• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is your longest moving kill with a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to 'whistle stop' a deer to get a standing shot but a few have not halted, and I've had to take the shot as they continued crossing in front of the stand...all have been close in the 25-40yd range that I normally set up a tree stand to overlook a trail crossing

A 40 yard shot on a grouse in full flight...

Not bad for swinging a 42 inch barrel in heavy cover, I guess the 1 1/4 ounce load of #6 shot helped a bit...
grin.gif

The deer was walking through the sage...one shot and he walked about 15 - 20 yards further, then he went down. Stepping off through the sage I counted 135 long steps. Turned out to be a double lung shot with the ball on the offside. Everything else has been under 100 yards and closer to 75.

Voyageur

135 steps. Thats just about 400 yards!
shocked.gif
Were you shooting one of muzzleman's cannons?
grin.gif

Ducks and an assortment of game birds with a 12 gauge double regularly out to something over 30 yards, but probably not over 40; hares to around 30 yards with a 20 gauge double. No big game till next fall (just wait!), but I doubt they will be moving at all if my history with centerfire arms and archery are indicators.

It would have to be cottontails with my CVA double shotgun. I don't believe I've ever had to shoot at big game with a ML while it was moving, even at a walk and only once with my old '86 Winchester. Dropped a big hog at about 40 yds. at a dead run. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken that shot and I don't know if I'd take it again but I'd been shooting a LOT and everything was.....right.....one dead hog.

Vic

A trotting coyote at a around 100 yards with a .50 flinter and patch-rounder. Not my skill , just pure luck. Those suckers are why we have no rabbit or quail in my area. Also hit one with a 12ga slug at close to 10 yards. He got caught in the hen house and was climbing the wire. Blood and guts were everwhere and that thing still got away .

roundball,
you're right. Duh! that's the last time I post a reply at 2:00 a.m. I guess my brain cells aren't working too well then.

smokeblower.....12 ga. slug, good choice. Ain't nuthin' too big for killin' 'yotes or cats. They are tough on small game.

Vic

I prefer not to shoot at moving deer unless they are walking slowly at close (under 20 yds)range I think shooting at moving game is how the ML and RB get a lot of bad press.

125 paced yards on a deer running and leaping full bore. Caught her through the lungs while she was airborn leaping a brush pile. I had a TC Hawkin, 50 cal. (maxi ball) with a pistol scope on it. Back in southern Ohio. I tried the shot because we had a good tracking snow. :shocking:

209 yds. when I first saw it, 220 where I shot it, walking not running. 4x3 Mule deer. Offhand, but I had a rangefinder and knew exactly where my gun shot at that distance. TC Renegade with a GM .50 cal. barrel, iron sights. This gun will regularly shoot 4" groups at that distance. 2003 deer season.

About a 20 yard shot a doe that was loping, not running, not walking, thru the hardwoods. It was my second deer, and being young and inexperienced with flinters at the time I didn't think to follow thru on the shot- stopped following the target when I pulled the trigger. Double lunged it just ahead of the diaphram - lucky it wasn't moving faster.

10 feet me and my brother was driving deer for other hunters when it popped up out of high grass and started runnig towards me, i looked at my bro and he nodded his head so i shot it from the hip..{i had a boonie sling on the gun}

4 pointer walking through a picked corn field. I saw him coming, got the .54 caliber Renegade up and ready. As he walked by he was about 30 yards out. I picked a spot on the front shoulder and touched it off. The round ball went right through the back corner of the shoulder into the other shoulder. Needless to say the buck went down.

I don't shoot running I can usaly stop them.I had 2 Deer running at me I stopped them.Now I only had 3 shots on me and two Tags.

I shot missed,Deer still standing there 30 yards,reload while they watch,shot dropped the first one,reload while the other one is walking towards me,stomping its foot,shoot,two Tags filled.

oneshot

In the path there was a pile of brush, then a deep ditch four feet wide, then a six foot fence. I cleared the brush, jumped that ditch and took the shot while jumpin the fence but I caught my foot on the top wire and shot a little low. Then the deer got out of it's bed and ran off. :haha:

C F

Back