• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What kind of Coal for your Forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am only an amateur smith. Use the forge occasionally as the need arises. I have more than a lifetime supply of coal and made a huge amount of charcoal a few yrs ago, so the market is meaning less to me. But, prior to acquiring my present supplies I checked on coal from a mine located about 40 miles south of me and was told they sold it by the bag or by the pickup truck bed full, by weight. I never purchased from them as I got mine shortly thereafter. So I think blacksmith coal is still available. Maybe someone with more recent knowledge will post and up date you.
Dave

I bought a 50 lb bag from Tractor Supply a couple years ago... I haven’t tried it yet, but that may be a possibility for you..
It cost around $8.00 ...

I prefer "hard" coal which is available if you look around.But lump charcoal with work also. In colonial times charcoal and coal both called coal. There were adds placed offering stands of trees for making coal in colonial papers.

Does Tractor Supply carry coal "everywhere" I wonder, or is maybe that a regional thing? I've wanted to buy some, but it is surprisingly hard to find nowadays. Shipping costs are a deal killer.

The best coal for forging is bituminus or soft coal. Check out some blacksmithing sites as they usually have discussions on such things by people who are very knowledgeable on the subject.

I have about 150-200 lbs of VERY Fine blacksmith Coal. I got it over 32 years ago and have been told it's hard to replace. I've also been told to mix it with some of what's available now to make it last. What do you guys use for coal and where do you get it?
wilson coal by sparta nj, anthracite and bituminous coal I use for forging knives and swords

Suggestion if you live near some R.R. tracks be careful and walk the edges of the tracks with a bag, when we were kids done this and picked up coal that fell off the cars.

I did the same thing as a kid..
That was 50 years ago...

I went back a few years ago where a train had derailed several boxcar loads of coal back then, and there was none too be found...not even a used RR spike... L&N must have had issues with the EPA ..

Bituminous burns better, but anthracite will work. It goes out a bit easier as it is harder. I prefer the bituminous, but had a chance to get 3K pounds free a year ago, so I did. Tractor Supply is hit or miss by state. Only a few in Texas carry it, more common up north and east though. I have read it is anthracite, but never used any.

Tractor Supply here in PA only carries nut size anthracite coal. It is primarily used in stoves for heat. What I have found out about using anthracite for forging is that you need a constant air supply or it will go out. It tends to "spit" a lot throwing bits out of the forge. I use it in my coal furnace, it costs $235 a ton delivered.

It is my understanding the coal around here isn't hot enough to forge weld with. Some coke it up. I know one hobbiest who cokes his coal up but then he doesn't live in the city limits and is retired.

Latest posts

Back