• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what is your favorite rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Favorite? Difficult to answer without specifying the gun's purpose. But I'll try.
My go-to deer rifle over the years is a late Lancaster style shorty (36") that has taken the majority of my BP deer. Nothing fancy and all are strictly "Plain Jane". But this little .45 feels just sooo good to hold.
PICT0384-1.jpg

Owned this early Lancaster/York/youth style .50 for a few years abut it has not taken game so far. Short, 12.5" lop, 38" "B" wgt Rice radius groove barrel and Chambers lock. This is the best fitting rifle I own and is the only one that may challenge the .45.
7405ae69-0012-4efa-886d-2651c9c08aae-zpswsnzqleq-1.jpg

This tiny, feather weight .36 SMR X 38" X 3/4" straight tube gets shot the most since it's easy/cheap to feed and phenomenally accurate.
PICT0577-zps0a824827.jpg

All are as plain as your girlfriend's spinster sister and wouldn't even be allowed in the room with the other guns posted in this thread.

right now it would have to be a rifle I just acquired from a forum member, it is my 62 cal. jaeger built several years ago by gun builder extraordinaire Steve zihn. it has a chambers water proof lock and ebony nose cap. I sent it back to Steve to have the front sling swivel repaired and he made a taller front sight and the barrel lugs replaced. it shoots as good as it looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
jaeger3.jpg
B55-E9-E30-D439-4018-858-A-AB7-AE9205062.jpg
jaeger8.jpg
jaeger7.jpg

Now that's a beauty.

right now it would have to be a rifle I just acquired from a forum member, it is my 62 cal. jaeger built several years ago by gun builder extraordinaire Steve zihn. it has a chambers water proof lock and ebony nose cap. I sent it back to Steve to have the front sling swivel repaired and he made a taller front sight and the barrel lugs replaced. it shoots as good as it looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 37859View attachment 37860View attachment 37861View attachment 37862

Hi,
Well my current favorite is my recently built 1770's rifled British officer's fusil. Because I built it, the stock fits me well. I made the lock from castings copied from an original John Twigg flintlock. I applied much of what I know about locks and lock geometry to produce a very reliable and fast lock. The barrel is the surprise. It is a 62 caliber "D" weight Griffin rifled barrel from Colerain with round-bottomed rifling. I bought it from Chris Laubach and did not know that it was also slightly choked. A lot of my serious target shooter friends swear by choked rifle barrels but I had no experience with them. I shot the rifle for the first time to sight it in this week. I previously used a laser bore sighter, which usually gets the gun hitting the scoring areas on paper at 50 yards. My first shot was 3 o'clock in the 9 ring at 50 yards. The next 5 were clover leafed with the first. I played with different charges and patches, and the gun just kept putting the shots in the black. I tweaked the front sight a little to bring the group to center and for now, I am done sighting it in. In that process, I had no misfires from the lock. Today, I shot a woodswalk with the rifle and had one of the best shoots ever. I've now fired over 70 rounds through the gun with no misfires and no change of flints. The "D" weight barrel is 1.23" across at the breech but tapers rapidly in the first 12 inches. The balance is superb and with 80-90 grains of 2F powder, you don't feel much recoil. The rifle only weighs about 8.5 pounds.

dave
KIsn15S.jpg

A0G9EuZ.jpg

wmfwxzk.jpg

ZCXhR4S.jpg

MCplaIf.jpg

MjhOD0I.jpg

zumneJN.jpg

ptBse1j.jpg

65ch8zc.jpg

7ZwL7fa.jpg

Favorite? Difficult to answer without specifying the gun's purpose. But I'll try.
My go-to deer rifle over the years is a late Lancaster style shorty (36") that has taken the majority of my BP deer. Nothing fancy and all are strictly "Plain Jane". But this little .45 feels just sooo good to hold.
PICT0384-1.jpg

Owned this early Lancaster/York/youth style .50 for a few years abut it has not taken game so far. Short, 12.5" lop, 38" "B" wgt Rice radius groove barrel and Chambers lock. This is the best fitting rifle I own and is the only one that may challenge the .45.
7405ae69-0012-4efa-886d-2651c9c08aae-zpswsnzqleq-1.jpg

This tiny, feather weight .36 SMR X 38" X 3/4" straight tube gets shot the most since it's easy/cheap to feed and phenomenally accurate.
PICT0577-zps0a824827.jpg

All are as plain as your girlfriend's spinster sister and wouldn't even be allowed in the room with the other guns posted in this thread.
Rifles might "look good" but they are not "pretty" unless they hit what you are shooting at. FACT

Wow! They’re all beautiful and would definitely rate as favorites.

Unfortunately I can’t participate. Mine are like my children. Can’t pick a favorite?

Each one brings back a special memory or event that I cherish.

Each one receives my time and attention when it comes to routine cleaning and checking.

I will add though that they fall into two categories. The untouchables that’ll never be sold or traded, at least by me?

The second category are vulnerable to sell or trade. Not that they’re not as nice but they don’t hold the emotional connection like the first category does.

If you’d like, I could post pics of everything I possess? 😅

Respectfully, Cowboy

My current fav is my Henry trade rifle in .50 cal. Very nicely balanced gun that fits neatly in my hand. It’s like handling a single shot .22 in terms of ergonomics. Super easy to shoot and hit offhand at 25-50m. As a bonus, it was built by a forum member here!
E9E8018D-1A1D-41F0-AA84-456987368376.jpeg

8B89384B-F296-48E0-B0D9-ABAF83EEAF36.jpeg
0E4D306D-2F50-4233-8379-E156B6B94A66.jpeg

It depends on what I'm going to be hunting. I have some guns by Jud Brennan of Alaska a. .54 Pennsylvania, .62 Jager, .32 a .36 plus a 12ga English Fowler made by Jud

Also another '62, three 20ga smooth bores another 12 ga and a 16ga all of my guns are flintlocks except one 11ga double barrel cap lock

gun-harem.jpg

Last edited:
Back