• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is your hunting rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it interesting that deer are being killed with .40 caliber rifles. I shoot holes in paper with them but in this state nothing less than .45 is legal for deer. Obviously it can be done, but a .54 works a lot better. I'm the first one to admit that if a good shot at a deer presents itself while I'm squirrel hunting with a .40 I would take it.

I find it interesting that deer are being killed with .40 caliber rifles. I shoot holes in paper with them but in this state nothing less than .45 is legal for deer. Obviously it can be done, but a .54 works a lot better. I'm the first one to admit that if a good shot at a deer presents itself while I'm squirrel hunting with a .40 I would take it.
I understand your reasoning. I have used everything from 40 to 62cal including a 54 for a while. I did not go into using a 40 lightly but I found that within 50 yards or less at high velocity it is effective. My main load is a PRB and 65 gr fff Swiss. I am not recommending it for everyone as shot placement is key and there is many situations you have to let pass. I did experiment with double balling and took some deer that way but I didn’t like the loss in velocity or the extra attention needed to not create an air gap between the two projectiles. I will also say I experimented quite a bit with R.E.A.L. conical bullets and that made it a whole different animal in its self. My personal favorite is a 50 cal for deer in a 38 inch B weight as I think it is the most comfortable to carry and balance while still it packs plenty of power, but the old 40 has put plenty of meat on the table.

Been thinking of the ideal hunting rifle set up right now for Eastern Whitetail. I was thinking it would be along the lines of .50-54 caliber, 38 inch swamped barrel. What do you guys shoot? Im going to be using my .50 for hunting but with the straight 42 inch barrel it is a bear in the carry department.
How about a 32 inch barrel 50 or 54 cal lyman GPR or a Hawkins?

I’ve been hunting modern migratory and archery deer and turkey. I’m actually out crow hunting with the Jack Brooks Carolina trade gun 20 gauge right now and filming. One down. They’re not cooperating.....

I’ve already filmed the preliminary part of the video, explaining my absence, apologizing, and promising good things to come. I’m also setting up a modern hunting and rural life YouTube channel (Bob McBride Films) so I can get some of my waterfowl, archery, etc a place to be but BPTV will still be my primary channel. I’m also headed to a longrifle show next week in Ohio. I’ll film that as well. This time of year is hectic with hunting kicking off.

I’ve given the e-caller plenty of time off. Let’s see if I can decoy these black rats back over the top of me.

Expect videos coming pretty rapid fire when BP deer starts in just a few.

View attachment 47843
Cool, I think I may have mentioned this previously, but I'm waiting on my action camera to arrive tomorrow!

I use any of my rifles with a .54cal. 38" C weight barrel. They are light and easy to carry. This one is the easiest. It is light. Minimal wood and no buttplate. If I gouge it up, it doesn't matter.

Nate's rifle 002.JPG

Last edited:
After solitary brooding for months on end I have decided that North Carolina produced some of the most beautiful and interesting Longrifles in America. We are about finished with the third one in Curly Ash. I have not found Ash hard to work with at all. It will produce a splendid finished appearance with plenty of stripes and curl. Rifle projects like this give the builder a chance to create something a bit different than the common Pennsylvania rifle yet retain the originality of an American work of art.

I have several rifles. The two I seem to lean on the most is #1 my Hot Rod Hawken.

1kWwyAq.jpg

It is a 45 cal TC Hawken with a 1-30 Green Mountain LRH barrel. It shoots a Paper Patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet, and Lyman peep and globe sight.

2UMJRHF.jpg

I use it for mostly deer and antelope.

2WB2Yna.jpg

ArfKB5I.jpg

The other that I use the most is my Hot Rod Renegade.

JlO6298.jpg

It is a TC Renegade with a fast twist Green Mountain barrel 1-28 twist. It has lyman peep and globe sights. It shoots a Paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet.
My son uses it the most for deer, I use it for elk. I have used it for Deer, elk and antelope.

g6mUe2h.jpg

daB0nu9.jpg

lEKzML6.jpg

3VJcFNE.jpg

M7e6pXD.jpg

I have another Renegade and it is basically the same as the other one but it has a single trigger.
it uses the same load.

PDC9eJw.jpg

That rifle was my first Hot Rod. I used it for deer and elk. Now days it is mostly a safe queen.

5sEtYeV.jpg

s9spWaE.jpg

qd27dBA.jpg

Tj7530c.jpg

I have tons of more pictures of game. The thing that I like the most about these rifles are they have all kept their sight in's for years. I never have to re sight them in. They are always on. and they load is consistent and lethal.

I have the one rifle I decided would be the best for a one does-it-all-the-best-it-can rifle, assuming I’d eventually get another or three.

My thoughts were to find something lighter that can be carried all week long so under 8 lbs, and potentially through thick stuff so on the shorter side. I ended up choosing a Lyman’s Deerstalker (blued version with the deeper grooves) in .50 cal figuring the .490” PRB was overkill on my tiny whitetail, but could swap to a conical for large game were I to get a chance at elk or some such.

I have the one rifle I decided would be the best for a one does-it-all-the-best-it-can rifle, assuming I’d eventually get another or three.

My thoughts were to find something lighter that can be carried all week long so under 8 lbs, and potentially through thick stuff so on the shorter side. I ended up choosing a Lyman’s Deerstalker (blued version with the deeper grooves) in .50 cal figuring the .490” PRB was overkill on my tiny whitetail, but could swap to a conical for large game were I to get a chance at elk or some such.

Not season here yet but will be using my .50 Pennsylvania bicentennial rifle I acquired a few years ago. 44” swamped Bob Paris barrel, siler lock. #100 made by Jack Haugh. Shot a few with it so far. Neat piece of history. Kinda heavy at 10 1/2#’s though.

One stays awake. LOL

Hanshi don't climb no more so snoozing is fine. I have a lightweight folding canvas chair I carry into the woods; infirmities make it difficult getting on the ground and getting back up. I'll snooze some but hunt with my ears. Often I've heard deer and knew what was coming. Most hunting has been with a .45 flintlock although the .50, .54 and .62 have taken their share.

You crack me up! I took my kids velour video gaming chair (legless) into the woods and keep it there all season in a contractors bag. I get to my chosen spot. set up the chair on a overlook........................and go to sleep in the sun! Anything walks through the dry beech leaves and I'll hear it! Hunting by ear. No more eye strain!

got 2 one is a lyman 54 cal deer stalker. 75 gr of 3f and 18th patch 535 dia ball number2 is a 50 cal lyman deer stalker going to shot the hornady PA conical and the hornady great plains see what shoots the best .. the great plains shot ok last week before i forgot the powder

got 2 one is a lyman 54 cal deer stalker. 75 gr of 3f and 18th patch 535 dia ball number2 is a 50 cal lyman deer stalker going to shot the hornady PA conical and the hornady great plains see what shoots the best .. the great plains shot ok last week before i forgot the powder

That’s a tight patch combo. Did you find it necessary? I have a .50 cal that I casually shot with .015-6” patches and .490” balls that I happened to measure one today and found just over 0.485” (Lee mold). I haven’t played with it enough or even used a good lube to say much from that perspective, but I’ve felt mine was fairly tight needing a bit of a whack to get started so I figured that should certainly be enough to see accuracy. But I’ve read some guns just need something extremely crazy to get good accuracy from.

I’m not carrying a hammer or wanting to need anything like that to get what I want...

I have been using a flintlock DGW TN Mtn. Rifle for a few years now, but you can catch me at times carrying my first blackpowder hunting rifle, a caplock CVA St. Louis Hawken.

Back