• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is your favorite style of rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda fell into the school. I took function over form. I told the ladies at Muzzle Loader Supply the caliber, and balance point, and weight. They have a wondrous attic, where everything hides, you just have to ask.

This may be the very piece that was copied, mine looks just like it, Scary.

Original

Mr Sheetz

Amazing man

At the moment, it's probably the Woodbury style; specifically the ones with more of a Pennsylvania/Virginia/early southern style stock design. Not just Herschel House's work, but also some of the stuff put out by Steve Davis, Ian Pratt, and Lowell Haarer. I know they're not necessarily HC, but man do I love how they look.

My favorite style rifle are those of the early colonial designs from the pre/revolutionary period. The appearance and feel of these rifles appeal to me. The John Shreit rifle, 1761(below) is a good example. My 58 cal Kibler Colonial fits this style well for me.
608A4F0A-DB94-4512-BBD0-73AFAFD37F28.jpeg

So many choices , so little time..... Lehigh ........Why a favorite? Twenty years ago , my stock shaper was permitted to copy a dozen or so original Pa. rifles from a friend's collection. Immediately , the copy of an old , plain Lehigh barn gun , fit me so good , had to make one right away. Love the classic Roman nose , and the slim lines of the forearm. So many makers to choose from w/limitless variations of parts. ..........oldwood

An SMR for me is the most beautiful of American guns, I find my TFC the most comfortable to shoot. Lancasters just have such romance and balance gracefulness along with the Virginia that seems like Lancasters little brothe, you just have to love’em Dutch club butts just make you want to pick one up.
That’s not considering a Bess for martial elegance.
Oh my
I am but a butterfly draw from flower to flower.

How about more than one. I like Berks County rifles for the inlay and engraving, but Schimmel Guns from the Lehigh region are so simple, plain and nice. I appreciate a New England fowling piece for its lightness and butt shape, not to mention the versatility. I like SMR for the same reason as Schimmels, but those buttstocks are so cool. Shooting cross body is pretty neat.

I prefer the halfstock rifles during the time when popular preference was changing from flintlock to percussion.

My favorite would be the Harper’s Ferry rifles.

Plains rifles... history of the westward expansion from the great plains to the Rocky Mountains. I matured [well somewhat] in Colorado and Idaho hunting and fishing those same mountains that drew the Mountain men and gave us heroes who could lead the 'explorers' and immigrants to all the American West. If I lived in the East I would probably see it a little differently. Polecat

Back