• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is your favorite game hunted using muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be elk and deer, now my favorite is Geese. Lifelong waterfowl hunter and moving to muzzleloading put a lot of the fun and enjoyment back into it for me. Don't know why I didn't do it years earlier, as I have been muzzleload hunting deer etc for a long time
Yes it is a great sport what do you use a 10 bore or smaller are you a proper fowler on the fore shore or lakes or do you prefer flight or shooting over barley stubbles .
Feltwad

Hogs:

kDqSWALl.jpg

Yes it is a great sport what do you use a 10 bore or smaller are you a proper fowler on the fore shore or lakes or do you prefer flight or shooting over barley stubbles .
Feltwad

A bit of both actually, some ducks over decoys along the shore and the occasional river float, but by far mostly Canada Geese in "stubble". Not barley though, but potatoes are their biggest attractant here.

About the only "flight" (pass?) shooting I do is when a flock of geese passes over the residence in the evening and gets careless, or a flock of ducks does the same coming into the beaver pond below the house, in the woods. I don't really make a habit of it though and it is more of a chance thing, being surrounded by agricultural fields, with a bit of woods and a swamp down back. I generally just enjoy watching them winging in in the evening.

I use a 12 bore percussion SxS, and bismuth shot, due to our regs on lead, but have been on the lookout for a 10 bore. Hope fully one of these days I'll run across one at the right time.

Been at it for many years as I said, and hunted the central flyway from origins of the Mississippi, to the delta country, having lived in both Minnesota and Louisiana. Now I am in the Northeast and the Canadas are king here locally, and outnumber all other waterfowl by a wide margin.

As I said, picking up muzzleloading for waterfowl the last few years has renewed my interest and made it "fun" again, but it truly is a great sport.

As much as I enjoy deer and elk hunting, I find I'm enjoying small game hunting more these days. Between snowshoe hares, cottontails and grouse I would have a hard time picking a favorite. If I were forced to pick only one it would probably be snowshoe hare.

For small game I prefer to use a .54 or .58 with a prb and reduced powder charge. I have a couple .32s but prefer the big bore guns. I've been playing with light charges and a prb in my smoothbore .62 Renegade flintlock and plan to use it this fall.

Probably squirrels and or spring turkey with either of my 20 gauge smoothbores, smooth rifle or Tule FdC.

It would be whitetail deer if our muzzleloader deer season wasn't in late December when the weather is rotten and the deer have been pushed and pressured for a few months of archery and shotgun seasons.

Back