• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of nipples do you prefer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sound's like a personal problem I know.

HOWEVER ( ::) On the serious side -

I'm figuir'n thet I could easily break a nipple and should probably have a spare (God I know I'm gonna get it fer this post) jest in case.

I was gonna jest gonna ask RollingB; Does I needed ta carry a spare, and what kind he pro-furr'd but I figured that this were a good topic fer the rest of the lot of ya.

Now Gent's remember there be ladies here, and Good Women of the board fergive me fer my transgressions. I didn't name these peice parts.

Spot

p.s. - I watched pirates of the carribean this weekend 'cause it were so windy I couldn't shoot. I think my script has picked up a pirate twang. ::

p.s.p.s. - I don't think these things up I only work here.

I figured (after think'n) I should clarify a bit more.

I was trying to pick out (damn) nipple from the TOTW site for my GPR - they've got stainless, bronze, steel, .....
I figured I'd ask about those... RB has already told me about the hotshot's but I didn't see one there. Guess I need to look harder.

Alright, maybe I should have quit while I was behind.

Spot

I prefer them musket nipples...
Ha, didn't see that one coming, did ya? :winking:

Once, I had a muzzleloader that took the #11 percussion cap, I ran hot shot's in it...

p.s. Arrgh, me hearties... :haha:

Spot,.... TOTW's stock No. for the "Hot Shot" nipple thet fits yore GPR is,.... #Hot-Shot-MET ..... (Metric 6-75mm for Lyman & Italian Hawen) located in TOTW's catalog on page 405, right above the "Rethreading Taps"!!.

Now fer yore "peace of mind",.... I ain't never "broke a nipple", and I've take'n some purty "nasty falls" over the years!! :haha: :haha:

I ain't never "broke a nipple", and I've take'n some purty "nasty falls" over the years!!

A split second after read'n yer final line, Spot bust's inta laughter!!!

LOL!!! :shocking:DOH!!!!! did it again LOL!!!

I didn't think they were that tough, I guess I don't need to carry one if ya ain't busted one I most likely won't ever bust one either.

Spot

Quote---- "I ain't never "broke a nipple", and I've take'n some purty "nasty falls" over the years!!""

A split second after read'n yer final line, Spot bust's inta laughter!!!

LOL!!! :shocking: DOH!!!!! did it again LOL!!!

I didn't think they were that tough, I guess I don't need to carry one if ya ain't busted one I most likely won't ever bust one either.

Spot

I shoot a Lyman Trade Rifle and have always used Uncle Mikes Hotshots.They work for me.

Spot: After you stop laughing, if you don't buy Hot Shot (stainless steel) nipples if you have a choice the best to worst materials IMO are:

Stainless Steel (iron/nickle/chrome) (lasts a long time)
Monel (nickle/copper) (pretty good life but softer than SS)
Steel (like it says) (fair life, rusts and burns out easily)
Brass (copper/zinc) (too soft)
Aluminum (much too soft and would burn out in a few shots)
Wood (even Ironwood won't work) (Nothing personal Ironwood!)

Spot Shooter I find that the GPR nipple can be a pain in the b--t to find the correct one.
I found the correct nipple for my GPR from ThunderRidge took me two orders and a picture that I sent him.The first set of nipples were to long
I find that the hot shot and knight nipple are to long interfering with the hammer on the 1/2 cock position,the shorter the the nipple works the best.
I was out last week at the range and did great not one mis-fire also using RWS CAPS 1075.

It is somewhat important that you know the Lyman nipple is shorter than most other nipples. If you have a Lyman nipple in now let the hammer set on the nipple and estimate, How flat is the hammer resting on the nipple? If it looks flat and you install a normal replacement nipple which is taller the mating will not be flat it will be angled. In most cases you may never know the difference, but on the cold damp morning when you need all the heat and all the flash you can get going down the nipple you'll want the right one. So when you get a new nipple not only is the thread 6x75 got to be right but also the heighth.

The following came from a post on "Carbelas Hawkins" back in Jan 18, 2004. If you want the whole post, use the search feature but here is my comment about dealing with the nipple problem.
"If the nipple is too long, you can shorten it by filing the top down.
WARNING: WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES.

Before doing this there are couple things to keep in mind is most nipples, going from the top down have a large internal diameter which necks down to a small diameter. You don't want to remove all of this large internal diameter area and you defenitly don't want to remove any of the small diameter.
Check the installed nipple/hammer fit. If you remove too much material, the hammer may bottom out on the drum/bolster which means you need a new nipple.

As you remove material from the top of the nipple you are increasing the outside diameter of it because of the outside taper it has. If you remove enough face material so that the cap cannot be installed then get out your electric drill and a fine toothed file.

Chuck the nipple body (not the threads) in the drill so that the nipple end is sticking out. Have someone start the drill (slowly if it is a variable speed drill) and turn the file so its flat is at the same angle the nipple cone has and carefully file the outside diameter down.
Stop often and check the fit of the cap. If the cap is tight and won't come off of the nipple that's not real bad BUT when you pry it off of the nipple be prepared to have it detonate. (another reason to wear safety glasses).

Happy Shootin to you"

I didn't think they were that tough, I guess I don't need to carry one if ya ain't busted one I most likely won't ever bust one either. Spot

I would still carry one, if'n I be you...

Say you are out in the deep woods a huntin, and you fire at a 78 point deer and miss (could happin) 'cus you got all flustered by the thought of you gettin' a world's record buck...

As you start to reload, (first by removing the spent 'cussion cap) you notice there be a piece of cap lodged deep inside the nipple...

Can't pick it out, so you remove the nipple and drop it into the stream you are now crossing because your fingers are numb and cold...(trying to track the deer while cleaning the nipple)

Now you are up that legendary creek without a paddle, or in this case, a nipple...

It could happen that way, you never know...

This is why one should carry a spare nipple, Oh, a nipple wrench might help as well... :winking:

I know the scenario sounds a tad far fetched, but if you spend a few bucks and never use it, no big deal...
But if you go on a hunt and loose it in the leaves/snow or what have you, your done hunting unless you have a spare...

Modern nipples are nothing like the nipples of the 19th century.(sorry ladies!) I've seen many origional nipples that were bored straight through, no pin hole size opening at the base like today. Sure fire ignition and probably blew the hammer to half cock at every shot! The percision made nipples we have today are way over complicated for their purpose.(sorry again ladies) We buy the advertisement hype about channeling the fire to the powder and wonder why we get misfires when we're just restricting the flow of the ignition charge.(that really does make the ladies ill tempered) Flint ignition is sucked through the vent while percussion ignition is pushed through the nipple under preasure.(could explain the large families of the colonial era) Some old origionals even have a hole drilled in the drum to allow the build up of preasure to escape.

I've been wait'n fer someone ta start talk'n about how
much fire needs to go through the nipple, vs. how much comes back. Don't know about this flinter "suckin'" fire idea.

I'm jest looking for a nipple that is made of the best material that jest might improve (not dangerously) the odds of good ignition. Too bad thet TC stopped makin' them metric version nipples.

Spot

You can drill the fire channel larger in the nipple, this will allow more flame to reach the main charge...

Ohio Joe,

Checked them, nope not meteric in the hotshot. I had forgot them though, thanks for the recommendation.

RollingB,

Did you mean TC or Butler Creek "hot shot" nipples.

Spot

Back