on to Elmer Keith HELL I WAS THERE!

Elmer's book is a must read for anyone even remotely connected with firearms. Also a window into early 20th century life.

I am currently reading the biography of Dave Akeman,”String Bean”.
I have been listening to Jim Corbett hunting stories or Sherlock Holmes to fall asleep.

I am currently reading the biography of Dave Akeman,”String Bean”.
I have been listening to Jim Corbett hunting stories or Sherlock Holmes to fall asleep.
I have read all of Corbett's books but never before falling asleep! I would be fighting tigers in my sleep.

Did they have guns in the Meiji era?
The Haitōrei, or sword ban edict, was a Japanese government edict of March 28, 1876, that prohibited the carrying of weapons in public places, except for the military and official police. Violators had their weapons confiscated at the very least and sometimes much more...
As a result, the craftsmen and artists who made weapons declined and disappeared, as well as all the weapons techniques coming from the depths of Japan.
Since then, getting a weapon in Japan is a difficult task. This is also the reason my interest in classical Japan stops at the Meiji era...
In fact, and to answer you, since the Meiji era all weapons are forbidden.
There was previously a form of restriction dating back to the 1500s, but mainly reserved for certain peasant classes...

The Haitōrei, or sword ban edict, was a Japanese government edict of March 28, 1876, that prohibited the carrying of weapons in public places, except for the military and official police. Violators had their weapons confiscated at the very least and sometimes much more...
As a result, the craftsmen and artists who made weapons declined and disappeared, as well as all the weapons techniques coming from the depths of Japan.
Since then, getting a weapon in Japan is a difficult task. This is also the reason my interest in classical Japan stops at the Meiji era...
In fact, and to answer you, since the Meiji era all weapons are forbidden.
There was previously a form of restriction dating back to the 1500s, but mainly reserved for certain peasant classes...
Years ago I had a neighbor who was a Japanese citizen. He decided to buy a gun and was amazed at how easy it was to get one. Just a background check, pay for it and out the door. Would maybe like to visit Japan some day... but I don't think I would want to live there. Wonder where the Yakuza gets their guns?

Years ago I had a neighbor who was a Japanese citizen. He decided to buy a gun and was amazed at how easy it was to get one. Just a background check, pay for it and out the door. Would maybe like to visit Japan some day... but I don't think I would want to live there. Wonder where the Yakuza gets their guns?
The CIA maybe???

Just finished Boone. I highly recommend it.
image.jpeg

Just finished Brett Gibbons' Like Fire and Powder. Read his re-work of the Hythe School of Musketry manual and The Destroying Angel earlier.) Before that, I'd taken a break from reality with The Spin, a sci-fi novel from 2005-ish (it was ok).

I've recently read Five Years a Dragoon by Percival G. Lowe (Excellent read!), both of Frances Fuller Victor's Joe Meek books, and I just started Diana Preston's The Boxer Rebellion.

So I guess you could say I like history. :)

Latest posts

Back