• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is your smallest caliber/gauge smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers,
R
36 Smoothbore 1.JPG 36 smoothbore 3.JPG

I had one of those cheap twist barrel Belgian made smoothbores that Dixie used to sell. About 38 caliber. Never tried shooting it although it had proofs. One of those with the infamous scalloped shaped cap boxes. Had a 50 caliber smooth rifle, which was pretty accurate. Otherwise, I had the big stuff Right now I have the makins of a 4 bore smooth bore pistol. Finding wood thick enough was the problem. The exterior breech is 2 inches in diameter. Got a piece of black walnut log with a crotch in it and chain sawed a blank out of the lower side of the crotch. Have it drying for just over a year now.

Short 24 ga. "Canoe gun" ( if such a thing ever existed "back when" ;-)

I think 28 ga. would still be practical for smallgame with shot & round ball for med. game(?)

3fg seems to be a better choice for small gauges & short barrels.

I used to shoot a Charleville & 20 fusil s.
Larger bore & heavier payload can use heavier shot which penetrates better.
Small ga. needs small shot (which has a harder time driving thru feathers , fur & hide), to get decent pattern density so you may have to shoot for the head/neck rather than the body.
Davo

Latest posts

Back