• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your smallest caliber/gauge smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While in another thread about using shot in a 32 caliber, it got me wondering about small bore smooth rifles and shotguns. My smallest is a 52 caliber/ 32 gauge percussion shotgun. My normal load is 60 grains 2f with 7/8 shot or heavy patched .490 round ball. The barrel is thick but not rifle thick. And it is the octagon to round style barrel. So what have you got and what kind of load do you use?

Last edited:
I do not use it yet as I have not built it yet but I have breeched and drummed a 9mm (.355) full tapered slim octagon smoothbore barrel off of a Spanish cheapo Kentucky rifle. I understand 9mm smooth barrel guns are popular in Europe (I guess for shooting starlings and packrats). The barrel is 29" long and tapers from 13/16" atf to 5/8" at the muzzle. This I plan to fabricate into a small back action percussion half stock 'monkey' gun or even a long barreled 'specimen' gun with a pistol grip stock. In have no idea how well this thing will work, being an open choke, but I bet it will be fun, and run Parks and Wildlife dept. crazy trying to pigeon hole it into an obscure classification of legalese. I have in my tuteledge built ml shotguns in the 41-45 caliber range and was surprised at their power. but this will be a new low, so to speak. It is as small a bore as I would recommend for 'little edibles' as Dr. Sam Fadala would say.

I just use tow when dealing with loose shot. I roll up paper cartridges with a measure of shot, wad over powder with tow, tear open paper and dump the shot in, then wad the paper over the shot. Sometimes lube both to keep fowling down.loose shot I just wad with tow top and bottom,

28Ga. flint on an English style. I use a 9/16 punch for over powder wads from 10oz leather and overshot from poster board. 55gr 2f and 5/8oz of#6 shot is death on tree rats.

I do not use it yet as I have not built it yet but I have breeched and drummed a 9mm (.355) full tapered slim octagon smoothbore barrel off of a Spanish cheapo Kentucky rifle. I understand 9mm smooth barrel guns are popular in Europe (I guess for shooting starlings and packrats). The barrel is 29" long and tapers from 13/16" atf to 5/8" at the muzzle. This I plan to fabricate into a small back action percussion half stock 'monkey' gun or even a long barreled 'specimen' gun with a pistol grip stock. In have no idea how well this thing will work, being an open choke, but I bet it will be fun, and run Parks and Wildlife dept. crazy trying to pigeon hole it into an obscure classification of legalese. I have in my tuteledge built ml shotguns in the 41-45 caliber range and was surprised at their power. but this will be a new low, so to speak. It is as small a bore as I would recommend for 'little edibles' as Dr. Sam Fadala would say.

Treestalker, your super sub bore sounds interesting. I've seen a few 9mm on auction sites but never knew anyone that had one. Keep us posted when you get it finished.

0BEF89A3-5CC6-4791-99E5-49BE14AE20CB.jpeg
Yes, half oct barrel. Got parts from Sitting fox.
C7123F33-FB45-4B67-9AC1-CB7C7F06271C.jpeg

I have a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock that I bought as a .32. The bore was badly rusted so after a trip to Bobby Hoyt it is now a .40 smooth rifle. It shoots both .390 round ball and shot.
I also used to have a 9mm unmentionable. Known as a garden gun. It was fun but pretty short range and expensive to shoot.

Treestalker, your super sub bore sounds interesting. I've seen a few 9mm on auction sites but never knew anyone that had one. Keep us posted when you get it finished.
Phil, it will have to wait 'til I finish a couple of other projects, but I'll try to keep a post up when I get started on it. Thanks for your post, Geo.

Back